You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What Old Games Would You Want Updating?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #21
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia View Post
I'm surprised no one said Loom.
I thought it, but then I thought we shouldn't update a game that really needs a proper sequel (I'm looking at you indie game designer guy. or girl.), more than an update.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
The Quiet One

How about Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken? Two of LucasArts earlier titles that are very difficult to come by (especially the enhanced editions) even on ebay. The graphics could have a major overhaul, music re-done, voice acting could be added and the occasional (i think) deaths/dead-ends could be removed/improved.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #23

The Longest Journey
Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #24

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Monkey Island 2

I'd love to hear a speaking version of Largo.
Yeah and Bearded Guybrush in glorious HD sprites ala Curse of Monkey Island..
Old 06-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #25

both phantasmagorias and ripper
Old 06-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #26
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia View Post
I'm surprised no one said Loom.
I said it, but in another thread.

Gabriel Knight has been mentioned, and if they still have the original footage, a "restorated" GK2 with movie-quality graphics would be great. (And GK3 needs an update.)

Discworld has also been mentioned, but if DW1 were updated, I'm afraid I'd feel a bit like the people whining about Monkey Island now. I prefer the look of DW1 over that of DW2.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #27

An update of Gabriel Knight because I hear to much good about the series. It's not for sale anywhere, though, and I'm not sure how these "older" games would work on a newer PC.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #28

I'm playing Snatcher at the moment and I can't stop thinking about how it'd make a great DS game. No graphical upgrades needed - the game would look beautiful on the DS screens. The shooting segments and the user interface could be made a lot smoother with touch-based controls.

I know this one will never happen, but I'd like to see a remake of The Longest Journey in real time 3D. TLJ's pre-rendered backgrounds almost hold up today, but not quite and the character models are extremely blocky and basic; N64 styles, with bad lip-sync and facial animation. The ugliest part of the game, though is the interface design. Those big, horrible icons that appear when you interact with something...and the ugly pattern that's constantly at the bottom of the screen, ready to be filled with even more ugly menus and text for conversations. You're inventory's a pain too, how you have to drag an item out of the inventory space to use it...and how you can't access your diary with the press of a button (unless I'm missing something?) And while I'm complaining, the maps to select which location to navigate to are also pretty unappealing.

Little tweaks to this game would go a long way. Perhaps the longest way... It's still a visually interesting game, but it's one of those games that I wish I could explore properly in 3D - not just go from scene to scene - because the worlds are so wonderful.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #29

Heart of China & Rise of the dragon should be updated.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #30

None of them.

The old games are still there for us to play, one way or another, be it by emulation, SCUMM VM, DOSBox, etc.

I'd prefer effort went into the creation of new games and experiences, instead of endlessly recycling the past with a new paint-job.

Let history be history, and forge ahead.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives View Post
An update of Gabriel Knight because I hear to much good about the series. It's not for sale anywhere, though, and I'm not sure how these "older" games would work on a newer PC.
I've got a laptop with Vista on it, and I've gotten all of the GK series to work on it (with help from http://gkpatches.vogons.zetafleet.com/)
Old 06-13-2009, 03:00 AM   #32
Cake Maniac

I'd love to see a Special Edition of, say, Day Of The Tentacle with all the backgrounds and animations hand-painted over and scanned, so it looked exactly like a Chuck Jones cartoon. Likewise, with MI2 or Sam And Max Hit The Road, it'd be great to see them redone by hand, so they look like a moving version of Steve Purcell's cover art or original Sam And Max comics. Obviously these would be huge, prohibitively expensive undertakings, but it's really the only reason I'd want to bother with a special edition over the regular editions (although new voice and music on its own for MI2 would be a treat).

Someone did a vector/HD mockup of a screenshot of Ben There, Dan That!, and while it was quite cool, if we were to remake BTDT I'd want to do it with full 'cut-out' animation, South Park style, or perhaps stop-motion with tableaus and little 2d cutouts...
Old 06-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #33

I'd like to see updates of Space Quest and Flight of the Amazon Queen
Old 06-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #34

I'm pretty okay with leaving the older games as they are. Graphics get "better" so quickly anyway, that it's an endless prospect to rework games every few years when that effort, I think, should be focused more on creating new games.

But as long as LucasArts is reworking Monkey Island, why not do Monkey Island 2.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #35

To me, most of the beloved older 2D game's graphics stand up just great today because of the excellent spriting and background work involved, even at high resolutions. The older 3D would need the boost. The Longest Journey looking like Dreamfall+ would be cool. I suppose Grim Fandango could also be neat with an update (in game graphics like the cutscenes!), don't know how much you'd count it as an adventure game, but the amazing Anachronox deserves to look even more awesome than it already does. Of course it, and really all of these need sequels more than updates. Anachronox was a long game but it was said to be 60% completed before Eidos scrapped it and released it as-was. I think it says a lot about the game that it was still so good but makes me wonder what could have been. Sadly it gets no love and seems to just be forgotten.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #36
Pixiehunter

I tend to say 'leave those good old games alone and develop some new awesome games instead' but then I remembered the horrible controls in Escape from Monkey Island and thought 'they need a thorough make-over'.

Hence, my vote goes to Escape from Monkey Island.
And while they are at it, maybe some change in the plot as well
Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #37

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Old 06-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #38
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

OK, OK, I'll say it.
Kyrandia.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #39

For the most part I would just want these games re-released. I hate messing around in DosBox

Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken
Loom
Return To Zork
Gabriel Knight 2
Return of the Phantom
X-Files
Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #40
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives View Post
I've never played the Gabriel Knight series, and considering what a stickler I am for playing game series in order, I'd prefer to start with the first one. Problem is, until I run out of newer games with more detailed visuals, I don't plan on trying many (if any) older games with outdated graphics. I would probably jump on a GK1 remake immediately.