You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure LucasArts teases about more big news!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #61
Schattenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
personally i hate the beginning (hate is strong word but to me that one was kinda boring) how the tastes can differ
True

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 07-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #62

The Dig is f*****g awesome...

That's all.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #63

Send a message via Yahoo to cristane

Just bought The Dig Never played it before, actually it's one of the few Lucas Arts adventures I didn't try so far.

Hopefully these games will do well - Lucas Arts keeps mentioning on the twitter account that they need proof adventure games still sell. Maybe this will convince them to bring back to life other old franchises, after Monkey Island. *fingers crossed*
Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #64
Banned User

So many people thought the Dig was boring. I liked it because it was a really good serious adventure game.

I also loved the book.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #65
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
So many people thought the Dig was boring. I liked it because it was a really good serious adventure game.

I also loved the book.
The Dig was based on a book? Wow gotta hunt that one down...
Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Actually, they said the released Loom version would be the CD-ROM one. If you haven't played the floppy-disk version yet, then I strongly recommend that you play it first - I really didn't like the new graphic style of the CD version, plus they removed some of the dialogs and puzzles.
I've played both fairly recently and I didn't notice anything can you please explain and be specific?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee View Post
The Dig was based on a book? Wow gotta hunt that one down...
its teh other way around i believe. i also read the book back in the day cause i was such a dig fan
Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #68
Cake Maniac

Quote:
another neat feature is they kinda played around with the graphics to make the edges not QUITE as hard and obvious as they once were. it almost has a sort of watercolor look.
Is this optional? Does anyone have any comparison screenshots?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbX1138 View Post
Is this optional? Does anyone have any comparison screenshots?
as far as i can tell its not optional. but its really no big deal (sounds like you're not too fond of the idea), it doesn't change it dramatically at all, but it is noticeable.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:00 AM   #70

Do the adventure games, by any chance, have ACHIEVEMENTS?

Because that'd be awesome.

MASTER PUGILIST

Beat Schwarzeneggar or whatever his name is in a fair fight.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Onward! View Post
I've played both fairly recently and I didn't notice anything can you please explain and be specific?
Well, I played the CD version a long time ago (something like eight years), so it's hard for me to be very specific. I tried to find a webpage that lists all the differences but couldn't find one. You can find some information on the wikipedia page, as well as here and some examples for the dialog change here. The wikipedia page also says that the CD version lacks alternate solution to puzzles, but they don't give any specific example so I'm not sure what they mean.

To summarize, the three main complaints about the CD version are:

1. It lacks the music in the original game except for music playing on the background of spoken dialog. I think this is actually the worst thing, because the music in the floppy version of Loom is magnificent and really adds to the experience.

2. It lacks many close-ups from the original game. This is also a real shame because the original Loom was a very pretty game, and that is partly due to those close-ups.

3. The dialogs were cut-down. I am not sure how bad this is as I did not compare the dialogs one-to-one so I am not sure what was cut.

Edit: Also, not relevant to most people, but the original Loom version is one of the very few adventure games ever translated to hebrew, and so it was one of the first adventure games that I actually understood (played it when I was 8, until then I was playing mostly Sierra parser adventure games by knowing only 6 basic verbs and randomly combining them with words in the room description when I type "look" I was also still sure "talk man" is valid english and that the L is spoken). "גזע חמקמק האורגים האלה!"
Old 07-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #72

Quote:
Well, I played the CD version a long time ago (something like eight years), so it's hard for me to be very specific. I tried to find a webpage that lists all the differences but couldn't find one. You can find some information on the wikipedia page, as well as here and some examples for the dialog change here. The wikipedia page also says that the CD version lacks alternate solution to puzzles, but they don't give any specific example so I'm not sure what they mean.

1. It lacks the music in the original game except for music playing on the background of spoken dialog. I think this is actually the worst thing, because the music in the floppy version of Loom is magnificent and really adds to the experience.

2. It lacks many close-ups from the original game. This is also a real shame because the original Loom was a very pretty game, and that is partly due to those close-ups.

3. The dialogs were cut-down. I am not sure how bad this is as I did not compare the dialogs one-to-one so I am not sure what was cut.

