You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #1

Default Best DS titles?

I just got a DS and am very excited about the potential is has for adventure games. I just played through and loved Apollo Justice, and am getting ready to buy my next game. I'm pretty sure it's going to be Time Hollow, but Broken Sword Director's Cut, Hotel Dusk Room 215, Syberia and Contact are all on my list for the future. Anything to add, or any comments on what I have? Apologies if this question has already been asked a million, billion times.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:41 AM   #2

Phoenixwright series is must play, and ofcourse Tracememory(best creative use of DS anywhere, i wonder why noone else bothered to make such creative use, i was applauding at some creative puzzles which i could have never solved without walkthrough).

Professor Layton, though its adventure/puzzle game, but story is really good.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

I've recently played through Time Hollow and I can tell you it's a really good adventure game, although it's a bit short. Hotel Dusk is one of the best AG's I've played, so that one is a safe bet for you

There is a remake of Benoit Sokal's Paradise called 'Last King of Africa'. Haven't played it myself so I don't know if it's any good.
Then you have 'Secret Files 2' and 'Runaway 2', they work great on the DS!
And of course you have to get 'Another Code/Trace Memory' from the same developers as Hotel Dusk.

I wish you happy playing!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #4

i just got a DS as well (3 days ago actually) so this questin is of interest to me too. I'll check out Hotel Dusk and Broken Sword (already have Secret Files on the pc!)
Old 06-21-2009, 02:48 AM   #5

Stay away from "Last king of Africa"! It's one of the crappiest ports I have ever seen. It's interface is so broken that many hotspots aren't highlighted, you have to guess that you can interact with something (which would be fine if there were no hotspots whatsoever, like in the 90's sierra games, but there are most of the time).
Secret files on the other hand is a blast, and so are trace memory and hotel dusk. As for Phoenix Wright - it depends. Try one of them and see if it's for you.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:52 AM   #6

Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory/Another Code are the best adventures on DS in my opinion, along with Broken Sword.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
Protector of the Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Professor Layton, though its adventure/puzzle game, but story is really good.
I disagree. The story was so meaningless and forgettable that they could've just scrapped it and called the game "135 Puzzles." And the sequel can be "135 More Puzzles." Layton wasn't a bad game, but I was disappointed how much of an adventure game it wasn't... it's simply a puzzle collection.

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been mentioned for good adventure games on the DS... Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory, and all four Ace Attorney games (along with the upcoming Edgeworth game) are all very much worthwhile.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:06 AM   #8

Totally depends on, where are you coming from.
Layton and tracememory can be more enjoyed if you understand Japnanese culture(anime, manga etc.) and sensibilities. You will love it then, just like everyone in west found themselves at home when it comes to Americandream.

Yeah if you hate anime type stuff and have prejudice then avoid it.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #9

Hotel Dusk is AWESOME. One of the best storylines I have encountered on any system. It's that good.

Other adventures which look good ( but I have not played yet ) are Theresia - Dear Emile, Jake Hunter - Detective Chronicles, Lost in Blue & Unsolved Crimes

Syberia & Myst
do not port well on to the DS. Avoid

You can play the SCUMM emulator on the DS for thos classic adventures though!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
Stalker of Britain

I've heard only good things about "Hotel Dusk", which I really wish I could play, but has not yet gotten to PC. lol
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Fing-longer Inventor

Hotel Dusk + Proffessor Layton without a doubt. Hotel Dusk is one of the best games I've ever played on any platform. No other game like it, in fact I brought my DS soley so I could play that.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #12

Like so many have said: Hotel Dusk+All Phoenix Wright series+ Layton are a must.

One of the 1st adventures on DS was Another Code/Trace Memory (there is a sequel coming to the Wii this week actually). I liked it, very solid adventure.

I'm currently playing Secret Files 2. It's a solid port if you like the series.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
Stay away from "Last king of Africa"! It's one of the crappiest ports I have ever seen. It's interface is so broken that many hotspots aren't highlighted, you have to guess that you can interact with something (which would be fine if there were no hotspots whatsoever, like in the 90's sierra games, but there are most of the time).
Sounds like a faithful port of the original then.
The PC version had the same problems.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #14

Time Hollow, Broken Sword Directors Cut, Sherlock Holmes, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, Ace Attorney Justice For All and Apollo Justice Ace Attorney are the only adventure DS games I can find in the outlets and I recommend all of them.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
Protector of the Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Totally depends on, where are you coming from.
Layton and tracememory can be more enjoyed if you understand Japnanese culture(anime, manga etc.) and sensibilities. You will love it then, just like everyone in west found themselves at home when it comes to Americandream.

Yeah if you hate anime type stuff and have prejudice then avoid it.
Not sure if that was a response to me, but if so, I never said Layton was bad. It was fine, but it is nothing more than a puzzle collection. They could've skipped the story altogether and it wouldn't have been much different. If you liked it, fine, but it was very minimal and even included a generic mustache twirling, fist shaking villain which seemed geared towards little kids.

And it doesn't take too long after playing to realize that the characters exist only as a mechanism to lead into "that reminds me of a puzzle," which you'll hear over and over. You just move around the village waiting for things to change and clicking on random crap waiting for a new puzzle to appear.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 AM   #16

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I've heard only good things about "Hotel Dusk", which I really wish I could play, but has not yet gotten to PC. lol
Don't think there will ever be a PC port of Hotel Dusk. Why not get a used DS for a very low price?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #17
High Table's Low Chairman

Broken Sword is better on PC I think, because voice acting is removed on DS. Plus you can get 1 & 2 very cheaply. Much cheaper than just 1 for DS.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrel View Post
Broken Sword is better on PC I think, because voice acting is removed on DS. Plus you can get 1 & 2 very cheaply. Much cheaper than just 1 for DS.
That may be true but the DS version is a director's cut with additional gameplay (Not alot, and it doesn't really affect the story, but it's still nice).
Old 06-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #19

Want to echo the love for Hotel Dusk. One of my favorite adventure games and favorite games for the DS. I wish I could unplay it so I could replay it, I've finished it too recently to start it again and have it be enjoyable.

Also will just say that Myst is not that great. I would say Myst 4 is one of my favorite games of all time and I love the original but it just does not play well on the DS, surprisingly because I anticipated that title for a while.

Still need to get my hands on the Phoenix Wright games as well as Another Code. Also have all the scumm games, sucks that the same flash carts for DS lite don't work on the DSi which I bought though.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:49 AM   #20

There's also the two Touch Detective games (Mystery Detective in Europe) but they are not especially good imo. I think there are reviews of both here at Adv. Gamers.

I have pushed for Flower, Sun & Rain in other threads here, so I'll do it again. Seems most people don't like it though.

Otherwise, I second Hotel Dusk, Another Code (Trace Memory), Layton (the second one is soon released btw), The Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice games and Broken Sword: DC. Really good games.

Games I found to be ok but nothing special was Time Hollow and Theresia. Right now I'm playing Lux Pain and so far that too is mediocre at best.

Games I would suggest anyone to avoid are Myst DS, Undercover: Dual Motives, Lost in Blue (not really adventure btw, but mentioned erlier in the thread) and Contact (more rpg than adventure and really boring).