Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   What Old Games Would You Want Updating? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/24866-what-old-games-would-you-want-updating.html)

carlotta von uberwald 06-09-2009 11:01 AM

What Old Games Would You Want Updating?

Now they are about to release MI again, what old games would you want updating? I personally would love to see Feeble Files updated or a completely new adventure & also Discworld, that would be great in an episode format, around Ankh Morpork. But I don't think that will ever happen?! lol

ggreen737 06-09-2009 11:12 AM

I'm a complete whore for The Longest Journey, so I'll say that right off the bat.

I'd love to see Fate of Atlantis remade into a much more slick and updated game, maybe even 3rd person perspective. That and Day of the Tentacle of course. Purple tentacle in all his glory!

Keregioz 06-09-2009 11:18 AM

Monkey Island 2

I'd love to hear a speaking version of Largo.

Dale Baldwin 06-09-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keregioz (Post 512138)
Monkey Island 2

I'd love to hear a speaking version of Largo.

Definitely this for me. MI2 was the first ever adventure game I played, so to see that brought up to date would be awesome.

dekaneas297 06-09-2009 12:36 PM

Personally, none. Leave the games as they were, with the combination of outdated graphics and unique magic. If you interfere with this combination, even by improving one part, the game looses it's authenticity.

Fantasysci5 06-09-2009 12:40 PM

Well, my wish has already came true, with the Director's Cut of Dark Fall 1 & 2. But it would be really nice to see the Discworld games or Tex Murphy games, since I can't get ahold of them with their high prices.

Lupin The Third 06-09-2009 01:52 PM

What other classics should get the Monkey Island Special Edition treatment.

Personally I'm extremely psyched for the release of this. At the time the early games were out I wasn't really into PC games, mostly cause I didn't have a PC because my parents didn't think it necessary at the time, and I only got to play little bits of these at friends' houses (along with the early Kings Quests and others). Given the love and attention that Lucasarts is putting into these remakes it got me dreaming of other classics I'd love to see get a similar treatment such as....

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.co...7_3_medium.gif
Phantasmagoria

http://www.retrobits.com.br/site/wp-...l-knight-3.jpg
Gabriel Knight

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.co...3_9_medium.gif
King's Quest

But the two that I really, really want (and will never happen) are Infogrames' Lovecraft adventures....

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews...omet/Snap1.jpg
Shadow of the Comet

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews...Ice/Sshot3.jpg
Prisoner of Ice

So what classics would you love to see get the MI Special Edition treatment?

Lupin The Third 06-09-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekaneas297 (Post 512156)
Personally, none. Leave the games as they were, with the combination of outdated graphics and unique magic. If you interfere with this combination, even by improving one part, the game looses it's authenticity.

Which is exactly why the Monkey Island Special Edition is the perfect way to do this. You can play either versions, and you can switch between them on the fly with the press of a single button/key. This feature was also present in the XBLA/PSN version of R-Type and it's friggin awesome. I can't wait to mess around with this on MI.

colpet 06-09-2009 03:39 PM

RealRiven! :9~

DustyShinigami 06-09-2009 03:40 PM

For me it would be Gabriel Knight 1-3, Monkey Island 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle*, Simon the Sorcerer 1-3 (never going to happen sadly means Adventure Soft are no more ;(), Sam & Max: Hit the Road* and Full Throttle.

* The cartoon graphics still look fine even today (especially if you enable anti-aliasing in ScummVM), but just imagine what the graphics and animations would look like if it got the SOMI Special Edition treatment. :9~

Intrepid Homoludens 06-09-2009 03:56 PM

Gabriel Knight 3. For the consoles (X360, PS3), using the Source engine. Less moronic puzzles (replace the cat hair + syrup one, etc.).

The Messenger (Louvre). For the consoles (X360, PS3), using the Splinter Cell: Conviction engine (probably based on the Unreal engine). Complete re-haul of the puzzles but still focusing on non-action gameplay.

oerhört 06-09-2009 04:51 PM

What are the differences between the Source engine and the Conviction one that makes you want to differ between them here?