Edit: Also, not relevant to most people, but the original Loom version is one of the very few adventure games ever translated to hebrew, and so it was one of the first adventure games that I actually understood (played it when I was 8, until then I was playing mostly Sierra parser adventure games by knowing only 6 basic verbs and randomly combining them with words in the room description when I type "look" I was also still sure "talk man" is valid english and that the L is spoken). "גזע חמקמק האורגים האלה!"
Thanks Matan. That really sucks then. I love all of the above, the dialogue, music and Close Ups add to this amazing world and to take that away would be wrong. Someone told me once the CD version was made by another company that might explain it.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #73
Banned User

Quote:
its teh other way around i believe. i also read the book back in the day cause i was such a dig fan
I read somewhere that Alan wrote it to be a movie, but it wasn't bought because the script for Armageddon was chosen (Another film where humans go up to an asteroid to prevent it from destroying earth, lol). So then it became a game.

The book and the game are actually quite different.

This is as close to what I read before:
Quote:
An impressive list of people worked on the game: The project leader was LucasArts' Sean Clark, Industrial Light and Magic created some of the CG imagery, it is based on a story idea by Steven Spielberg and has writing credits for Spielberg, author Orson Scott Card (who wrote the dialogue), and the well-known interactive fiction author Brian Moriarty (whose previous Lucas engagement was with Loom).

The Dig was originally conceived by Spielberg as an episode of Amazing Stories (and later as a film), but was concluded to be prohibitively expensive. During the game's release, the director did not deny the possibility of making it into a movie. However, over a decade later, no progress has been made on a film version of the story.

Last edited by kadji-kun; 07-09-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #74

Quote:
Fortunately, you should be able to find the music in just about any music store which sells classical music. It's from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake ballet.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktorbjorn View Post
Fortunately, you should be able to find the music in just about any music store which sells classical music. It's from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake ballet.
Yes, of course, but I like it in the context of the game

I guess it's nice music on its own as well, but I always picture the relevant scene from Loom when I hear it
Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #76
Pixiehunter

Quote:

I don't get it. I mean, it is understandable that they change a game upon re-release, but why degrade it like this? That would only cost extra in the process and you only loose quality. It is not like Loom was extremely "talkative", the dialogues were not endlessly long. I wonder how they could have cut in them without loosing important info.

As for the music...it was there for a reason. Sure, it wasn't necessary for the gameply, but Swan Lake in a game related to swans, and more importantly, a classical music piece in a game that has music as its main interface...to me it feels like there SHOULD be music in it, and Swan Lake fits this game best.

You know, after reading I am fearing a doom scenario, with people playing Loom, thinking it rather impoverished with its little music and cut-down dialogues, saying 'see, adventures are dead after all', LucasArts hearing this, saying 'see, we were right, people don't even like the classics anymore, why bother writing new games' and stopping with writing adventures once and for all...
Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
I don't get it. I mean, it is understandable that they change a game upon re-release, but why degrade it like this? That would only cost extra in the process and you only loose quality. It is not like Loom was extremely "talkative", the dialogues were not endlessly long. I wonder how they could have cut in them without loosing important info.
Technical reasons, probably. Loom had all sounds in one long (almost 55 minutes) audio track on the CD. It could play music and speech together during cutscenes because it was mixed that way on the track, but if it had played background music it would have had to interrupt it every time someone spoke. Perhaps the complete dialog didn't fit on one CD, though there is (at least) one scene where the CD version is longer than the original.

Later LucasArts did things differently, but I guess "talkie" games were still in their infancy.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #78
Pixiehunter

You know, that sounds really logical
Wonder why they were desperate to add talkie to the expense of other aspects, but I guess talkie was a rather big deal back then, especially with the rise of CD-ROM as a medium.

I don't know where my mind was when I wrote that reply, thinking that it was changed for the current re-release. Must...not...stalk...forum...when...sleepy...
Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 AM   #79

Quote:

Well though I'm to from Israel I still prefered playing it on english, it just sounds really weird in Hebrew, האורגים זה שם מפגר...
Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #80

Default Lucasart on Steam!

Lucasart is now on Steam! In the lineup are some good ol' adventures:
  • Loom
  • The Dig
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
All titles will change owner for a minor €3.99 each!