Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   LucasArts teases about more big news! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/25053-lucasarts-teases-about-more-big-news.html)

Mastik 07-04-2009 10:53 AM

LucasArts teases about more big news!

In monday, LucasArts will announce another revival of a classic!!!
Was found out in Twitter, here is the proof:
http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/04/luca...nt-for-monday/

I just love 2009 :)

Trumgottist 07-04-2009 11:25 AM

Update:
Quote:

It doesn't have to do with any specific intellectual property...
Not sure what to make of that.

Edit: The direct link is http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames if you want to learn more.

Jackal 07-04-2009 11:53 AM

Welcome to AG, Mastik. :)

I understand the enthusiasm, but I changed your thread title. Those Twitter messages say nothing at all about reviving anything. In fact, saying it's not IP-specific suggests it's no such thing.

GoT 07-04-2009 01:06 PM

He does say its something for the old school fans. Not long to wait to find out if its genuine tho. If its Loom i'll loose it.

Mastik 07-04-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal (Post 515387)
Welcome to AG, Mastik. :)

I understand the enthusiasm, but I changed your thread title. Those Twitter messages say nothing at all about reviving anything. In fact, saying it's not IP-specific suggests it's no such thing.

Yea np mate :)

Lupin The Third 07-06-2009 07:35 AM

I had a dream last night and in it Lucasarts announced that not only will their full library of classics get the MI SE treatment, but they've entered an agreement to do the same with classic Sierra games beginning with Kings Quest, Phantasmagoria, Space Quest, and Gabriel Knight....one can dare to dream, right?:crazy:

Toothless Gibbon 07-06-2009 08:11 AM

Digital re-releases of the classics (via steam or something) and/or new platforms (iPhone/Ds) ?

Keregioz 07-06-2009 09:10 AM

Is it Monday yet??

mosdl 07-06-2009 09:34 AM

http://www.lucasarts.com/company/vip...og_2009.pdfcom

Future Back-Catalog Announcements to be Made at http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames.
Subscribe today!
Back by Popular Demand, LOOM, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and
Star Wars Battlefront II Headline List of Games Soon to be Available via Direct
Download!
LucasArts Continues Initiative to Revive Classic Gaming Titles

Lucien21 07-06-2009 09:34 AM

Future Back-Catalog Announcements to be Made at http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames.
Subscribe today!
Back by Popular Demand, LOOM, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and
Star Wars Battlefront II Headline List of Games Soon to be Available via Direct
Download!
LucasArts Continues Initiative to Revive Classic Gaming Titles
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – July 6, 2009 – Fans have asked and LucasArts has
delivered! Today the company announced a new initiative in its effort to revive its
classic and beloved franchises by making its games available for the first time ever as
digital downloads online.
In this first round of releases, ten fan-favorite LucasArts PC games will be made
available Wednesday, July 8 on Steam®, Valve Corporation's delivery and management
platform for the PC. Scheduled for release are classic adventure titles like LOOM and
The Dig and hit action games including Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Republic
Commando.
The complete list of games to be released on July 8 via Steam includes:
• Armed and Dangerous™
• Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
• Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
• LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
• LOOM™
• Star Wars Battlefront® II
• Star Wars Republic Commando®
• Star Wars Starfighter™
• The Dig®
• Thrillville®: Off the Rails™
“This effort is going to make it possible to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to
LucasArts’ classic games,” said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts. “It also gives
more people a chance to play our games by making them available long after they’ve
disappeared from store shelves. We hope our fans are as excited as we are about our
plans and we can’t wait to share what’s coming next. This is just the beginning.”
This series of launches continues LucasArts’ new mission to revitalize its deep portfolio
of beloved gaming franchises.
LucasArts previously announced the return of the classic Monkey Island® franchise with
two new projects due to be released in the near future. Tomorrow, July 7, Telltale will
premiere the Tales of Monkey Island® game series on PC, delivering a completely new
epic storyline and swashbuckling flair that will unfold across five monthly episodes. The
first Tales of Monkey Island chapter is expected to release for WiiWare™ in the coming
weeks as well.
The Monkey Island celebration continues on July 15 when LucasArts publishes The
Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, a completely re-imagined version of the first
game in the series that adds updated high definition graphics, a re-mastered musical
score, and full voiceover to the classic adventure game originally launched in 1990. The
Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will be made available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade
for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PC via
Steam and other online distribution channels.
Future announcements about the re-release of LucasArts’ back catalog titles will be made
through LucasArts’ Twitter feed at http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames.
About Steam
The leading online platform for PC games and digital entertainment, Steam delivers new
releases and online services to over 20 million PC users around the world. For more
information, please visit www.steamgames.com.
About Valve
Valve is an entertainment software and technology company founded in 1996 and based
in Bellevue, Washington. For more information, please visit www.valvesoftware.com
About LucasArts
LucasArts, a division of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd., is a leading developer
and publisher of interactive entertainment software worldwide for video game console
systems, computers and the Internet. Based in San Francisco, Calif., as well as on the
Internet at www.lucasarts.com, LucasArts was created in 1982 by George Lucas to
provide an interactive element to his vision of a state-of-the-art, multifaceted
entertainment company.
LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES are trademarks or registered
trademarks of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. © 2009 Lucasfilm Entertainment
Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or TM as indicated. All rights reserved.
Nintendo trademarks used under license. WiiWare is available only through the Wii console.

mosdl 07-06-2009 09:35 AM

Never played Last Crusade and Loom, might have to get those.

Lucien21 07-06-2009 09:36 AM

The complete list of games to be released on July 8 via Steam includes:
• Armed and Dangerous™
• Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
• Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
• LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
• LOOM™
• Star Wars Battlefront® II
• Star Wars Republic Commando®
• Star Wars Starfighter™
• The Dig®
• Thrillville®: Off the Rails™

Lupin The Third 07-06-2009 09:36 AM

So they partnered with Steam? That was news? Letdown.

Mastik 07-06-2009 09:42 AM

I am really disappointed...

Lucien21 07-06-2009 09:45 AM

My guess is that they are testing the popularity of their old IP's.

If they sold like hotcakes then they might consider taking it further.

I think it is good news for anyone who hasn't played any of these old classics and want to play it on XP/Vista and can't figure out ScummVM or Dosbox.

mosdl 07-06-2009 09:46 AM

They are not going to do any more MI 1 style reworkings until they see the MI special edition do well.

Mastik 07-06-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 515608)

I think it is good news for anyone who hasn't played any of these old classics and want to play it on XP/Vista and can't figure out ScummVM or Dosbox.

Because SummVM is so complicated.

mosdl 07-06-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 515608)

They mention this is the first batch of games.

SamandMax 07-06-2009 09:55 AM

The fact that Lucasarts are actually re-releasing something like Loom seems like a pretty big news story to me. If these games and the MI remake sell well, and I'm sure Lucasarts are going to be checking the sales of them like a hawk, then they might consider remaking them or even continuing them in some way. As much as we'd like them to, I doubt they're suddenly going to announce Loom 2: The Weavening or a Day of the Tentacle 3D remake without feeling like the market would actually want to buy them, and re-releasing these old games is really the only way they can check to see if there's interest for them. These re-releases will play a big part in whether or not Lucasart's recent love for the old adventure games will continue or not.

DustyShinigami 07-06-2009 10:09 AM

Again, i think this is great news! And more of their back catalogue will be released, via Steam, in the future it seems. At least these old classics will be more accessible. This seems like a great year for adventure games. :) Let's all hope SOMI: SE sells well so we see more of their classics revived.

It's also great that the release date for SOMI: SE has been announced. I had a feeling it was going to be this month.