You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure King's Quest, Space Quest -- Now on Steam

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #1

Default King's Quest, Space Quest -- Now on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2679/

Thought you folks might want to know that the Space Question Collection and the King's Quest Collection are now both available on Steam. They're $20 each, on sale for $15 until July 30th.

If you don't already own them, they're unquestionably worth it at this price, even if you're not a fan of Sierra in general. King's Quest 6 alone is worth $20 in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #2

the space quest collection has already been marked down to 14.99!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #3

This is great news! I'm delighted that King's Quest can finally get some "modern" exposure. And I agree, King's Quest VI is worth the admission price on its own. It's probably my favorite game of all time.

PS: Upon glancing at the system requirements, I noticed those collections won't work under Windows XP 64-Bit or any version of Vista. Probably nothing that DOSBox can't handle, though.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Banned User

Weird, GOG would fight to make it work under Vista/7 and 64xp
Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
PS: Upon glancing at the system requirements, I noticed those collections won't work under Windows XP 64-Bit or any version of Vista. Probably nothing that DOSBox can't handle, though.
Actually it says: "* Some games in this collection may run under Windows XP 64 and Vista 32/64, but are not officially supported"

So I guess they're saying: Hey, it MIGHT work. I mean go ahead and BUY it. But if it doesn't work, well good luck.

At least they're honest?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #6

yeah i was surprised to see these collections on steam just now. no fanfare at all, no previous announcement, and worst of all they are not guaranteed to work on modern OS. im not impressed. those definately deserved more love than this. i wont be getting them until theres a guarantee they'll work.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Weird, GOG would fight to make it work under Vista/7 and 64xp
Yeah. I'm left to assume Activision took the game code directly from those collections Vivendi put out in 2006, which were basically packaged with DOSBox and "guaranteed" under XP and earlier Windows versions only (Vista came out a few months later). The images used for the Steam store headers are also taken from Vivendi's packaging.

I'm sure those Steam versions all work fine but releasing any game in 2009 that isn't compatible with Vista is impossibly lazy. And stupid. At least they did place the compatibility warning in a way that can't be missed, I'll give 'em that.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
Banned User

If they work on W7, then all power to steam. I just don't like games being release with no support for modern systems what so ever. A completely different thing from support for the game.

If they work, then sweet. I can't wait to get the Quest for Glory pack and hopefully a Sierra Classics pack. This is great news for all sierra fans. Right now, I'm trying to get Gabriel Knight 1 running in dosbox, but its having bad sound issues and some speed problems...either its a Windows 7 problem or the latest Dosbox build.

I'm still waiting for a re-release of Azrael's Tear though.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

Quote:

I'm sure those Steam versions all work fine but releasing any game in 2009 that isn't compatible with Vista is impossibly lazy. And stupid.
Glad to see these games coming out on steam. I was never a fan of the kings quest series i only managed to get into a couple of them but i played all the Space Quest games and thought they were pretty cool. I may have to get both collections at some stage. However, in reference to the comment above, isn't microsoft bringing out a new operating system next year anyway and canning Vista? Lets hope so because im just about ready to get a new PC and i didn't like the look of VIsta.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:44 AM   #10

