You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Just finished Nibiru - SPOILERS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default Just finished Nibiru - SPOILERS

I just finished Nibiru. I enjoyed it, but what a strange game. So many weird things happen. For instance, when Martin finds the body of that French archeologist in the locker in the military camp, he just locks it in the locker again and tries his best to enter the mine. He doesn't even tell the major about it. I would think that some strange artifact that has been lying around for thousands of years can wait a few days so the body can be sorted out. Furthermore, when Martin is in Paris, there is a beach just outside the hotel. I never knew Paris was near the sea, and the map in the game also showed Paris on its normal place in France. And at the end, when it turned out that he had done all his hard work for nothing, the game abruptly ended. Very dissatisfying. Martin could have at least be shown to pick up his old life again. There are also quite a few loose ends in the game. What about the Indians, who saw their destiny destroyed? The machine certainly didn't work anymore after that little ball was removed. What happened to George? Who buried Martin's uncle? And maybe I missed it, but why did Martin lose his telephone somewhere in the middle of the game, and why didn't he buy a new one?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Raz Mataz

Send a message via MSN to Raz Mataz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I just finished Nibiru. I enjoyed it, but what a strange game. So many weird things happen. For instance, when Martin finds the body of that French archeologist in the locker in the military camp, he just locks it in the locker again and tries his best to enter the mine. He doesn't even tell the major about it. I would think that some strange artifact that has been lying around for thousands of years can wait a few days so the body can be sorted out. Furthermore, when Martin is in Paris, there is a beach just outside the hotel. I never knew Paris was near the sea, and the map in the game also showed Paris on its normal place in France. And at the end, when it turned out that he had done all his hard work for nothing, the game abruptly ended. Very dissatisfying. Martin could have at least be shown to pick up his old life again. There are also quite a few loose ends in the game. What about the Indians, who saw their destiny destroyed? The machine certainly didn't work anymore after that little ball was removed. What happened to George? Who buried Martin's uncle? And maybe I missed it, but why did Martin lose his telephone somewhere in the middle of the game, and why didn't he buy a new one?
Well, I played this game ages so I really don't remember anything about it....I'll have to replay it and give you answers to your questions...
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
I changed my title

This is pretty much why I hated the game. Martin is such an unemotional person that I didn't care at all whether he succeeds or not.

He finds amazing things and doesn't flinch, he's in life-threatening situations but does not care.

By the way, there's something similar in Black Mirror:
Spoiler:
Samuel finds the body of someone trapped in the mine along with his diary. The diary is one of the saddest things I've seen in a game, and ends with the person's request of his body being properly buried. What does Samuel do? Nothing. He never speaks of the poor guy.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
And maybe I missed it, but why did Martin lose his telephone somewhere in the middle of the game, and why didn't he buy a new one?
I can't remember the game very well.
Could he have ben out of range of the signal?
Or if he fell or something and lost some of his inventory out of his "pockets," maybe he lost his wallet along with his phone.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

For me, Nibiru was a slightly-above-average game with an intriguing premise, very good graphics, some very challenging puzzles, but with a very bland main character, tedious "fetch" quests and a very silly, abrupt ending.

Regarding your points and questions, tsa:

(This is Adventure Game Land, so there is usually some sort of suspension of disbelief involved where character motivation and game logic are concerned. )

The body in the locker was supposed to be that of the real Peter Stasek, who was killed by the impostor (I think?). Martin wasn't even supposed to be wandering in the camp at night, so to bring the discovery of the body to the major's attention would obviously bring immediate suspicion on our "hero".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany
There's something similar in Black Mirror
It's probably no coincidence that The Black Mirror and Nibiru were made by the same developers.

I don't think Martin's uncle François actually lived in Paris per se, but on an island off the coast of France. There was probably no point in showing the relatively short drive to the coastal town, compared to the long trek from Mexico city to Tecolut. Martin's phone "disappeared" by the time he returned to France, presumably he still had it, it was just no longer necessary as an inventory item. *shrugs*

Martin's role as the Messenger of the Gods was prophesized by White Bear's people, so he was supposed to rectify all the wrongs committed by the white people simply by returning the three keys to the pyramid. (Wow... what an honour! ) The alien machine conveniently became inactive so it wouldn't fall into the wrong hands in the end. (What a way for the bad guy to go!)

