Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Tex Murphy Games available now on Gog.com (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/24912-tex-murphy-games-available-now-gog-com.html)

tastebud 06-16-2009 03:26 AM

Tex Murphy Games available now on Gog.com

just wanting to let those of you know, who missed these games back in the day, that they are now available on Gog.com

i myself am one who has missed out on all of them (never played a single one) but i will surely alleviate this now.

i don't plan on purchasing all of them, but i think the two best ones which, if im not mistaken, are "under a killing moon" and "pandora directive"? am i correct on that?

The Seed 06-16-2009 03:47 AM

Hmm, that is interesting. Always wanted to try those games and they seem to be near impossible to track down even through EBay and the likes. Never heard of Gog.com though, is it a reliable site to use?

Funktion 06-16-2009 03:59 AM

YES!!! :P
I can't believe the games are now easily available!
I still own Under a Killing Moon and Overseer, but my discs are scratched as hell (lesson I learned through the years: never borrow any disc-based media to friends, you're asking for trouble), and I always wanted to replace them.
Add to this the fact I was never able to track The Pandora Directive, so for me it's an all new game to play.

And The Seed, GOG are extremely reliable. You buy a game, and you are free to download it as many times as you want. The games don't have any DRM or copy protection, so you can install in as many machines as you want, without any trouble.
Plus, they usually have some cool extras for the games (soundtrack, maps, ...).

The Seed 06-16-2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funktion (Post 513018)
And The Seed, GOG are extremely reliable. You buy a game, and you are free to download it as many times as you want. The games don't have any DRM or copy protection, so you can install in as many machines as you want, without any trouble.
Plus, they usually have some cool extras for the games (soundtrack, maps, ...).

Sounds almost too good to be true. :P I think I might just give it a try.

tastebud 06-16-2009 04:37 AM

yes gog.com is extremely reliable. i have made several purchases from there already. drm free, no hassle, very nice.

Funktion 06-16-2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Seed (Post 513020)
Sounds almost too good to be true. :P I think I might just give it a try.

There's 3 free adventure games on the website (Lure of the Temptress, Beneath a Steel Sky and Teenagent).
Create an account and add these free games, to see how it works (regarding downloading, extras access, ...).

The Seed 06-16-2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funktion (Post 513023)
There's 3 free adventure games on the website (Lure of the Temptress, Beneath a Steel Sky and Teenagent).
Create an account and add these free games, to see how it works (regarding downloading, extras access, ...).

Already tried Lure of the Temptress & Beneath a Steal Sky since theyv'e been availible as abandonware for some time now, but I've never heard of Teenagent so I'll give that a try, actually looks not bad. Thaks for the tip off.

Jadefalcon 06-16-2009 05:18 AM

GOG are extremely reliable. It should also be mentioned that the games are tweaked to work easily on Vista systems without having to do any fiddling about yourself. I'm not sure about XP.

I will be getting at least Overseer, Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive, though I've heard Martian Memorandum is worth a look.

wilco 06-16-2009 07:27 AM

Amazing news!!!

My cds of Under a Killin Moon were scratched... unplayable and I never got to play Pandora Directive.
Just got Martian Memorandum and Under a killing Moon. Works great on Win98. Uses Dosbox of course.

Phod 06-16-2009 09:56 AM

Oh wait so MM and UAKM are XP and Vista compatible just because DOSBox is included and you use that to run it?

I was going to download them cause I thought they ran straight from Vista but if it's just the DOSBox version running it, I already have that :)

RockNFknRoll 06-16-2009 10:00 AM

Wow that's great. I played UAKM and PD through DOSBox and they were really fun. I couldn't get Overseer to work though. So if this works with XP, I'll be very happy.

misslilo 06-16-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phod (Post 513053)
Oh wait so MM and UAKM are XP and Vista compatible just because DOSBox is included and you use that to run it?