To me, they look like most modern game engines, in that they can do more or less the same stuff.

theduramater 06-09-2009 09:03 PM

Dear God Gabriel Knight!!!

Bad Asp 06-10-2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazzoid (Post 512183)
For me it would be Gabriel Knight 1-3, Monkey Island 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle*, Simon the Sorcerer 1-3 (never going to happen sadly means Adventure Soft are no more ;(), Sam & Max: Hit the Road* and Full Throttle.

* The cartoon graphics still look fine even today (especially if you enable anti-aliasing in ScummVM), but just imagine what the graphics and animations would look like if it got the SOMI Special Edition treatment. :9~

Ooh, Hit the Road for ME too!

Oh, and as for the voices of Sam and Max in that game --- KEEP THEM THE WAY THEY ARE! I think today's gamers need to hear them to really appreciate them, since they were probably raised on the voices from the episodic series.

crabapple 06-10-2009 07:32 AM

The Dig -- I'd like to see it with graphics to match the grandeur of the soundtrack.

For comedy-type games, I'm OK with the old, pixellated graphics, and may even prefer them. But for more serious games, I'd like graphics that are a bit more realistic. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (adventure version) and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis would be examples from LucasArts. From Sierra, Gabriel Knight 1 and 3, (though arguably GK3 needs an update even more than GK1 -- GK1 may be pixellated, but GK3 has that ugly angular early 3D look). If they could increase the resolution of GK2 without replacing the filmed actors, that would be great. Shadow of the Comet is another game that might benefit from an update (and I see Lupin also mentioned it). I'm unsure about the King's Quest games, but KQ4 would certainly benefit from having better skin tones -- Rosella is a bit too rosy.

Games that rely heavily on the environment rather than character interaction would probably benefit most from more realistic graphics. Imagine "RealRiven" with lighting and weather effects. And Morpheus -- every time I replay it I have to adapt myself to the low resolution of the graphics, and I'm sure some people never adapt.

The Cryo games would probably benefit most from a different type of update -- better puzzles. For example, despite that I liked Atlantis 2 a lot, and that higher resolutions and weather/lighting effect would make it more attractive, it's biggest problem was that some of its puzzles just made no sense at all. Same with Faust.

J.H 06-10-2009 09:03 AM

MI2 and I'd love to see MI4 as 2D point and click (although I know it's not old)

crabapple 06-10-2009 09:50 AM

I thought of another one -- Riddle of the Sphinx.
It looked old and dated even when it first came out -- and there was an obvious difference in quality (and often color) between the still images and the QuickTime movies. And you couldn't understand what the guy said at the end because the audio was garbled.

Its successor (The Omega Stone) looked a lot better, but wasn't as much fun to play.

cwapitm 06-10-2009 10:43 AM

Yeah, I hope they remake MI2 as well. What I really want to see is a point and click version for Grim Fandango. I'm not one to grumble over keyboard controls, but point and click would make me happy.:)

Gonzosports 06-10-2009 11:47 AM

Special Editions for any game that takes a DosBox or ScummVM to play! Make some classics XP compatible!

Some games I actually think shouldn't be updated - because the old graphics don't deter/limit the story and, in fact, add some charm to it. Space Quest is ok - though, geez, it might be really cool to make the driving sequence really cool...I digress!

And games where to me, there's nothing that can be done. I do not believe that Riven could be anymore beautiful than it is - I thought realMyst was a novelty, but I always choose to play the original because, for me, the atmosphere just works better.

Someone mentioned TLJ - confused by this, it's not as graphically advanced as Bioshock, but I still think it meets a standard of feeling pretty contemporary. Update it to Dreamfall standards, maybe?

An aside: I wanted to re-play TLJ before starting Dreamfall, and forgot how...long the game is! The first time, when everything is new, you don' notice but, listening to all the dialogue, running all over, for the second time - it's not a game I recommend a replay of, to be honest.

Zanthia 06-10-2009 01:14 PM

I'm surprised no one said Loom.