You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Let there be: The double Grim Fandango.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
High Table's Low Chairman

Default Let there be: The double Grim Fandango.

There is the awesome world of Manny Calavera. The buildings of El Marrow that tower over the festival down below, the tattoo art-on-bone in a rusty submarine, the fermiliar feeling of being rejected by the woman you're after by getting smashed off the edge of a luxury cruise, all designed by the hereby loved Tim Schafer.

So Tim brought out the puzzle document some time ago, Showing all its fans that the game, no matter how much they loved it, was in a way never finished. Puzzle after puzzle placed in between the ones we already knew are carefully written down in there, along with story we never knew and creatures we were never freaked out by. This is like a night at a wonderful party and a conversation with a friend at the end who says "So awesome man! The whole thing where the other rooms were hidden was great!" and you say, "What hidden rooms?"

Tim Schafer, Underground designers, the Queen of England, I'll buy the extended Grim Fandango when you make it! You'll make it right? Right?? I hope a lot of you will respond to this and then someday, somebody sees it and decides to do this.

Last edited by Karrel; 06-19-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Removed link
Old 06-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
J.H
Frak.

As amazing as this game is I doubt highly that they'll ever go back to it, I'd buy it though of course if a directors cut came out. I've actually never got hold of this puzzle document thanks for the link I'm going to read it now.

People talk about a sequel a lot but there's no need for one. I've suggested many times though that I'd love to play a prequel where you play as many when he's alive and well, you could play up to the events of his untimely death. I personally would find that quite interesting.

This is my 2nd favourite game ever but it's a shame it didn't get the recognition it deserved.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #3

That's demoralising, but realistic, but still demoralising. Yeah! Let Fandango Goodness rain down upon us!

Also, the puzzle doc doesn't portray a sequel at all. The released Grim Fandango is a thinned out version of the one which the doc portrays. Puzzles are removed here and there in the released game and while reading the doc, I actually found some scenes from the game making more sense.

Concluding catchphrase: It's not a sequel, it's the original.

EDIT: I know you'll love the doc . There might also be a little 'extended universe' thing like the Star Wars novels going on for Grim Fandango, being the Grim Fandango novel by Charles Frederick. I bailed at the horror of the first page's grammer, but the 'people' say it gets good. I don't think it'll grow though. Unless an authority comes that allows a pool of coherent and good novels to grow.

Last edited by Karrel; 06-19-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
J.H
Frak.

Slightly maybe but I think it would be a very interesting game and would give us some insight into Mannys history. Do you think a prequel would be a bad idea?

I know it's not portraying a sequel I just meant a lot of people say there should be anyway, I wasn't referring to the design doc then.

Yeah this design doc is great I wish this version was released instead it makes the story more structured imo.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #5

Tell me the story and I'll listen. Just the word 'prequel' is as empty as 'sequel'. I'm saying it can go from trash to great as can anything. Give me a single good scene and you'll get me excited.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Freeware Co-ordinator

I've had to remove the link to the puzzle document. This is still a copyrighted document and apparently Tim himself has even had to withdraw it. I haven't come across anything that says the novel is copyrighted at present but it would be useful if anyone is able to clarify the position (either way) on that.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #7

The linked site and others claim the novel is written by MeddlingMonk (Charles Frederick). On the Grim Fandango boards of LucasForums there is someone posting under that nick with people referring to him as the author of this novel. In his signature he links to the same link as I do.

Either this is legit fanfiction, or there is corruption in the land of the dead.

And can you link to anything backing up that the puzzle doc is illegal to spread? I'm not seeing anything on the net.

Last edited by Karrel; 06-19-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrel View Post
And can you link to anything backing up that the puzzle doc is illegal to spread? I'm not seeing anything on the net.
Copyright law makes it illegal to spread. LucasArts owns it, it is not in the public domain. When Tim posted it they told him to take it down. I believe you can find his posts about it at the Double Fine blog.

Adventure Gamers is just complying the same way they would if someone linked to a pirated game.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Freeware Co-ordinator

If you do a search for the original release stories they link to this page on the Double Fine site which you'll note has been removed. (and the blog has a history going way past this so it isn't just from clearing out) The document appearing was newsworthy but comment on removal has largely been restricted to forums (do a search and you'll find a whole bunch of "where has this gone" posts, including on Double Fine's own forums)

As far as the novel is concerned, I'm more than happy to accept that it's fanfic and thus freely distributable until I hear otherwise.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
Game Creator Hobbyist

Sometimes a bit of cutting makes for a better game / movie / book / whatever. Don't mess with the masterpiece.