You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tex Murphy Games available now on Gog.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #21

I've never played Tex Murphy...1 & 2 look really ugly

I might give Under a Killing Moon a go. I've heard a lot of people say that's the best one and it doesn't look too bad, either.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I've never played Tex Murphy...1 & 2 look really ugly

I might give Under a Killing Moon a go. I've heard a lot of people say that's the best one and it doesn't look too bad, either.
i think pandora directive is easily the best. but it's best to play UAKM and then PD in order, it makes PD more impressive. they really are fantastic 90s adventure games.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #23

I'm almost tempted to buy them on GOG just to support their effort. I still have my original discs from when I received UAKM for my birthday Dec 1994. I also haven't played it since I finished it Jan 1995 (although I remember it pretty clearly).
Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
Banned User

Is there any statistical changes to these games through GOG? I remember UAKM not running well with the fullscreen 3d window. How is the speed and the sound?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #25
Schattenjäger

Very good move and i hope this helps to spread the word on the way to a new Tex Murphy game- gosh, a new Tex Murphy game would be my personal Tales of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion 3 combined.
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 06-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #26
never stops believin'

GOG's selection so far isn't huge - but I for one, love their idea, and will support them however I can. I am going to buy all the Tex Murphy games...and heck, even on my limited budget, I'll shell out for Beneath a Steel Sky as well.

Seriously, though, I'll definitely do my business through them if they keep grabbing old games and updating them quickly and easily-like for XP and Vista.

One thing I don't get - why don't they charge more? I would have given them $10/game at least, and probably $30 for UAKM and Pandora. These games are hard to get anywhere else, and not having to deal with DosBoxing yourself is awesome.

Thanks GOG!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #27

The Pandora Directive is one of the finest adventures I've ever played. The 3D engine reminds me of an early incarnation of the GK3 engine. There's something so awesome about being able to intricately explore every detail of a location. I never got a chance to play Overseer. This is pretty exciting news.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #28
Strategy Guide Author

Since Overseer was Windows native I'm curious what they're going to do.. if they are just going to actually update the executable for WinXP/Vista or are they going to make you futz with stuff like Compatibility Mode, which is no different than if you already had the discs.

I'd definitely pay if they update the executable (even though I already have Overseer)
Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 AM   #29
Game fanatic

Beneath a Steel Sky is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports
One thing I don't get - why don't they charge more? I would have given them $10/game at least, and probably $30 for UAKM and Pandora. These games are hard to get anywhere else, and not having to deal with DosBoxing yourself is awesome.
The want a unified price structure. Originally, all games were supposed to be $5.99 but then that didn't go down well with all collaborators, so a two-tier system was set into place. Everything on the service is either free, $5.99 or $9.99.

The whole point of the service is to provide old games cheap. That's their USP, they don't want to be seen as a Steam or GamersGate competitor.

In short, they sell UAKM cheap because it helps their branding and their customer relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Since Overseer was Windows native I'm curious what they're going to do.. if they are just going to actually update the executable for WinXP/Vista or are they going to make you futz with stuff like Compatibility Mode, which is no different than if you already had the discs.
And that's the other part of their USP: No fuss. They will definitely do whatever it takes to make Overseer play straight away on both XP and Vista, no compatibility mode needed.

Last edited by oerhört; 06-18-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:06 AM   #30

Yes, I noticed they use at least a somewhat intelligent design, using SCUMMVM, DOSBox when appropriate, instead of just wrapping everything in DOSBox.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 AM   #31

I've already played the first four, using DosBox. The favorite is UAKM. It has a surreal and "cheesy in a good way" feel that serves the game extremely well. The Pandora Directive is more polished, with better acting and higher production values as a whole, but some of the feel is gone imo. Still very good though. Only got halfway through the DVD-version of Overseer before I got tired of all the crashes.

The first two feel dated but are still worth playing, especially Martian Memorandum.

Will buy all five for the convinient packages and to support GOG.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #32

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

Had played it before, but just picked up UKAM to check out GOG's service and am mostly impressed. Easy, cheap, hassle-free, and nice extras. Only one minor niggle: why did they pre-configure the game for Sound Blaster music when Roland or General MIDI sound much nicer?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #33

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Another thing to consider is that bringing in Pandora Directive and UAKM shows that GOG are willing to tackle games which are in terms of data, fair sized, with their large amounts of puzzles and FMV.

This means that games like Black Dahlia, Gabriel Knight, X-Files and Spycraft are not beyond the realms of possibility of being released on GOG.

If you aren't already doing so, I'd encourage people to use the wishlist on GOG to put in their 'wishes' for games they'd like to see. I've put in a ton of adventure games of the older type that I'd like to see like the Innocent until Caught series and so on.

The only thing with GOG's wishlist is that there have been certain idiots have taken the mickey out of it. Games like Sherlock Holmes:Nemesis for example have been listed by someone, games that are still fairly new and easily available, or games that don't even exist like Freelancer 2.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #34

Default Tex Murph The Pandora Directive now on Gog

just letting those of you who are interested (like myself) know, that gog.com has continued its release of the Tex Murphy games with pandora directive now available on gog.com. downloading now.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:41 AM   #35
Senior *female* member

Ahhh... my favorite Pandora Directive released as well. That's great, GOG! I can already feel the urge to replay it and see new endings.

For those of you who, like me, have not yet followed all three paths (Mission Street = Mr. Nice Guy, Lombard Street = in between, Boulevard of Broken Dreams = insensitive, callous Tex): type J K Y to see what path you're currently on. Not during cut scenes, not in movement mode.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #36
Thats the ticket

I am currently downloading Feeble Files from Gog.com I hope it works well on XP but hey its only $5.99. It might be trivial but the reason I'm getting it is because someone told me Kryten (Robert Llewellyn) is the voice actor for Feeble. Damn my soft spot for all things Red Dwarf!

If I didn't already have all the Tex Murphys on Cd I would be buying those too.

Theres only Overseer that I don't have but its not available yet. Lets hope its under $10.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #37
Caffein Queen

@viva

I also bought Feeble files from GOG although I already have 2 boxed versions - and it worked perfect for me.

As for Tex Murphy - how about go for all the Tex games even though you have them just to support those lovely boys behind them, since they have plans on another Tex Murphy game?
I know I don't mind paying for a hassle free version of each of them even though I already have them.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #38
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee View Post
I am currently downloading Feeble Files from Gog.com I hope it works well on XP but hey its only $5.99. It might be trivial but the reason I'm getting it is because someone told me Kryten (Robert Llewellyn) is the voice actor for Feeble. Damn my soft spot for all things Red Dwarf!
The Feeble Files has its shortcomings but it's a great game. Very long and good value for your money. Even more so because most puzzles are pretty hard. Robert Llewellyn does a good job. My favorite supporting voice actress is the girl who does Feeble's mother, the secretary, the girl in love on the phone, and other parts. I'm sorry I forgot her name but she's absolutely first class.

@misslilo: do the Tex Murphy guys actually benefit from the GOG sales? Are they the current copyrightholder?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #39
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee View Post
Damn my soft spot for all things Red Dwarf!
haha I too have an extremely soft spot for Red Dwarf, but living in the US, it's hard to get my hands on anything Red Dwarf.

I tried to make an account on GOG, but alas, my slow internet wouldn't let me, and I missed out on one of the weekend sales.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #40
Caffein Queen

Quote:
@misslilo: do the Tex Murphy guys actually benefit from the GOG sales? Are they the current copyrightholder?
Well, that's the word all over. Seems they got the copyrights back.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter