You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How did you people play Dreamfall?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #41
She Wants Revenge

Dreamfall definitely has the worst controls of the 3d adventures (or any other 3d game for that matter) I've ever played and I've played a few. But like many said, inverting mouse and fiddling with the speed will make it playable. Maybe not smooth but surely good enough not to annoy you all the time.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #42
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
So far, Zoe has been unable to recognize that her friend is right in front of her, been unable to pick up her cellphone, and then, inexplicably, in a fight, she was not able to throw punches/kick. All she could do was block.
I certainly am no fan of the controls, but I never had anywhere near the level of difficulty you're having. Are you sure you're using all the right controls? If so, have you tried reassigning the keys more to your liking? Or, have you tried the game pad option? Do so... if you can get the controls working, this is an experience not to be missed.

Quote:
it does play like an interactive movie, but on a DVD that keeps skipping, and you need to pull out and wipe every four minutes.
This sounds like an equipment problem on your part. I certainly never had this problem. Does your drive perhaps need cleaning?

If worst comes to worst... hey, you're allowed not to like this game, and based on your experience, I don't think any of us would blame you. I have a ton of complaints about Broken Sword 1, which is one of the best-loved games around these parts. The story was about the only thing I liked about it.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #43

Well tried installing the game again (with a great big smile). Reset my computer after installing starforce. Was told the starforce couldn't operate without the necessary patch - gave no idea where to get it (thanks to nonax I went straight to star-force.com).
Very confusing website to say the very least! Again the same feelings as when I first tried to install the game came up thus "why in the name should I have to go through all this trouble just to play a game?!"
Downloaded some driver - to be honest not even sure what it was as the website was ever so helpful :p
Rebooted yet again.
Tried again but some message came up saying the file failed or something, checked the protection.dll and version and even ran as administrator...bang I don't think I was smiling by this time anyhow.
So, I don't know whether that's a good thing or not going by the way you describe the control methods but I give in. Never again am I even going to try to install this game (and no I refuse to go through pirates or fake copies out there) /cry
Old 06-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #44

How Did I play it? hmnm...

Well, I remember I was fully clothed. I may have not been though, as I was in my own home, and as such, Was left to my own devices. I do remember that I was in front of my computer though. I might have had a drink to accompany the experience. But then again maybe not. Since I cannot remember, I might have though. More than one at least.

Shades of Violet: Song of the Clockwork Princess - Real soon!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #45
Schattenger

I played naked LOL....
Loved Dreamfall!

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 07-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #46

I utterly hated it. The controls weren't a problem though.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #47

I love Dreamfall.
But sadly I only played the demo lol.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #48
Thats the ticket

I played Dreamfall with a Playstation 2 Controller. And it was good.

However, I broke my controller when the game ended (or didn't).
Old 07-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #49

I played it on the Xbox and the controls, as everything else production wise, were just perfect. Great game, although a bit short of being a masterpiece.

To avoid Starforce, play the Xbox version or buy the US version of the game for PC. It's only the European versions that have Starforce. The US version has Securom though, and that too may be a bit problematic for anything newer than XP, but it's far from as intrusive as Starforce.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #50
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
To avoid Starforce, play the Xbox version or buy the US version of the game for PC. It's only the European versions that have Starforce. The US version has Securom though, and that too may be a bit problematic for anything newer than XP, but it's far from as intrusive as Starforce.
Or just get it from www.steampowered.com. They have The Longest Journey, too.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #51

I didn't have a problem with the controls, I thought they were pretty straightforward - but then, I occasionally play shooters and RPGs which use similar controls, i.e. keyboard for walking/running and mouse for doing stuff. Definitely hated the controls in Broken Sword 3 a lot more even though they were quite similar.
And no game, absolutely not a single game, comes close to the fiasco that is Grim Fandango when it comes to controls. I gave up on that completely - first trying to use the keyboard, then switching to a gamepad and finding out that it just didn't improve. Not at all.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #52

I'm playing through Dreamfall at the moment - I picked it up along with The Longest Journey on Steam. After switching the X-axis on the mouse, the controls just fell into place for me. I'd encourage anyone having problems to give that a try.

The one thing I love about direct control is that it's so much quicker than pointing & clicking. If the original TLJ didn't have a "skip animation" button, I would've went crazy. I actually timed an animation in that game at one point because it was so ridiculously long and boring. The game made you wait for over 30 seconds, just to watch these little twig creatures walk up a tree Why!? It was almost painful.

I appreciate the conciseness of point & click controls, but 3D environments and direct control make me feel more involved in a game. You actually move your character instead of giving them directions and you can often move the camera, to view environments from different angles, as opposed to one static, pre-rendered shot of an area.

Quote:
So far, Zoe has been unable to recognize that her friend is right in front of her, been unable to pick up her cellphone, and then, inexplicably, in a fight, she was not able to throw punches/kick. All she could do was block.
I encourage you to tweak the controls if you haven't already. As I mentioned, try flipping the X-axis. It made a world of difference to me. As for Zoe not being able to punch and kick, that really makes no sense to me; it's as easy as clicking Left & Right Mouse. Works every time, unless you're being hit.

Quote:
But...the worst, is the FIELD SCAN. Talk about an immersion-kill. Imagine spending your life, and you want to access the fridge, you must stand up straight and slowly scan left to right until FRIDGE AQUIRED.
Or you could just face the fridge yourself Seriously, I never use the field scan thing. It's cumbersome and pointless. For all interactions, I just walk up to things and click on them.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I appreciate the conciseness of point & click controls, but 3D environments and direct control make me feel more involved in a game. You actually move your character instead of giving them directions and you can often move the camera, to view environments from different angles, as opposed to one static, pre-rendered shot of an area.
Exactly. That was one thing I absolutely loved about Dreamfall: being able to wander around just as I choose, being able to explore Arcadia even though I couldn't go everywhere. But this was great fun because in TLJ, I always had the feeling that there must be something wonderful around the next corner, yet I never got to see it because the game wouldn't let me go there.