I'm not buying these as I still have both collections at home on disc, but damn, these are good times for the adventure game genre.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT View Post
However, in reference to the comment above, isn't microsoft bringing out a new operating system next year anyway and canning Vista? Lets hope so because im just about ready to get a new PC and i didn't like the look of VIsta.
Yes, it's called Windows 7 and it will be available this November. However, Microsoft isn't canning Vista anytime soon, just as they still haven't canned XP; security updates for XP will continue to roll out until 2014 apparently. Windows 7 will feature a very similar user interface to Vista though, so if you didn't like Vista's look, you might be out of luck again. But Windows 7 has loads of enhancements, such as the removal of unnecessary components and services for a cleaner, more responsive experience. Personally, I love Vista and am glad Windows 7 is built with a similar interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaios View Post
I'm not buying these as I still have both collections at home on disc, but damn, these are good times for the adventure game genre.
I have no intention to buy them on Steam either, as I already own many Sierra collections from the nineties. I share the sentiment; these are indeed good times. I'm just disappointed to see Activision was to lazy to offer those games a more appropriate release on Steam. A lot of gamers who might have been interested to try these classics could very well end up skipping them because of the compatibility warning. Such a shame.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Yes, it's called Windows 7 and it will be available this November. However, Microsoft isn't canning Vista anytime soon, just as they still haven't canned XP; security updates for XP will continue to roll out until 2014 apparently. Windows 7 will feature a very similar user interface to Vista though, so if you didn't like Vista's look, you might be out of luck again. But Windows 7 has loads of enhancements, such as the removal of unnecessary components and services for a cleaner, more responsive experience. Personally, I love Vista and am glad Windows 7 is built with a similar interface.
I use to love Vista....then I found out it was all lies when I installed Windows 7. Now there is light! W7 is more compatible with programs than Vista, which is great. It also allows you to still have program security without nonstop security popups. Also there is the spotlight feature, realtime zoom (similar to the mac zoom), and themes which allow for random wallpapers, which is GREAT!

Anyways, I still have both collections, but it doesn't stop me from buying the steam versions. Honestly? CD's disintegrate. Online downloads from steam don't. So, this is protecting an investment. No, I'm not talking about the earlier investment, but the one of love toward these games.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
Junior Mint

Some versions of Windows 7 are supposed to have an XP virtualization engine that allows it to use 16-bit and earlier programs if you have a newer CPU that allows it. (If you don't have a newer CPU, you probably shouldn't be using Vista or 7 anyway.)
Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
Some versions of Windows 7 are supposed to have an XP virtualization engine that allows it to use 16-bit and earlier programs if you have a newer CPU that allows it. (If you don't have a newer CPU, you probably shouldn't be using Vista or 7 anyway.)
Yeah, thats for the Ultimate Edition of W7.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #15

I only played one or two of these series way back when they came out. First I thought they we're a little expensive, but you get the WHOLE Space Quest amd Kings Quest series for under 15 euros.
They run on 2000/XP, so that might be overcome in compatability mode in Vista. Windows 7 has a special XP mode build into it - but you only get that with the expensive version I heard.
Anyways, a nice opportunity to get my hands on these series. I hear a lot good things about them hear at AG.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #16

The only game I can't run in Vista is Broken Sword 3 (American), because of superlame Starforce protection. But I'd feel a lot better about downloading if I knew if anyone WAS able to run it on Vista. If it didn't, I'd be pissed.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
The only game I can't run in Vista is Broken Sword 3 (American), because of superlame Starforce protection. But I'd feel a lot better about downloading if I knew if anyone WAS able to run it on Vista. If it didn't, I'd be pissed.
The game isn't that great anyways. All the games after 3 were horrible. I'd wish they kep the cell shaded 2d visuals. The devs just can't handle 3d correctly.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #18

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantebk View Post
Actually it says: "* Some games in this collection may run under Windows XP 64 and Vista 32/64, but are not officially supported"

So I guess they're saying: Hey, it MIGHT work. I mean go ahead and BUY it. But if it doesn't work, well good luck.

At least they're honest?
I lol'd

But yeah, the honesty is refreshing.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #19
Club a seal or two

Apparently both of them are just disc collections from 2006, with no effort to update them to newer version of Dosbox. Buyers beware.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayel View Post
Apparently both of them are just disc collections from 2006, with no effort to update them to newer version of Dosbox. Buyers beware.
That's precisely what my gut feeling was; the same collections Vivendi put together. What an absurd showcase of laziness from Activision. They should learn a lesson from LucasArts' recent coming out on Steam. Their old classics aren't bundled with ScummVM, but are instead "re-coded" to perform well on modern operating systems. Now, that's the way to go about it.

Let's look at this comparison chart now...

LucasArts --}

Activision --}