You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How did you people play Dreamfall?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toops144 View Post
Am I missing out on a gem?

Yes.

Well, of course it depends on your taste but the majority of adventure game players list it as one of the best/favorites. You should at least try to play it.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #22

It really was a wonderful game and the controls never bothered me. I did have to download drivers for my videocard because everything was green at first. I'd love to play it again but since then I've bought a new computer that is 64-bit Vista and I understand the game won't play with that.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #23

the game is definately worth it.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #24
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
found it wasn't compatible with Vista and so never bothered.
Really? I played it on Vista. (Not very far, so maybe there are problems further along the road, but I don't think I had to do anything special.)
Old 06-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Yes.

Well, of course it depends on your taste but the majority of adventure game players list it as one of the best/favorites. You should at least try to play it.
Dreamfall is most definitely one of the best modern adventures, it's a gem visually and the story is up there with genre greats
Old 06-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Well my sister came up to me one day and urged me to play this game - promptly handing me the Limited Edition version.

Tried to install it but found it wasn't compatible with Vista and so never bothered. If even half the amount of effort was put into the game that was put into the game's security, I may take a look at it in a the year 2034

I had the same problem. There was no help to be found on the creators (fun-com), publishers (easy computing) nor the license holder (micro application). To make matters worse the localized website - dreamfall.nl - was taken off-line. Although, dreamfall.com was no help either! Finally I found an update for the protection software, the culprit of the problems. You can find it on star-force.com

The controls are indeed a pain. Especially if you are accustomed to playing other 3D games. What worked for me was to set the camera behavior for both pad and mouse to fixed behind and to invert the camera horizontal axis. Next to that I adjusted the sensitivity of the mouse. And lastely not playing other games with "wasd" controls to get used to Dreamfall's awkwardness.
Nevertheless I stopped playing the previous time (on Windows XP) after getting frustrated in a timed sequence with a monster in some caves..
Old 06-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #27
Stalker of Britain

Yes, the controls were hard to use, but the game was so amazing, it was worth it. And I agree, that stupid troll in the caves was so hard, I used a walkthrough to make sure I didn't accidently run into him.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #28
Adventure Dude =]

I don't remember the controls myself. I doubt I even thought about it because I am so used to playing with a keyboard and mouse I just installed it and away I went.

I can see how it would have been frustrating for some people though. Especially if they are not used to these style of games.

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #29
aye, aye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Jazz View Post
I took the time to learn the controls, and man it took almost fifteen minutes!
That made me laugh

Anyhow, playing it through the second time everything was a lot easier when it came to control. Though I don't remember having a problem, only when it came to kicking people's butts. (which I improved the second time around!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Jazz View Post
My friend had another problem with Dreamfall and that was that she couldn't get into it because Zoë's voice was so boring ^^
:O I LOVED Zoës voice! The voiceactress pronounced everything with feeling and sometimes perhaps with boredom or whatever, but it fit Zoës personality I thought. Her voice and Wonkers were my absolute favorites in the game.
Oh well, each to his own
Website with Fansites [thornleaf.se]
Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #30
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Yes, the controls were hard to use, but the game was so amazing, it was worth it. And I agree, that stupid troll in the caves was so hard, I used a walkthrough to make sure I didn't accidently run into him.
Heh, the troll was one of my favorite parts of the game. Granted, I'm a veteran of games like Beyond Good & Evil and Prince of Persia T2T, which use (simplistic) stealth as a large part of the gameplay, so I'm more used to it than the average adventure gamer. But I had little or no trouble with the troll, and I thought it served to add a much-needed sense of urgency and excitement to a game with very little gameplay otherwise.

Spoiler:
All you had to do was keep glancing down the main corridor, and if you got a glimpse of the "small" troll, you just had to hide behind a pillar until he went by. And if he did see you and called the "big" troll, you had plenty of time to run to a hiding place and hide until he left. There were at least five or six places where you could successfully hide from the "big" troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Her voice and Wonkers were my absolute favorites in the game.
Oh well, each to his own
Wonkers was great because he was so creepy. He would say all this serious, foreboding stuff, in a serious voice, and the whole time, the Watilla had a great big smile on his face.

But I sense that I'm getting off topic. So I'll throw this in there: If you do a lot of PC gaming, whether you generally prefer keyboard/mouse or not, a $20-$30 USB game controller is a good investment. Nobody enjoys using the keyboard for every game. Mine is a $20 Logitech controller, which mimics a PS2 controller, minus the rumble feature (which you can get on the $30 version). Plus, the buttons and axes are 100% programmable, so it can even be used for games that don't natively support game controllers. I programmed my game pad to work with Beyond Good and Evil, as well as Mass Effect, and it works perfectly, despite the fact that the games don't actually support it.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #31
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
Wonkers was great because he was so creepy.
Yeah, I was playing it while talking on the phone to one of my friends, and all she heard was this low-pitched, man's voice saying, "Do you want to play?". She thought it was a child molestor or something.

