You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Samantha Everett's Hair (from Gray Matter)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #21

You know,that remind me when the first "Tomb Raider" game was released and Lara Croft had a big cleavage .And everyone was talking about super sexy Lara Croft...
Maybe,they want to do the same here???A super sexy character????
Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #22
merely human

She looks like Sarah Palin trying to be a cheap street corner pirate for hire (by the hour). How revolting.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #23

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Well, I can't notice the Palin resemblance even with my toughest effort.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #24
merely human

Well, unfortunately, I can. It's hard for me to take a character seriously when she looks like a caricature of desperate, stereotypically buxom female. I think there are other ways of presenting her as an individualistic type without resorting to predictability. It's as if the person who conceived her completely flunked out of fashion styling class and as revenge created this look. I'm with Marduk on this one.

Of course, I would still play the game, but I will not forgive this detail. FAIL.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #25

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Well, unfortunately, I can. It's hard for me to take a character seriously when she looks like a caricature of desperate, stereotypically buxom female. I think there are other ways of presenting her as an individualistic type without resorting to predictability. It's as if the person who conceived her completely flunked out of fashion styling class and as revenge created this look. I'm with Marduk on this one.

Of course, I would still play the game, but I will not forgive this detail. FAIL.
I said she was highly sexualised, I didn't say I didn't like her look. I said the newer model had had a larger bust, but IRL this effect can be easily achieved with a push up bra. Women like to try and look sexy

But you can't complain about female characters looking (dare I say) sexy when there are so many games with highly muscular or otherwise very attractive men. Never let it be said that there aren't unrealistic standards of beauty for both sexes in the world of computer games.

I applaud your feminism, though.

To be honest, I like the way she's dressed. I think I'd even consider a more masculine version of her outfit. (No corset/bustier thingy, longer, baggier jeans, longer shirt... I'd still probably have the shirt un-buttoned. I don't think anybody would comment on seeing my chest). It's a kinda contemporary punky pirate thing.

Hell, I already have suitable boots, although mine are plat formers... But I can't lace them up the whole way because (and I'm not just bragging) I have extremely meaty calf muscles and I can't get laces long enough to account for this.

By the way, I don't understand your comment on Sarah Palin. I looked her up because I wasn't 100% certain who you meant (I remembered the name, presumably from the episode of South Park).
Old 07-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
I said she was highly sexualised, I didn't say I didn't like her look. I said the newer model had had a larger bust, but IRL this effect can be easily achieved with a push up bra. Women like to try and look sexy
I didn't imply that you didn't like her look. I merely stated that my view is in sync with yours, including her hair.

Quote:
But you can't complain about female characters looking (dare I say) sexy when there are so many games with highly muscular or otherwise very attractive men. Never let it be said that there aren't unrealistic standards of beauty for both sexes in the world of computer games.
Oh yes, I can complain. I also complain about the lack of baskets and rear ends on male characters, especially when they're hyper-masculine (serious muscles, gait, voice, etc.). I figure that if many straight men out there love hyper-sexualized women in their games, why can't women and we gay men have our male version of it? If there must "unrealistic standards of beauty" in games, why not then do it across the board?

Quote:
To be honest, I like the way she's dressed. I think I'd even consider a more masculine version of her outfit. (No corset/bustier thingy, longer, baggier jeans, longer shirt... I'd still probably have the shirt un-buttoned. I don't think anybody would comment on seeing my chest). It's a kinda contemporary punky pirate thing.
My main grievance, personally, is that it's an annoyingly predictable take on what you call "punky pirate thing". If she's supposed to be a fringe type who is expressively sexy, there are other ways to doing it that don't call on stereotypes. I've worked in the fashion industry (styling, design, press) for over 15 years and have a degree in Fine Arts, so I have certain sensibilities in this regard. What Samantha looks like is a textbook bullet point list of how to present a certain character. How disappointing.

Call it nitpicking, but I firmly put my foot down.

Quote:
By the way, I don't understand your comment on Sarah Palin. I looked her up because I wasn't 100% certain who you meant (I remembered the name, presumably from the episode of South Park).
Well, I understand it. She looks too much like Palin.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 07-28-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #27

All I can say from a heterosexual male is that the girl is hot.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #28

Honestly, though I like the way she looks, I'm far more interested in what she has to say.

On the other hand:
"Don't mind if I do."
Old 07-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
Honestly, though I like the way she looks, I'm far more interested in what she has to say.

On the other hand:
"Don't mind if I do."
Yes, I agree. But the thread is mainly about her hairdo. Now that you mention it however, I'm really curious about the voice she'll have. While I don't hold a shadow of a doubt about the quality of the game's script, and in particular, the dialogue writing it shall bear, I do however wonder and care about voice acting and the whole delivery of that writing.

Jane Jensen is a marvelous writer. Let's hope the voice director for Gray Matter will find the necessary resources and inspiration to give Samantha a true voice. A voice of her own.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #30
The Quiet One

I, to, have no problems with her hair or her new look. I love the whole 'rocker chick' thing she has going on. I think it's definitely an improvement to the way she used to look.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 AM   #31

Quote:
I figure that if many straight men out there love hyper-sexualized women in their games, why can't women and we gay men have our male version of it? If there must "unrealistic standards of beauty" in games, why not then do it across the board?
Is that really important? That we gay man obtain our own personal version of an hyper-sexualized fantasy? According to one's tastes, there are plenty of opportunity to appease our eyes in our little, beloved genre, from Baron Von Glower to Miles Edgeworth, etc. But this is not the point. See, normally I agree with you (in fact I did, for the infamous Mata Hari cover), but this time is different. And this is why...

Quote:
My main grievance, personally, is that it's an annoyingly predictable take on what you call "punky pirate thing".
If you have read 'Twas the night before, you know that this particular outfit, which isn't her usual one, was a gift to her and, from a story perspective, it makes perfectly sense that she is dressed a bit like a punk-archetype. Furthermore, the fact that she abundantly shows her bosom is explained by her job as a street magician and, as the short story clearly states, many fathers and adult men were enticed by her appearance and, thus, stopped to see the show and generously tipped her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
Well said!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:12 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Sels View Post
QDream: I'm SO gonna gloat when you have the game in your hands!
You won't, because I don't buy games..
Old 07-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
If you have read 'Twas the night before, you know that this particular outfit, which isn't her usual one, was a gift to her and, from a story perspective, it makes perfectly sense that she is dressed a bit like a punk-archetype. Furthermore, the fact that she abundantly shows her bosom is explained by her job as a street magician and, as the short story clearly states, many fathers and adult men were enticed by her appearance and, thus, stopped to see the show and generously tipped her.
It had been a while since I read that, so I went back to Jane's blog and carefully read the story again. It's so amazing and unique! It makes Samantha look even more interesting to me. I simply can't wait for Gray Matter!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
It had been a while since I read that, so I went back to Jane's blog and carefully read the story again. It's so amazing and unique! It makes Samantha look even more interesting to me. I simply can't wait for Gray Matter!
Indeed! I can't wait to know David better... he's the one the intrigued me since the first time I heard about the game.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #35

Oh wow.

I really like the re-styled Sam in the 3D rendering image. I hope that's not just an extremely high definition rendering compared to what we will be getting in the game. Those integration images show exactly what I mean.

I'll be really disappointed if she doesn't have the personality to match, though.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #36

Quote:
Oh yes, I can complain. I also complain about the lack of baskets and rear ends on male characters, especially when they're hyper-masculine (serious muscles, gait, voice, etc.).
"Lack of baskets"?
Quote:
I figure that if many straight men out there love hyper-sexualized women in their games, why can't women and we gay men have our male version of it? If there must "unrealistic standards of beauty" in games, why not then do it across the board?
Because in games the characters are more often supposed to represent people we'd like to be than people we'd like to do.
Quote:
What Samantha looks like is a textbook bullet point list of how to present a certain character. How disappointing.
Hmmm... Yeah, maybe. As but a games designer wouldn't be trying to create new and provocative designs for clothes so much as try to capture the look and feel of an existing trend.

To somebody in the fashion industry, like yourself, her look might be cliché. To a big fan of different kinds of rock music, like myself, she's nothing out of the ordinary (and that white shirt, if nothing else, might even make her seem more conservative) but to the ordinary, neurotypical suburbanite who doesn't get out much she'd appear as something of a 'wild child'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QDream View Post
By this you mean...?

Last edited by Marduk; 07-29-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDream View Post

if you're not gonna buy it. why bother answering to this thread?
if you're gonna download it... well... I'm not even going there.
if you get it for free as a reviewer. i'm still gonna gloat..
Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #38
Headbanger

Huh? Didn't see this one coming.

I think she looks absolutely great. Based on "Twas the night before" (which is all the information we have about her) it fits her personality. Personally I couldn't have imagined a better character design.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #39

As a gay man I have to say: Huh!?

Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
As a gay man I have to say: Huh!?

in response to whom?