You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Whats the most Graphically Lush Adv you have played

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
Seeker Of Red Herring(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I agree, but those are photographs. Nothing beats real life. Well... okay, not always.

How about Anacapri, its beauty takes your breath away.
They are photographs, indeed; but they are damned artistic and damned artistically rendered/presented/touched.

The Anacapri/Capri games deserve all-around praise as well; but I must say in most aspects I appreciate the MDNA games more -- and the graphics definitely win for me with MDNA.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
Game fanatic

The one that had the most profound impression on me, ever, for a game, was Riven. I had never seen a game even remotely as pretty as that back in 1997.

The most graphically lush adventure I've ever played, though ... Myst IV looks absolutely fantastic. Kadish Tolesa in Uru is something I'll never forget. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, A Vampyre Story, Curse of Monkey Island and The Dig give those a run for their money.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #23
tsa
Playing character

The latest incarnation of Myst Online, Uru Live, was probably the best looking game I have ever played. I could play it on my iMac in 1920 x 1080 resolution, and it was very detailed and not even slow. And of course some of the Ages are gorgeous. My favourites were Kadish Tolesa, and the City itself. Gahreesen also is one of my favorites. It always amazed me that despite the moderate graphics card you needed it would run so well. For Dreamfall you needed a much better card and the graphics were not nearly as good.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #24
Stalker of Britain

It's so hard to pick just one, so I hope the original poster wasn't aiming for that. I have to step up, and say that even though it wasn't as beautiful as Dreamfall or anything, the graphics were charming in their own right. What I'm referring to is "Black Mirror" (Yes, I know you all are starig at me now), and the backgrounds of "The Lost Crown"-minus the character animations, of course.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #25

I'd have to go with Myst IV: Revelation, though purely from memory. I haven't looked at it in a while, but from what I remember, it was the best looking game I'd ever seen. Yay for pre-rendered vistas!

Also, The Last Express was quite gorgeous at times, particularly in the fully animated segments.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #26

I have to say Loom. The art in that game ooze of atmosphere like nothing else, and it flows seamlessly with the music and gameplay. Almost every other game have something that breaks the immersion for me, but not that one.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #27

I guess I'd say Dreamfall by today's standards. It should have been a lot of things, but some of the places just looked amazing and the character models were very good. Too bad it was such a non-game.

I also really liked KQ7 at the time, it was like a bunch of cool Disney movies in a King's Quest game.

I don't guess I count prerendered photo games as good graphics.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I have to step up, and say that even though it wasn't as beautiful as Dreamfall or anything, the graphics were charming in their own right. What I'm referring to is "Black Mirror" (Yes, I know you all are starig at me now),.
I agree with you on Black Mirror; absolutely beautiful. Same with NiBiRu which came shortly after. I cannot help but wonder why they didn't keep the same style for Next Life (Reprobates)... the game looks pretty dull except in dream sequences...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 AM   #29
The Quiet One

Another one for The Black Mirror. Just a shame about the slow/ugly looking character models. But the backgrounds do look quite good.

I can't pick just one either, so here's my list of 'Graphically Lush Adventures' i've played (in no particular order):

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
The Curse of Monkey Island
Syberia
Syberia II
Dreamfall
Secret Files: Tunguska
Runaway: A Road Adventure
Discworld II: Missing Presumed...!?
Still Life
Sam & Max - Season One
The Black Mirror

Games that'll make their way onto this list if/when i play them:

The Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition
So Blonde
A Vampyre Story
Dracula: Origin
Myst IV: Revelation
Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island
The Whispered World
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #30
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanparkerfilms View Post
I'd have to go with Myst IV: Revelation, though purely from memory... Also, The Last Express was quite gorgeous at times, particularly in the fully animated segments.
Agreed on both counts.

I also really quite liked the graphics for Dreamfall, though I wish the environment had felt more interactive. Merely walking around in a 3D setting wasn't quite enough for me. I was probably spoiled by TES: Oblivion (another gorgeous game).
Old 06-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #31

Dreamfall. Gorgeous. Pity they wouldn't let you really explore it.

I have fond memories of the visual style of King's Quest VII, though I'm partial also to the more realistic yet still painterly style of KQVI and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

And yes, The Curse of Monkey Island is quite delicious.

Ooh! Grim Fandango, of course: the stylized characters on the fantastically rendered backdrops still hold up. Not a lot of 3D games that can get away with that. Maybe Little Big Adventure 2 if that counts as a graphic adventure...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #32

I thought Discworld II was very heavy in wonderful hi-res cel animation and painted backdrops. Lush!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #33

Although I haven't really played it, Myst IV: Revelation blew my socks off when I watched the intro scene. The sheer realism, mixed with the fantastical architecture is really something to behold.

In terms of pure art style, both Syberia games were magnificent with their Art Nouveau influence.

Obviously Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars is beautifully rendered in 2D, with pristine animation.

Still Life had wonderfully gothic, gritty graphics, and if I can just count Shenmue as an adventure game for a second - those games feature some of the most realized 3D worlds ever. The attention to detail is phenomenal. To think they were made on Dreamcast is almost tough to comprehend when you compare it to other games that were released in 1999.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:25 AM   #34
Fing-longer Inventor

Myst IV really amazed me how beautiful it was when I played it. So much detail and it felt more real than any other game I've played.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #35

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
Still Life had wonderfully gothic, gritty graphics, and if I can just count Shenmue as an adventure game for a second - those games feature some of the most realized 3D worlds ever. The attention to detail is phenomenal. To think they were made on Dreamcast is almost tough to comprehend when you compare it to other games that were released in 1999.
Shenmue is a difficult one, it's like a hybrid of various gaming styles including adventure, fighting, stealth, and RPG. I have Shenmue 2 on the Xbox but did play the original Dreamcast version and it was very impressive.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
Blade Runner
Ah, that one brings back great memories. +1 for this one.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #37

Have to go with "A Vampyre Story".
Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #38

Myst IV: Revelation. Not only was it lush but, very rare for an adventure, the visuals actually moved!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Myst IV: Revelation. Not only was it lush but, very rare for an adventure, the visuals actually moved!
True, the size of the installer was like 7GB
Old 07-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #40

It depends on personal tastes to be brutally honest. Some people rate aesthetic realism (photo-realism) above graphical innovation and being unique which can be equally lush within context - such as cel-shading techniques which imo is beautiful.

I can't really point out one particular game so I will be a rebel and say both Vampyre Story and Keepsake xD

Edit - just ofr information there are lots of PC cel-shaded games released, the most recent being Murder in The Abbey :p

Last edited by Toops144; 07-05-2009 at 02:13 PM.