You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Full Throttle. thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Pixelthis Big Cheese

Default Full Throttle. thoughts?

Hi all,

I just finished Full Throttle. Despite outdated graphics, it hasn't lost much of its impact (I was going to say 'charm' but that isn't exactly the right word for this game). Some of the timing in the cut scenes is a little off, and there are way too many of them (and they are too long). It seemed more like a sequence of cut scenes glued together by a puzzle or two rather than a story.

My biggest critique (apart from the cut scenes) would be the final two puzzles. They are almost cop-outs, where the designer ran out of ideas:
Spoiler:
They both rely on navigating a vehicle menu system and choosing the right options.

I have to confess that even though I [thought I] knew what to do in some of the puzzles, they got so frustrating that I had to cheat and look at a walk-through.
Spoiler:
In the junkyard, even though you know to use the crane and lift the car with the dog in it, I just couldn't figure out how to get into the cockpit. Maybe it was just me.

and
Spoiler:
The sequence of beating the right gang member off their motorcycle with the right weapons before you could collect the goggles was frustrating.

Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed it though. Overall not a bad game.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.vullings View Post
I have to confess that even though I [thought I] knew what to do in some of the puzzles, they got so frustrating that I had to cheat and look at a walk-through.
Spoiler:
In the junkyard, even though you know to use the crane and lift the car with the dog in it, I just couldn't figure out how to get into the cockpit. Maybe it was just me.

Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed it though. Overall not a bad game.
You're not wrong on that part, that was the only instance I had to consult a walkthrough. What Full Throttle does right, on so many levels, is capture a story that is uninhabited and completely awesome. Period. If you have any amount of American badass in your bloodstream, then this game will rock your world/
Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #3

Someone made a movie out of FT tying together the cutscenes and some of the movement between them.

I love FT and still have The Gone Jackels CD in my car
Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #4

Full Throttle is most likely THE MOST badass adventure game ever made. thats really all i can say about that. sure there were some questionable puzzles, but then again, any game has some questionable moments. it was dark, smart, and had a hell of a voice actor for Biker Ben.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
Pixelthis Big Cheese

Yep, the good stuff (and that is most of the game) is really good!

The atmosphere and setting, the characters, the voice acting (as mentioned), the quips, the ability to kick or hit almost anything, the music... great stuff.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #6

Definitely one of the best. It was extremely funny. I liked the bike battles, the puzzles were great, I really do like cut-scenes, and I loved the voices and characters. Mark Hammill as always is a terrific voice actor, but Roy Conrad really made the game. It's sad to hear about his death.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Welsh Dude

I adored it, especially the art style but it's disappointingly short. You can really tell they rushed the ending too. I believe it's because it was produced towards the end of LA's adventure game days though and they probably pushed for time and funding. Shame that the sequel was never finished.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #8

i absolutely love that game, and still remember playing it the first time. it's really sad to me now, but i still kinda think of that as one of the "newer" lucasarts titles :lol: i'm not THAT old though.

such a great game, truly brilliant writing and voice acting and storytelling. lucasarts in its prime. you want to just play the whole thing through, which unfortunately you can in very little time. i wish it were longer, and I WISH THEY MADE A SEQUEL ARRRGH! it was a great premise for many good aventures.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
resident moleman

Send a message via ICQ to traz

I'm not puttin' my lips on that.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Pixelthis Big Cheese

haha! That reminds me - I must have got 1/4 of the way through the game before I realised that the Skull was actually TWO buttons/verbs (the eyes and the mouth). It helped enormously once I figured that out

duh!
Old 06-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #11
J.H
Frak.

Great game, recently played it using ScummVM, I was surprised how short it is though, really liked the fighting part on the mine road.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #12
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by traz View Post
I'm not puttin' my lips on that.
I replay Full Throttle every year at least once just to hear Ben say that! The late Roy Conrad did an excellent job of voicing Ben's gruff voice, not to mention Mark Hamill (Ripburger and other roles), Hamilton Camp (Malcolm Corley, Father Torque) and Maurice LaMarche (Nestor, but probably best known as the Brain from Pinky and the Brain and Kif from Futurama!)

The kick-butt soundtrack, mainly by The Gone Jackals impressed me so much that I bought their CD Bone to Pick, which includes the same songs from FT in their entirety!

For me, the toughest parts of the game were the Old Mine Road segment and the entire endgame sequence. The bunny easter egg still cracks me up!

Last edited by Trunkyo; 06-14-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #13

I still havn't played this game yet! I've only hear it get good reviews from fellow Adventure gamers so I know I have to get around to buying it form somewhere (I live in New Zealand so older games are alot harder to find.)

I'm currently replaying Secret of Monkey Island anyways so once I've finished with that I'll try and find a copy.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #14
Headbanger

This is the game that got me into gaming back when it was released.

Now I'm really looking forward to Full Throttle 2 aka Brutal Legend.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #15
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.vullings View Post
haha! That reminds me - I must have got 1/4 of the way through the game before I realised that the Skull was actually TWO buttons/verbs (the eyes and the mouth). It helped enormously once I figured that out

duh!
That's what the manual is for.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #16
The Ultimate Insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post

For me, the toughest parts of the game were the Old Mine Road segment and the entire endgame sequence. The bunny easter egg still cracks me up!
Dun da nun nun dun da nun nun dun da na na na *BOOM*

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 06-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
Full Throttle is most likely THE MOST badass adventure game ever made
Until Brutal Legend hits! Henke is right, BL is pretty much going to be Full Throttle 2. Or maybe Full Throttle 1,000,000.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #18

I was so blown away by the game when I got it. And I was still when I played through it again like a year ago.

I love that game. I really wish they would have released a second one (Even if it wasn't adventure)

Shades of Violet: Song of the Clockwork Princess - Real soon!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Good game but far too short.