You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure-X 2010 - London adventure game expo thing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #1

Default Adventure-X 2010 - London adventure game expo thing

Hi folks, not often that I post here but I have a new project on the go that could use your support. I'm involved in the AGS scene and have decided to create an event to bring together adventure game makers from all over to listen, look & learn about indie and mainstream adventure games. It's heavily geared towards those with a passion for point & click adventure - but also the casual gamer, developer or child-hood fan.

I've arranged for some special guest speakers to come and entice you with things they have to say, memories from their hayday and in some cases about some exciting new developments on their front. It's also a big oppurtunity for you to finally ask some questions. There will also be an array of screens and laptops to look at & play some of the latest point & clicks from the indie & mainstream world, and meet the people making them. You'll be in central London & surrounded by bars & clubs if you want to make a day or two of it.

This is a preliminary look at how it's going to go. The big four names are all very interested in attending, I just need now to show to them that you are interested in attending. That's why I'm here to ask if you'll show your interest by visiting my experiment tickets page, and ordering a free reservation for the event. All you'll need to do is leave your name, email & country to give me an idea of who is likely to come to something like this.

As it's a mini-expo, there will be talks all day, things on display, a bar & buffet (depending on numbers) and various other cool stuff depending on the sponsors and final location. Although I haven't done it yet, I'm hoping Mr Marek will be available to come and pimp Adventuregamers.com - hopefully he still remembers from our brief pub chats that I was going to do something silly like this in the future

So yes, please, if you're interested - please go make a reservation at http://adventurex.eventbrite.com

The more people we can gaurantee can come, the more names we can make big on that flyer If anyone lives in London and has good connections to a big hall, please get in touch! I have found a few places who are interested, but they're all quite small!

In the meantime...watch this space

Mark L

Last edited by m0ds; 06-16-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Name
Old 06-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

Oh my, that sounds so awesome! You've gotten Jonathan, of course I'd go!! Too bad I live in the smack dab middle of the US with no money, or else I'd love to go. But alas, I hope some people can give me a summary.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #3

I'd love to but I doubt I'm going to be in England in January again next year. It's too cold for me now. I've gone soft.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Fing-longer Inventor

Registered Some great names you got there, sounds like its going to be awesome. London here I come, in about 7 months.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #5

I'm so gad it's in 2010 ! If it were this year no way I could go. But next year I might just be able to. Can't wait to know the exact date. Hope Ron Gilbert'll be coming to. Though personally Charles Cecil is definetly the guest speaker I look most forward to hearing from. And he's allready confirmed
Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
Chicken with a bite

I am interested but not registering for anything just yet.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #7

Thanks for all the messages and for those who registered. I'll keep you updated in this thread as major new developments happen! Good to know it interests some of you though and that the guest list is quite tempting!

Take care
Old 06-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
Writer-Designer

I'm curious why you didn't try to coincide it with London Games Week (or whatever they're calling it this year).
Old 06-20-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
Hol
3D artist

I love the sound of this! Thing is, london is quite a long trek for me, so though I'd love to go to both days, I'll probably only be able to go to one It's gonna be so hard to choose!!!)

Dont suppose there's gonna be any chance of adventure games companies going there to look for employees? Will be about the right time of year for me to start looking for work...

Last edited by Hol; 06-20-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hol View Post
I love the sound of this! Thing is, london is quite a long trek for me, so though I'd love to go to both days, I'll probably only be able to go to one It's gonna be so hard to choose!!!)

Dont suppose there's gonna be any chance of adventure games companies going there to look for employees? Will be about the right time of year for me to start looking for work...
hey, I'm going. So you should be able to too! lol
Old 06-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #11

I would really really like to go - it depends though on several things, mainly getting a day or two of from work.
I'll be back.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #12
Hol
3D artist

I asked around on my uni games design forum and seem to be drumming up some interest in this - seems there are more adventure gamers at my uni than I previously thought!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:27 AM   #13
The Quiet One

I wonder what Charles Cecil and Ben Croshaw will have to say at this event?

