Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   LucasArts teases about more big news! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/25053-lucasarts-teases-about-more-big-news.html)

tabacco 07-06-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matan (Post 515718)
I didn't say this idea hurts anyone, just that I do not understand this decision marketing-wise. My prediction is that this would prove to be a bad idea as these games will not sell, but I would love to be found wrong.

Putting up games they've already made for sale on a new medium which has zero manufacturing costs. How can you think that's in any way a bad business decision?

Quote:

Actually, they said the released Loom version would be the CD-ROM one. If you haven't played the floppy-disk version yet, then I strongly recommend that you play it first - I really didn't like the new graphic style of the CD version, plus they removed some of the dialogs and puzzles.

I've played the game several times, thanks.

Matan 07-06-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco (Post 515721)
Putting up games they've already made for sale on a new medium which has zero manufacturing costs. How can you think that's in any way a bad business decision?

Maybe I can think it if I don't know it has zero manufacturing costs :)
Don't they have to port the SCUMM engine to work on Windows XP, as well as extensively test the games to make sure the port didn't introduce any new bugs?

SamandMax 07-06-2009 11:43 PM

On Wednesday, people will log onto Steam and see a big ad for Loom staring them in the face...how is that not exciting news? LucasArts have actually found a feasible way of releasing adventure games again, that's the best news this genre has had in years.

Lucien21 07-06-2009 11:53 PM

Some people are just never happy whatever you do.

Lucasarts for years was under management that was only interested in Star Wars and ignored their back catalogue. Now they have a CEO who is an known adventure game fan and is happy to start doing stuff with their old IP's.

They are remaking MI, gave telltale the MI license to play with, releasing some of their old games for a new market and most probably coming out with Ipod versions at some point (the CEO more or less announced it with a nod, nod wink wink comment).

It's good to see Lucasarts acknowledge their back catalogue and giving it some love.

It's a good start.

Matan 07-07-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 515727)

Lucasarts for years was under management that was only interested in Star Wars and ignored their back catalogue. Now they have a CEO who is an known adventure game fan and is happy to start doing stuff with their old IP's.

They are remaking MI, gave telltale the MI license to play with, releasing some of their old games for a new market and most probably coming out with Ipod versions at some point (the CEO more or less announced it with a nod, nod wink wink comment).

It's good to see Lucasarts acknowledge their back catalogue and giving it some love.

It's a good start.

*hmph* it's really annoying these days that you can't complain about anything without being regarded as a common internet troll. I'm really glad about Lucasarts giving telltale the license to do a new monkey island (and I can't wait for it to be released already!). I'm also pretty happy regarding the new version of Monkey Island 1 (although it's not as exciting for me, since I already have the old version and I'm pretty much happy with it).

These news regarding Steam... can't see the excitement in that. Nice of Lucasarts to acknowledge their back catalogue, but they're not really giving it too much love since as Tobacco said this has zero manufacturing cost.

UPtimist 07-07-2009 12:14 AM

Finally a chance to get the Indiana Jones games. And Loom too, though I'll start with Indy...

Excellent! (and better than what I expected)

Now if just Vivendi or whatever it's called nowadays would take note.

Antaios 07-07-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 515727)

It's a good start.

I'm definitely happy for the people that now finally have the chance to legally purchase and play these classic games, and yes, it's a good start. Let's hope something good comes out of this.

But I also completely agree with JohnGreenArt. They shouldn't have hyped it as "something new for the old fans," because that's exactly what it isn't. And though this deal with Steam isn't a bad thing per se, it has left some of the old fans, like myself and, I think, JohnGreenArt, somewhat disappointed after the anticipation of something "awesome." This isn't "awesome." It's a good deal, that's all.

Oh, and is there a specific thread to introduce oneself properly? Guess I should do that now, after this post. ;)

Lucien21 07-07-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matan (Post 515728)
These news regarding Steam... can't see the excitement in that. Nice of Lucasarts to acknowledge their back catalogue, but they're not really giving it too much love since as Tobacco said this has zero manufacturing cost.

Never called you a Troll, besides it wasn't aimed specifically at you, but at the general meh response to the announcement.

Sure we would all love them to announce a brand new adventure game IP, but realistically they are not going to do that.

I wasn't overly excited about the Telltale doing MI announcement as I too would have prefered something new and I didn't think that the standard Telltale game template will work with MI (although I hope to be proven wrong), but i'm happy overall that Lucasarts are actually doing something with the IP's rather than keeping them locked in a cupboard.

Matan 07-07-2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 515732)
Never called you a Troll, besides it wasn't aimed specifically at you, but at the general meh response to the announcement.

Of course you weren't aiming specifically at me, I was speaking on behalf of all of us giving the general meh response :P

vivasawadee 07-07-2009 03:46 AM

I think price might be a factor here. Does anyone know what they will charge for Loom and Indy?

Trumgottist 07-07-2009 05:18 AM

Quote:

Actually, they said the released Loom version would be the CD-ROM one. If you haven't played the floppy-disk version yet, then I strongly recommend that you play it first - I really didn't like the new graphic style of the CD version, plus they removed some of the dialogs and puzzles.

But the CD version is the only one available, so I'll happily play that anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matan (Post 515723)
Maybe I can think it if I don't know it has zero manufacturing costs :)
Don't they have to port the SCUMM engine to work on Windows XP, as well as extensively test the games to make sure the port didn't introduce any new bugs?

Compared to doing a new game, that's no money. Besides, they had already made a Windows version of the SCUMM engine for Sam and Max a couple of years ago. Or maybe they are reusing what thay've done for Monkey Island?

SamandMax 07-07-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivasawadee (Post 515768)
I think price might be a factor here. Does anyone know what they will charge for Loom and Indy?

Maaaaaybe $4.99 but $9.99 is more likely

PhoenixWrong 07-08-2009 09:56 AM

They are up now, you can find them here.

The old adventure games are only $4.99 each! Which ones are worth buying?

Bruno_Malta 07-08-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong (Post 515965)

Only 5 bucks??? :crazy:
Then i think it´s worth!

darksurtur 07-08-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong (Post 515965)

I definitely recommend Indy and the Fate of Atlantis; it hooked me on the genre. Many people will probably recommend the Dig, but I found it very painful to play (the story was decent). I've never played LOOM and will probably pick it up.

Bruno_Malta 07-08-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksurtur (Post 515968)
I definitely recommend Indy and the Fate of Atlantis; it hooked me on the genre. Many people will probably recommend the Dig, but I found it very painful to play (the story was decent). I've never played LOOM and will probably pick it up.

The Dig is boring. I recommend also "Fate of Atlantis" which is the best Indy game i have ever played.

Matan 07-08-2009 10:40 AM

I can't believe all the hard words the dig is getting here - it is great. Actually, if you haven't got them already, I'd buy Fate of Atlantis, The Dig and Loom (except for Loom as I said I much prefer the non-talkie version so maybe you could wait until they release that one). The Last Crusade isn't very good.

tastebud 07-08-2009 11:06 AM

after seeing the €3.99 pricetag i bought:

-the dig (played three times before)
-loom (never played)
-fate of atlantis (played countless times, note my avatar icon ;-) )

just some info: all the games have full voiceovers and another neat feature is they kinda played around with the graphics to make the edges not QUITE as hard and obvious as they once were. it almost has a sort of watercolor look.

Concerning "the dig" i DO understand some of the criticism that the game got as i can see how some people may find it boring. personally i love the atmosphere, its a very mature themed kind of game that deals with a lot of philosophical/existential questions. theres not much action there and more sort of exploration of an alien world and culture. i like it, but i accept that it may not be for everyone.

Bruno_Malta 07-08-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tastebud (Post 515977)
after seeing the €3.99 pricetag i bought:

-the dig (played three times before)
-loom (never played)
-fate of atlantis (played countless times, note my avatar icon ;-) )

just some info: all the games have full voiceovers and another neat feature is they kinda played around with the graphics to make the edges not QUITE as hard and obvious as they once were. it almost has a sort of watercolor look.

Concerning "the dig" i DO understand some of the criticism that the game got as i can see how some people may find it boring. personally i love the atmosphere, its a very mature themed kind of game that deals with a lot of phisophical/existential questions. theres not much action there and more sort of exploration of an alien world and culture. i like it, but i accept that it may not be for everyone.

My problem withe The Dig is that is has a huge cool opening and when you arrive on the planet, things star to fall apart.

tastebud 07-08-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno_Malta (Post 515978)
My problem withe The Dig is that is has a huge cool opening and when you arrive on the planet, things star to fall apart.

personally i hate the beginning (hate is strong word but to me that one was kinda boring) :D how the tastes can differ