You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Guybrush Threepwood sprite in TSOMI:SE

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #1

Default Guybrush Threepwood sprite in TSOMI:SE

1st.

2nd.

Which Guybrush sprite do you like better?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #2

The top one. Guybrush is tall and geeky.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

But he was younger then.

I don't care either way though.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #4

The shorter one I guess, but I'm not wild about either. In both MI1 and MI2 (and MI4) Guybrush was rather short. That's the true Guybrush. CMI was an anomaly.

I wish he didn't look so sickly in the special edition. Everything else looks fantastic though (well, except for the close up shots which actually look worse than the original).
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #5

I prefer number 1.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #6

Redo everything to look like CMI and NOT give Guybrush that strange new and ridiculous haircut?

No? Oh, then the second one.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
J.H
Frak.

The 1st one
Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
Schättenjager

None. Threepwood must be shorter and lighter than Elanie.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realepicurean View Post
The top one. Guybrush is tall and geeky.
i never saw him as such, that was the biggest problem i had with monkey island 3. in the first one he was "a strapping young lad" (at least thats what i got out of the VGA graphics), and in the second one he seemed the cool adventurous type, not geeky at all, more like Indiana Jones (who often is clumsy and funny as well). then they did make him into a geek in monkey island 3 and to me that took a lot of the humour out of it, cause you expect him to get into all sorts of trouble. i would have preferred it if he continued to be a sort of indy character, then it would have been funnier. at least in the new Tales of Monkey Island he has the little chin beard back. thats a start heheh

on a side note: if those are the graphics of the remake for the wii or whatever, they look awesome
Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
None. Threepwood must be shorter and lighter than Elanie.
Was that ever the case in the original?

Guybrush seems to be at the same height and weight with Elaine and the 2nd pic above seems to capture it perfectly besides his hair

Last edited by Guyper; 06-15-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
i never saw him as such, that was the biggest problem i had with monkey island 3. in the first one he was "a strapping young lad" (at least thats what i got out of the VGA graphics), and in the second one he seemed the cool adventurous type, not geeky at all, more like Indiana Jones (who often is clumsy and funny as well). then they did make him into a geek in monkey island 3 and to me that took a lot of the humour out of it, cause you expect him to get into all sorts of trouble. i would have preferred it if he continued to be a sort of indy character, then it would have been funnier. at least in the new Tales of Monkey Island he has the little chin beard back. thats a start heheh

on a side note: if those are the graphics of the remake for the wii or whatever, they look awesome
I didn't mind when Guybrush was turned into a tall geeky guy in CMI since it was a whole new game. But TSMI:SE is a different story, this is a remake of an old school game that we're talking here.

In the trailer of the Special Edition, they mentioned that they wanted the remake to be faithful to the original which is a complete bullcrap 'cause that's not really the case for the poor Guybrush. They tried way too hard to stick to the CMI Guybrush model and completely overlooked how Ron Gilbert visualized a young naive Guybrush back in the old days.

Just look at the neck of guybrush in the top pic, it makes him look like a freakin' alien
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
Adventure Dude =]

haha his neck is so long in the first picture. That's wicked.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:21 AM   #13
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
Redo everything to look like CMI and NOT give Guybrush that strange new and ridiculous haircut?

No? Oh, then the second one.
Ahhh so he looks a little Tintin... noones ever gonna be 100% happy with any new monkey island product because we're all still living off the nostalgia from childhood

i cant wait tho!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:24 AM   #14
High Table's Low Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT View Post
Ahhh so he looks a little Tintin... noones ever gonna be 100% happy with any new monkey island product because we're all still living off the nostalgia from childhood

i can't wait tho!
[dynamic appearance]

Completely nostalgia-free 'guy-who-never-played-Monkey-Island' ready to give neutralish opinion!

The old graphics are more atmospheric. The new poles of the pier feel fake, while I can imagine myself actually touching the previous ones. The cartoony appearances (including haircuts) also make the characters look silly both during game-play and during cut-scenes.

[/dynamic appearance]
Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #15

Wow, this looks smashing!

I think naturally Guybrush should be a little taller then Elaine, but pic 1 is a bit exaggerated. Maybe his eyes should be just on Elain's forehead, not over her head. And Guybrush should also look Elain in the eyes, in pic one he's checking out what's happening behind her!