We can only assume several months passed between the events at the pyramid and when Martin visited the professor's grave. I rolled my eyes at Martin's single-minded determination at fulfilling his uncle's dream, even after learning of his uncle's murder. This type of thing happens a lot in movies too, the hero urgently carries on to complete the quest, there'll be plenty of time to grieve later. (It's still possible that Martin arranged for his uncle's burial.) Showing Martin returning to his old life (doing archiving work) would probably be anticlimactic from a storytelling point of view, considering the adventure he was on and everything he had seen.

And oh, that poor rat! (Would you ever conceive of doing that to Annabel?!)
Old 07-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #6

I remember playing this game a while back. I thought it was an overall solid adventure game. Not as good as Black Mirror and some parts did make me laugh because they were so unbelievable. I gotta say though, I really liked it. I thought it was a good game.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
For me, Nibiru was a slightly-above-average game with an intriguing premise, very good graphics, some very challenging puzzles, but with a very bland main character, tedious "fetch" quests and a very silly, abrupt ending.

Regarding your points and questions, tsa:

(This is Adventure Game Land, so there is usually some sort of suspension of disbelief involved where character motivation and game logic are concerned. )
Well yes, but you can only go so far...

Quote:
The body in the locker was supposed to be that of the real Peter Stasek, who was killed by the impostor (I think?). Martin wasn't even supposed to be wandering in the camp at night, so to bring the discovery of the body to the major's attention would obviously bring immediate suspicion on our "hero".
That is true, but wouldn't you find it more important to report a murder? His singleminded stubbornness to finish the quest annoyed me sometimes.

Quote:
I don't think Martin's uncle François actually lived in Paris per se, but on an island off the coast of France. There was probably no point in showing the relatively short drive to the coastal town, compared to the long trek from Mexico city to Tecolut. Martin's phone "disappeared" by the time he returned to France, presumably he still had it, it was just no longer necessary as an inventory item. *shrugs*
It could be that he didn't live in Paris but for many Europeans the distance to Normandie or Bretagne is quite long. So why not put in that part too? And Martin mentions having lost his phone on several occasions. He probably put it in his 'normal' luggage, together with all the other items he was lugging with him.

Quote:
Martin's role as the Messenger of the Gods was prophesized by White Bear's people, so he was supposed to rectify all the wrongs committed by the white people simply by returning the three keys to the pyramid. (Wow... what an honour! )
I understood that, but since he failed it would have been nice to see what was the impact of his failure on White Bear's people. They must have been devastated to see their destiny basically destroyed.
Quote:
The alien machine conveniently became inactive so it wouldn't fall into the wrong hands in the end. (What a way for the bad guy to go!)
That was also a bit weird. Why didn't Martin die when he touched the ball?

Quote:
We can only assume several months passed between the events at the pyramid and when Martin visited the professor's grave. I rolled my eyes at Martin's single-minded determination at fulfilling his uncle's dream, even after learning of his uncle's murder. This type of thing happens a lot in movies too, the hero urgently carries on to complete the quest, there'll be plenty of time to grieve later. (It's still possible that Martin arranged for his uncle's burial.) Showing Martin returning to his old life (doing archiving work) would probably be anticlimactic from a storytelling point of view, considering the adventure he was on and everything he had seen.
Good points. The ending was anticlimatic anyway. But indeed, having him go back to archiving would make it worse.

Quote:
And oh, that poor rat! (Would you ever conceive of doing that to Annabel?!)
Well, it's a quick and painless death, but no, Annabel is much too sweet to do that to her. Besides, you can't eat her afterwards so other methods are preferred . But don't worry, I am very fond of Annabel and I would never do anything of that kind to her.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Treasure Hunter

As bad a game as it was, it had some hilarious lines. (Hilarious as in just so bad.)

"I'll have to go to bar-bore-ahs place."
"My uncle and I were very much alike; he was a great man."

I think the ten dollars may have been worth it just for hearing those two lines in a wooden voice only rivalled by Keanu Reeves.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey