You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Guybrush "Is A Great Character" For Natal and Natal in General

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #1

Default Guybrush "Is A Great Character" For Natal and Natal in General

YAY or NAY

http://www.videogamer.com/news/tellt...for_natal.html

I personally think that this whole natal stuff is totally overblown and overhyped, there is not a single product out with proper implementation and all E3 demos were fake( they were reported as controlled by developers behind the stage).

Moreover telltale should release the episodic games first and see if they have delivered what fans expect from MI series then try for something new, otherwise MI will become ubisoft's petz series.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #2

How does someone write a whole article about something stupid someone said?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Adventure Dude =]

Natal has potential, but it doesn't seem possible for quite a long time. Not sure why they went to all this trouble to show this off when it's completely fake and none of it is even close to be ready. They should have released it to the public when it was actually close to be ready and had it working properly.

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2

Last edited by sTyLnK; 06-22-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #4

I don't really think natal is very useful for adventures...
Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Adventure Dude =]

Yeah I don't think it would work to be honest.

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Banned User

I really want to know how would they do it? The only way you can play such games is either through a Mouse simulation (Wii) or with a mouse itself. Not to mention, I don't want to move around just to play an Adventure. Thats what Wii games are for....or at least Natal games.

Oh and to those uninformed. Natal works for all games, not just games made just for it.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
YAY or NAY

http://www.videogamer.com/news/tellt...for_natal.html

I personally think that this whole natal stuff is totally overblown and overhyped, there is not a single product out with proper implementation and all E3 demos were fake( they were reported as controlled by developers behind the stage).

Moreover telltale should release the episodic games first and see if they have delivered what fans expect from MI series then try for something new, otherwise MI will become ubisoft's petz series.
I don't know anything about the E3 demos, but Natal definitely works, and works well. Watch the clip from Late Night w/ Jimmy Fallon, that sold me right there. I don't own a 360, nor do I plan to, but I'm playing it at a friends house when she gets it for sure....
Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 AM   #8

@ggreen: you can go google it for yourself, the Natal demos at the E3 were faked and if they were faked there then you can bet that they don't have the technology working yet.

No way would they put something on that was faked if they had the real deal sitting in the back room.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
The Ultimate Insult

..Can someone clear this up for me? What the heck is Natal? I read halfway through the article and gave up because it didnt really say anything of importance?
It sounds like some kind of VR Motion driven thing??

Anyhow..
My thoughts are that such genius characters should be left well alone otherwise they're going to screw it up for those of us who remember the original.. unless they have coaching from the original concept artists and directors, they should leave someone elses project alone.. same went for Sam and Max, I am probably the only person I expect who HATED the episodic thing they did. I like my adventures games as one, and long. Not as many and medium.
Plus I hated seeing them in 3D .. bring back 2D D:

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 06-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugignadl View Post
@ggreen: you can go google it for yourself, the Natal demos at the E3 were faked and if they were faked there then you can bet that they don't have the technology working yet.

No way would they put something on that was faked if they had the real deal sitting in the back room.
Ummm, no it wasn't faked. Natal is running on a Computer that is hooked up to a 360. Thats what all under construction tech is done because it hasn't reached the final marketing phases yet. Plus, all this bullshit is made by some PS3 fanboy who never went to E3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
..Can someone clear this up for me? What the heck is Natal? I read halfway through the article and gave up because it didnt really say anything of importance?
It sounds like some kind of VR Motion driven thing??
Its no webcam. What it does is get a Z-Depth of the area. Z-Depth is basically the depth from the point of origin. Basically it understands actual shapes in space and not just shapes on a 2d plane that is programmed to understand if something is suppose to be something.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
The Ultimate Insult

...Sounds far too technical for me.. *Scutters back to her 2D games and DS..* xD

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #12

@kadji-kun: You can say it as much as you like, but that doesn't make it true. Why didn't you just google it like I said?

http://www.n4g.com/events_e32009/News-341245.aspx

The technology will be real one day, but the statement: "E3 demo was faked" is true. Of course they don't explicitly admit it but what would you expect? Watch it for yourself, follow what the news reports say and see for yourself.

Note that there are a lot of news sites running this, not just "PS3 fanboyz". I'm not even sure why you have to mention PS3 fanboyz, nobody else did.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
@kadji-kun: You can say it as much as you like, but that doesn't make it true. Why didn't you just google it like I said?

The technology will be real one day, but the statement: "E3 demo was faked" is true. Of course they don't explicitly admit it but what would you expect? Watch it for yourself, follow what the news reports say and see for yourself.

Note that there are a lot of news sites running this, not just "PS3 fanboyz". I'm not even sure why you have to mention PS3 fanboyz, nobody else did.
Really? Your using that as proof? First of all, that video isn't a live performance. It was filmed and edited to demonstrate a concept. Again, you weren't at E3. You didn't experience the actual demonstration.

I was at E3, I experience all the demo's from Natal, I know what I say and experience. You, and most other people, are basing your opinion on a fake video.

The video, like most game companies, are made so that it demonstrates everything smoothly without the problems of a live demo.

Sadly, you guys are the reason why I prefer GDC over E3. So many people who no nothing about the Industry. I truly hate it when gamers think they know everything.

I can't stress it enough how many times a company has done a video like this just to prove a whole cohesive idea in to a short time without, again, the problems of live presentations to a huge audience.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #14

You don't know anything about me, and I'd appreciate it if you kept the sly ad hominems out of the thread.

Let me try and summarise. You are saying that while the video is "fake", the video is NOT the "E3 demo of Natal" as you have personally witnessed.

Let me ask you the following then, since you seem to be an expert. Was this video, or at least the faked parts, shown at E3? Were parts of it or the entirety of it shown during the "E3 demo of Natal"?

If it was, then that correlates with my own understanding. If not, then I happily concede. I don't see any reason not to trust you.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:58 AM   #15

Quote:

He has grudges against Sony lol

"The actual playable demos were a few generations behind that, more reminiscent of the Sony Eye Toy accessory for the PS2--the main example was a simple game where players bat a ball back at the screen by swatting at the air, with just enough lag to be annoying"

Is he a fanboy? lol.......

More

"The demo video was impressive, but obviously shot in a tightly controlled environment with clearly scripted responses. Talking to several people who got a chance to try out talking to Milo in person behind closed doors, the responses were uniformly disappointed"

key words

DISAPPOINTED, eyetoy , last generation means OVERHYPED stuff as something new which it isn't

Take break more

"describing the supposedly realistic Milo similar to a Tamagotchi virtual pet, with only very basic interactivity. Milo was created by Peter Molyneux, a game designer infamous for over-promising and under-delivering, with ambitious but flawed projects such as Fable and Black & White"

Key words

ambitious BUT FLAWED so right for molyneux

Don't forget its molyneux who failed to deliver his fable1/2 promise,e.g remember how much having sex was overblown, in the end you get just moans and cries against what you played in Fahrenheit.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ag=mncol;title

Then this article was followed by some user comment

Looks like Microsoft got caught faking their demo infront of the whole world.

Shouldn't they get the same treatment by the press as Sony got for the Killzone2 prer-render? Or because it's Microsoft, that's perfectly OK to deceive people...

http://kotaku.com/5275204/testing-mo...with-yes-a-dog

Last not the least

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/581/milofake3.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4227/milofake1.jpg

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3731/milofake2.jpg

Guess some who attended behind the doors CONDITIONED sim are fooled too, i love how people with good obsvervation who arent present there can point out reality(thanks to IT revolution).

Now its upto you to trust poster on these forums who claims his presence at E3 or these comments like sources like cnet and with proof atleast pictures not just words LOL. Untill it hits the market.
Before that feast your eyes EYEPET which is coming this fall.
PS actually did what NAtal is doing with etetoy and will prove it this fall further, this demo alone beats the competition, look for yourself actual stuff played in realtime not restricted controlled environment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoxlLsKQxtc

Whats important to notice is that one requires heavy budget , good company with really nice coders and animators to achieve something like character on screen with interactivity.
I wonder Telltale has that talent, because MI deserves quality atleast to the level of eyepet in every department, however if its some other AG project than quality can be compromised.

Last edited by nomadsoul; 06-25-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:07 AM   #16
Banned User

Why are you guys confusing the Lionhead demo with the Microsoft demo's? I don't get it. There were more Natal demo's than the Milo.

Goes to show that you guys are misinformed. Milo wasn't presented by Microsoft. There were other demo's too which included some racing games and a couple of Natal exclusive games. Not LIMITED to Milo.

From both of your posts. All I see is ignorant people confusing Natal with Eyetoy (without understand the technical differences) and thinking that Milo encompasses the WHOLE discussion, which in turned was Lionhead and not Microsoft.

"The actual playable demos were a few generations behind that, more reminiscent of the Sony Eye Toy accessory for the PS2--the main example was a simple game where players bat a ball back at the screen by swatting at the air, with just enough lag to be annoying"

But how is that different from a webcam? Eyetoy doesn't use depth readings. Natal does. Natal has better responses to your actions than any other camera based controllers.

"He has grudges against Sony lol"

More like, 360 and PS3 fanboys are the most uneducated group since most of them are children. I have nothing against sony. Only the fans that are produced by thinking they are gods for paying for an expensive console.

"PS actually did what NAtal is doing with etetoy and will prove it this fall further, this demo alone beats the competition, look for yourself actual stuff played in realtime not restricted controlled environment"

No not really. Natal is technically superior to the Eyetoy. Why? Do I have to answer? I already stated it previously.

Last edited by kadji-kun; 06-25-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Why are you guys confusing the Lionhead demo with the Microsoft demo's? I don't get it. There were more Natal demo's than the Milo.

Goes to show that you guys are misinformed.

Quote:
@kadji-kun: You can say it as much as you like, but that doesn't make it true. .
Ditto

Rest of the demos were meh maybe groundbreaking and revolutionary for you, not show stealers.

Besides that i have made topic to discuss what Telltale guy said , Natal pedo-sim was only thing synonymous with what Telltale adventure game idea, so keep your other NATAL games and z axis hype tech chat to some other thread, thats offtopic and doesn't belong here.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #18
Freeware Co-ordinator

Since the opening post included
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
then the opening poster has opened up discussion on Natal in general, regardless of the thread title they chose. I shall amend the title accordingly.

However, anyone wishing to continue that discussion needs to avoid the name-calling and general abuse of individuals that responses have moved towards. Disagree with others by all means but stick to addressing their arguments please.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-25-2009, 05:50 AM   #19

The topic is
Guybrush "Is A Great Character" For Natal and Natal in General
YAY or NAY
followed by link and WHAT IS IN THE LINK,

REST was MY own PERSONAL opinion , one should stick to what i asked(and give their opinion on the Telltale guy comments not take my OPINIONS to drag the topic into other direction. And you don't need to TAKE my opinions AS TOPIC ITSELF, there is difference.

FYI, opening post included what you quoted but that quote is WITHIN CONTEXT OF opening and ending paragraph/statements which you conveniently ignored.
Its fairly easy to take mid paragraph to start fuss, that's what we call taking things out context.
It reminds me of Warren spector comments when he criticized GTA series, which in reality he didn't.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #20

@kadji-kun: would you mind replying to my post? don't lump me in with other people, when I am clearly not saying the same thing. Address what I have said and please do not put any words in my mouth.