I was going to download them cause I thought they ran straight from Vista but if it's just the DOSBox version running it, I already have that :)

Yes, but the great thing about this is, that you don't have to manually do all the dosbox editing etc. and copying all CD's to harddrive to play without all the disk swapping.
It was a pain in the butt with UAKM :)

BerserkerTails 06-16-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funktion (Post 513018)
YES!!! :P
I can't believe the games are now easily available!
I still own Under a Killing Moon and Overseer, but my discs are scratched as hell (lesson I learned through the years: never borrow any disc-based media to friends, you're asking for trouble), and I always wanted to replace them.
Add to this the fact I was never able to track The Pandora Directive, so for me it's an all new game to play.

I'm SO jealous. I wish I could play Pandora Directive again for the first time. That game is CRAZY good. Right up there with King's Quest 6, Monkey Island 2 and Gabriel Knight as my favourite adventures of all time.

DustyShinigami 06-16-2009 01:28 PM

This is certainly great news. I've never played any of them either. I'll probably go for Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive and Overseer means they've received the most praise. I would, however, rather buy these games off ebay though, with the original boxes, CDs, manuals etc. But it's great that some more old classics have been added to GOG for a reasonable price, which are now easily available for everyone. :)

misslilo 06-16-2009 01:36 PM

@gazzoid
If you buy the DVD version of Overseer be prepared for a lot of trouble.
It's really hard to get playing without crashes (if playing at all without serious tweaking and installing of other programs) and the midi music - forget about it. :D

Jadefalcon 06-16-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazzoid (Post 513079)
This is certainly great news. I've never played any of them either. I'll probably go for Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive and Overseer means they've received the most praise. I would, however, rather buy these games off ebay though, with the original boxes, CDs, manuals etc. But it's great that some more old classics have been added to GOG for a reasonable price, which are now easily available for everyone. :)

If that's how you feel fair enough, but you could treat this as a 'just for now' moment.

For instance, if I was looking for a particular hard to find sci-fi book and I came across a cheap copy in poorish condition, I would take it until a better one came across, especially considering how infrequent some appeared.

To those that have played it, how is Martian Memorandum? I'm aware that Overseer is Mean Streets remade with fancier graphics and the action sequences removed.

DustyShinigami 06-16-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslilo (Post 513083)
@gazzoid
If you buy the DVD version of Overseer be prepared for a lot of trouble.
It's really hard to get playing without crashes (if playing at all without serious tweaking and installing of other programs) and the midi music - forget about it. :D

I think i'll avoid the DVD version then. :D Thanks for the tip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadefalcon (Post 513089)
If that's how you feel fair enough, but you could treat this as a 'just for now' moment.

For instance, if I was looking for a particular hard to find sci-fi book and I came across a cheap copy in poorish condition, I would take it until a better one came across, especially considering how infrequent some appeared.

Yeah, it sounds like a good idea. I'll probably do that. I mainly want the rare boxed versions with their original content just to add to my little collection of boxed games/rare items. But these downloadable versions are appealing if they work with XP or Vista without any set-up required.

oerhört 06-16-2009 02:44 PM

I thought this was absolutely fantastic. Great choices, and I love that Overseer and Pandora Directive will be added too.

Here's to hoping for the Sierras, the LucasArtses and the Westwoods to come to GOG as well, GOG are the best of the crop as digital distribution of games is concerned.

Re: Digital versus box, I prefer digital these days. Some games are worth having in a box, but only those that mean something special to me personally, I feel. Otherwise they take up too much space as soon as you get up into the hundreds (I have around 800 physical games at home which is way too much, really).

Phod 06-16-2009 03:45 PM

Regarding Martian Memorandum, I played it a couple years back through DosBox and I definitely think it's worth playing for the completist. There are several characters from the FMV Tex games that appear. The game has a solid story as well but one really awful maze (just get a walkthrough).

Worth playing for sure, especially if you enjoy the story/atmosphere of the latter games.

Ugignadl 06-17-2009 12:39 AM

Yeah, just +1 for GoG being awesome. The price is worth it alone for all the downloadable extras, and the guaranteed XP+Vista compatibility w.r.t DosBox.

Most of the time I notice a significant speed increase using their version of the game as opposed to my own tweaked DosBox environment. I don't think anyone knows really what they are doing, they might be using a proprietary wrapper of the core DosBox code, and it might be game-specific.

Pretty awesome though.