Will any videos/interviews be uploaded?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
Stalker of Britain

Aww, man! So I'm finally planning my trip to England next summer, and I'm all excited to go to this, when I see it's set for January.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 AM   #15

Thanks again. Yes, I'm afraid the event is purposfully set in January around my birthday cos it's the most boring/depressing part of the year for me hehe, plus I organise other events through the summer, so I just wouldn't be able to cope with doing it then.

Y'never know about the games companies, still trying to tempt some people to go along and "exhibit", but it could be worth having a chat to any of them there, even if they're independents. It's not strictly a recruitment drive though, so don't go there expecting to be able to find jobs!!

Gazzoid, the event will be videoed and there will be a live web-cast thing going on, too. Whether that'll be just receiving or receving & broadcasting I'm not sure yet. But all the speeches will be recorded.

As for London Games week, well fuinnily enough lol they got a bit annoyed about me using the term" London Expo" in the thread title, so I changed it to London adventure game expo thing. Not exactly sure how you can claim the use of words like those as your own, but whatever. Anyway, that's in October - again, a bad month for me when it comes to organising events. All the games events seem to take place in high months, like London Expo and ECTS - but nowt much happens in boring, wet & windy months. So AdventureX is it

Thanks once more, and if you do go a-pimping, please get people to register for an AdventureX ticket. Without those registrations, this event will not take place!!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #16

I would most definitely love to go. It's a tad trek from Devon, but it'd be worth it if I got to thank Steve Ince in person for all the awesome games he's given us.

Plus I'd like to get some information to help decide if it's worth pursuing my own idea for an adventure game.

Quote:
I wonder what Charles Cecil and Ben Croshaw will have to say at this event?
I thought Ben Croshaw was living in Australia (or is that something I've just made up)? Are you paying for his plan ticket over? Yes it would be interesting to hear his thoughts about adventure games as he's mentioned them in a good, nostalgic light a few times in his reviews.

EDIT: I've just realised he has voiced his opinions. Minute 22:50 he actually talks about adventure games/ stories in adventures.

Last edited by Terramax; 06-28-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #17
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
I thought Ben Croshaw was living in Australia (or is that something I've just made up)? Are you paying for his plan ticket over? Yes it would be interesting to hear his thoughts about adventure games as he's mentioned them in a good, nostalgic light a few times in his reviews.

I think he's still in the UK or around there.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #18
Game Creator Hobbyist

There's no way I could get time off work around those dates.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 AM   #19
Banned User

FYI, if you have Google Chrome, that flyer image is considered malware. Even if its not, it still triggers the Malware screen. It might be the domain.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 AM   #20

Thanks. I'm having problems with screen7.co.uk with Firefox myself, it says it's an attack site, which is all a bit bastardly really, as it's all just hand coded HTML by moi. No idea really how to fix that or the malware alert you're getting

Trumgottist, shame you wouldn't be able to make it - it'd be good to finally meet you

As for Croshaw, I'm pretty sure he's still living in Australia. If there are an awesome number of reservations then I'll ask him and yes fly him over, but sadly reservations are nowhere near the number needed to even consider getting him or Ron Gilbert over. Saying that though, it's not like they won't be asked every year following 2010 It would be very interesting to hear what Ben has to say.

As for Charles Cecil, well, feel free to post any thoughts on questions, or just save them for the day I'm pretty certain whatever he might plan to say will be changed somewhat after he's really dug into the independent scene through the day. Personally I'd just like to hear some gossip on BASS2

As for making your own adventure game TerraMax, there are currently two engine exhibitors - AGS (Adventure Game Studio) which is perfect for 2D adventure game creation, and DAGE (Dog Adventure Game Engine) which is a 3D adventure game engine for people to use, and there will be tutorials on how to use both these engines on both days

I realise London isn't ideal for 99.9% of the worlds population, but it's our capital, and you can fly/train and bus into it - and I've always found people to be extremely competent at finding their way around it, even if they're Greek

Thanks again for all the comments. The website is nearly ready. If there's any particular information you think needs to be clear to you on the website, or something I haven't mentioned, just let me know. Yaya!

Mods