Actually, I hated how Grim Fandango used keyboard controls, but it never really bothered me in Dreamfall. Wonder why that was. I don't remember having much trouble getting used to it, though.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #32

try checking out the options menu and changing mouse sensetivity, camera following options and inverted/not inverted camera movement. try changing it around until you think it sucks a bit less. then you just have to get used to it.
I hated it at first to. But you get used to it after a while.

It's like getting addicted to cigarettes. Except you don't get addicted. You just have to do it.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Well my sister came up to me one day and urged me to play this game - promptly handing me the Limited Edition version.

Tried to install it but found it wasn't compatible with Vista and so never bothered. If even half the amount of effort was put into the game that was put into the game's security, I may take a look at it in a the year 2034

I played it on Vista after I found it for $5, and no, it's only strength lies in the graphics and setting. There's little gameplay and what it does have is stupid, and the story gets convoluted and doesn't properly resolve. If you're interested and can find it cheap, try it, but a gem it most certainly is not.

As far as controls: use W/S to move forward and back and the mouse to turn (may have to mess with settings). Nothing in the game is too difficult so you should be able to handle it from there.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
I remember I had to reverse the vertical mouse axis, but other than that I played through the game without a problem.
This is my experience too, FWIW.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:01 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
There's little gameplay and what it does have is stupid, and the story gets convoluted and doesn't properly resolve. If you're interested and can find it cheap, try it, but a gem it most certainly is not.
That's a line of thought. Other (mine) is: it is a gem, the story does resolve (its story, not TLJ's general one).

Anyway, you should play this somewhat controversial game, and judge for yourself.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #36
The Ultimate Insult

I didn't really mind the controls, I generally prefer the whole "point and click" premise of an adventure game, but most of the time I can deal with the whole walking forward thing..
However I never finished Dreamfall because I hated the action element to it, sneaking around and all that. I got to the part where you have to
Spoiler:
sneak into this monster base but waiting til the right time and being stealthy
and that just did it for me.. So I gave up. I'm really a traditionalist.. and I also dont like games where if you put one foot wrong you die. XD

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #37
She Wants Revenge

I used the wasd moving and mouse on camera. Inverting the mouse and pulling down the sensitivity made it playable for me. I do prefer point&click on adventures and I disliked some of the action sequences but I don't think I had to use a walkthru at all, the game is rather easy.

For the story.. it is good. It gets solved and it doesn't. There's really several stories and only one of them truly gets solved. Another might end but there are plotlines that are definitely left open. I would still play it and then hope for patience to wait for the Chapters.

I would give 5/5 for TLJ and 4,5/5 for Dreamfall and that half star is lost only because of the clumsy and excessive action sequences. So I am really looking forward to the sequel(s).
Old 06-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #38

I was not bothered by the controls, and I think they were better than some keyboard controlled adventures I've played. But then again, I'm not usually bothered by keyboard controls.

The stealth and combat in this game is what bothered me the most, and the lack of an ending, but I still think it's a beautiful cinematic game well worth playing. Both Dreamfall and TLJ are up there with my favorite games of all time.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:51 AM   #39
never stops believin'

I have played third person adventure games, and a fair amount of RPGs, and I have to say that unequivocally using a keyboard/mouse with Dreamfall is the worst control scheme I have ever seen.

So far, Zoe has been unable to recognize that her friend is right in front of her, been unable to pick up her cellphone, and then, inexplicably, in a fight, she was not able to throw punches/kick. All she could do was block.

But...the worst, is the FIELD SCAN. Talk about an immersion-kill. Imagine spending your life, and you want to access the fridge, you must stand up straight and slowly scan left to right until FRIDGE AQUIRED.

The game is pretty - and one of the small touches I enjoy about both TLJ and Dreamfall is the effort put into making you feel like these people have real lives. I can only play about 10 minutes at a time, though - it just isn't fun because of the controls, it does play like an interactive movie, but on a DVD that keeps skipping, and you need to pull out and wipe every four minutes.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #40

Well is it any worse than Broken Sword 3: Sleeping Dragon (sorry don't know it's name in the US)?
I am now so intrigued I am just going to grab that copy and install it - or at least try to install it past that star-force 'thingymebob' yay ^^