Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Samantha Everett's Hair (from Gray Matter) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/25212-samantha-everetts-hair-gray-matter.html)

Marduk 07-28-2009 07:17 AM

Samantha Everett's Hair (from Gray Matter)

You've all seen the Samantha Everett model for grey matter? I mean the finished avatar we'll be moving around throughout the game.

Am I the only one annoyed by her hair? She has this truly ugly fringe. I've seen it on plenty of men and thought "wow; that hair cut really doesn't work" but when I see it on a woman I think something along the lines of "OMG IS THAT LEGAL?" I'm not even really into fashion so I have no idea why that particular style of fringe irks me quite the way it does.

One of my closest friends has a fringe almost exactly the same and I just want to pin her down and cut it off or at least gel it back or something...

This has been bothering me since I first saw the screenshots of the game but I didn't say anything because I assumed the hair matched the character. But, having, finally taken a gander of the concept art I note that she has a fair few piercings and slightly punky gelled (spelling?) hair. Why on earth has her appearance been changed? I have tried to find some explanation but I must admit I don't even know where the right place to look is. I've checked out a couple of Jane Jensen interviews but I don't think I was expecting to find the answer there because, really, is that the kind of thing an interviewer asks?

AndreaDraco83 07-28-2009 07:32 AM

I'm assuming that you mean the change between this first artwork of Sam and the new final model by Wizarbox?

Aside from the fact that I like both versions of Sam, with maybe just a slight preference toward the second one, Dinga Bakaba, the head of the team currently developing Gray Matter, said the following in his blog post dated 21st November 2008 about the characters' models overhaul:

Quote:

Then there were the characters. As you have read in the preceding word from Jane, she likes to put a lot of polish and care in crafting her characters. For the same reason, we decided to rework a bit of the character’s design to get more expressive, unique, and engaging characters.

Marduk 07-28-2009 07:59 AM

Well, at least I now know to whom I shall be sending my angry email... :P

3rdFloor 07-28-2009 08:35 AM

I actually love the latest model for Samantha, particularly her clothes. She looks very unique compared to other female protagonists. I don't mind the hair either.

QDream 07-28-2009 09:46 AM

You are unbelievable

AndreaDraco83 07-28-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QDream (Post 518222)
You are unbelievable

Can you explain? As it is, without even a quote, your post is a bit pointless ;)

QDream 07-28-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 (Post 518223)
Can you explain? As it is, without even a quote, your post is a bit pointless ;)

I was referring to the original poster.. the fact that he is nitpicking on characters hair style from a game that probably won't see a light of the day is unbelievable to me :D

Marduk 07-28-2009 11:56 AM

I think she's talking about me. I knew I'd seem irrational; as I was typing I knew it was an irrational kind of rant even for me (and I'll rant about anything, I find it fun).

If it was directed at me then I'd also like to point out that the comment about sending hate male regarding the model's haircut wasn't to be taken seriously).

I don't mind the clothes, though. It's just the hair.

QDream 07-28-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 518229)
I think she's talking about me.

It's a he.

3rdFloor 07-28-2009 12:09 PM

*Laughs* This thread is so funny!

Well, I looked at Wizarbox's newest 3D render again (thanks for the convenient links, Andrea) and I must now make this proclamation: Gray Matter's Sam is TOTALLY HOT!! I mean, seriously, I go nuts for girls like that in real life. Just look at that outfit, it's crazy!

And what's wrong with her hair? This render just shows them tied with a comb-like thing.

Nico Sels 07-28-2009 12:10 PM

QDream: I'm SO gonna gloat when you have the game in your hands!:devil:

Marduk 07-28-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QDream (Post 518228)
I was referring to the original poster.. the fact that he is nitpicking on characters hair style from a game that probably won't see a light of the day is unbelievable to me :D

Wow.... I know it's been pushed back a while but to say it "won't see a light of the day".... wow....

I'd just like to point out that I'm really looking forward to this game.

I think if the only probably I currently foresee is the hair of a central character then there's cause to be cautiously optimistic.

I'd also like to say that the hair in question, of (more specifically) the fringe of the haircut in question, is absolutely FUGLY. I mean... You can't see it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadWolf (Post 518233)
And what's wrong with her hair? This render just shows them tied with a comb-like thing.

Actually this one isn't so bad.

I was actually looking at the model on the game's home page and there screenshots there.

And there the fringe looks like somebody tried to put her hair in a bun then give her a pudding basin cut.
Quote:

Originally Posted by QDream (Post 518231)
It's a he.

You don't look like one, madam!

3rdFloor 07-28-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 518236)
I'd also like to say that the hair in question, of (more specifically) the fringe of the haircut in question, is absiloutly FUGLY. I mean... You can't see it?

*Laughs* Yes I do see it but I think she's BEAUTIFUL!!! I don't care how her hair is set up, she's totally awesome! In fact, she's quickly becoming my all-time favorite character now. I'm sorry, I can't agree with you on this.

Marduk 07-28-2009 12:49 PM

BAH! You're just trying to antagonise my irrational hatred of her fringe for your own amusement.

But just to clarify; in the original post I was comparing her hair in this sketch (image 17 on the home page, under "Artworks") to this abominable fringe. I assumed the latter was current artwork (as it's on display on the website) but now I realise how the character looks now I'm fine with it. It really is an improvement.

Nico Sels 07-28-2009 12:59 PM

I too think the restyled Sam looks awesome.. it's a character that's truly original. not just an average pretty face with big b**bs. but an extravagant tomboyish (yet feminine) girl with 'spike'.

plus, placed in the backgrounds of the game.. it looks MUCH better than the previous version of sam:

http://cort-x.fwheel.net/images/GM_integration2.jpg
http://cort-x.fwheel.net/images/GM_integration1.jpg

Elena 07-28-2009 01:00 PM

She's beautiful,but not the girl next door beautiful.She's exotic...
But i think that's the point.Extreme hair,clothes...Her looks are extreme.But,we will remember her for this "exaggeration" ...

3rdFloor 07-28-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 518242)
BAH! You're just trying to antagonise my irrational hatred of her fringe for your own amusement.

I assure you, that wasn't my intention. I simply find the whole conversation to be funny and highly enjoyable, that's all. Furthermore, I'm laughing at myself for "falling in love" with a 3D character. Sam really does remind me of girls I see around sometimes, the likes of which truly make my heart melt.

Gosh, just listen to me. :crazy:

AndreaDraco83 07-28-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico Sels (Post 518243)
plus, placed in the backgrounds of the game.. it looks MUCH better than the previous version of sam:

Drooling... Awesome! But I can't wait to see Wizarbox's remake of Dread Hill House too!

Marduk 07-28-2009 01:39 PM

I wouldn't call it extreme, but it is way better than the earlier models and concepts. This is extreme. Well, I think it is, anyway, though not everybody would.

But I wouldn't call it original. I can remember when that kind of style was common (it still kinda is, in some places). Look at this young lady... She doesn't have the same hair but a very similar hair style, my thinks, only more corporate parody, less modern day pirate. (The word "hawt" springs to mind).
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadWolf (Post 518245)
I assure you, that wasn't my intention. I simply find the whole conversation to be funny and highly enjoyable, that's all.

Don't worry, my comment about "trying to antagonise my irrational hatred" was my attempt to further the humour of the thread. It was intended to sound silly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico Sels (Post 518243)
I too think the restyled Sam looks awesome.. it's a character that's truly original. not just an average pretty face with big b**bs. but an extravagant tomboyish (yet feminine) girl with 'spike'.

I don't think she's tomboyish at all, while I don't think she appears to be some sexist fantasy, she's still highly sexualised in appearance.... The new model has a larger bust and we can see more cleavage, that bustier/corset type thing is... well that kind of speaks for itself, but they and the tight jeans are nothing if not figure hugging.

[EDIT] BTW, aren't we allowed to use the word 'boobs' on this forum? I never realised it was considered offensive by anybody?
[EDIT 2] Is that a birthmark or tatoo on her chest? Either way it draws attention to the breast which is a way of sexualising her, kinda....

Nico Sels 07-28-2009 01:51 PM

not a clue about the boobs thing. but figured I'd play on the safe side! ;-)