You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Make way for the Ghost Pirates, LeChuck!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Make way for the Ghost Pirates, LeChuck!

While everyone's dissecting all the new Monkey Island art, just thought I'd pour fuel on the fire give everyone a heads-up that the first images of Autumn Moon's inspired-by-MI-but-much-different-than-MI Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island were released today.

Here's a small sample:

(Full gallery with larger pics right here).

We'll have a first-hand report of Ghost Pirates later. Just alerting people to the pics for now.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #2

As I wrote in another post, why not ditch Telltale and hire Autumn Moon instead!

Those pictures is what I call pirate atmosphere.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

Tongue-in-cheek joking aside, I should clarify that I really don't mean for this to be an "art wars" thread. I'm personally very enthused about both games, and I think both styles have their own charm, their own strengths. I just didn't want Ghost Pirates lost in the shuffle of all the "other" pirate news.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #4

It surely won't be forgotten packing that kind of wonderful art. Hopefully the writing is just as good. Fine art without a good story to back it up is just a waste.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #5

Great...now everyone should be satisfied.
Those who were disappointed by telltale's graphics can play this.
The rest of us that our primary concern is good writing will stick with tales of monkey island.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedas View Post
As I wrote in another post, why not ditch Telltale and hire Autumn Moon instead!

I assume because they played "vampire story".
Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #7

Vampire Story had its faults, the huge one was writing. But the art was lovely, not that artificial stuff we see in the new MI screenshots. Either thing spoils a potentially good game in my opinion.

Oh, and I'm not talking "graphics" here! What I enjoy is art, the thing made by humans who care for more than function.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #8

Now that screenie oozes atmosphere.. If only we could combine the talents in future releases
Old 06-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Vampire Story had its faults, the huge one was writing. But the art was lovely, not that artificial stuff we see in the new MI screenshots. Either thing spoils a potentially good game in my opinion.

Oh, and I'm not talking "graphics" here! What I enjoy is art, the thing made by humans who care for more than function.

I agree with you that autumn moon's graphics are beautiful but personally I believe that telltale's awesome writing and excellent voice acting are far more important and really rare in the adventure gaming industry.
I can play a good written game with bad graphics but I can't stand playing a bad written game no matter how amazing the graphics are.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
I agree with you that autumn moon's graphics are beautiful but personally I believe that telltale's awesome writing and excellent voice acting are far more important and really rare in the adventure gaming industry.
I can play a good written game with bad graphics but I can't stand playing a bad written game no matter how amazing the graphics are.
I agree with you as well. I'm just a sucker for games that have both (those magic few). In the end I feel a bit heartbroken when a game doesn't live up to my high standards when it could have, with just a bit more effort/love and/or more money. In that sense I am a romantic, waiting for the right game to sweep me off my feet.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
I agree with you as well. I'm just a sucker for games that have both (those magic few).
Isn't everyone?...

But judging from each company's (telltale and autumn moon) previous releases one pretty much guarantees good writing and voice acting and the other great graphics but pretty average writing.....so the choice, at least to me, is pretty clear.

Although, like ightenhill said, a collaboration between the two would be awesome.

Quote:
In the end I feel a bit heartbroken when a game doesn't live up to my high standards when it could have, with just a bit more effort/love and/or more money.
I only wish love and effort could make a game perfect, what really matters is talent, and that's really hard to find.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
But judging from each company's (telltale and autumn moon) previous releases one pretty much guarantees good writing and voice acting and the other great graphics but pretty average writing.....so the choice, at least to me, is pretty clear.
I don't think a company's first game is a guarantee of anything except that the next one will probably be better. Sort of like how Autumn Moon has brought in Jesse Clark and Larry Ahern for AVS2 because they knew the writing was too weak, and have another writer entirely on Ghost Pirates.

But since we can only speculate about such things for both games at this point, this thread is really just all about the eye candy.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I don't think a company's first game is a guarantee of anything except that the next one will probably be better. Sort of like how Autumn Moon has brought in Jesse Clark and Larry Ahern for AVS2 because they knew the writing was too weak, and have another writer entirely on Ghost Pirates.

But since we can only speculate about such things for both games at this point, this thread is really just all about the eye candy.

I wasn't aware of that. I really hope their future releases with the new writers will be much better.
Still, telltale has already proved what it can deliver so it was the right choice for Lucas arts.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
Hopeful skeptic

Yeah, forumites tend to forget to visit the main site often enough.

I hope and expect both companies to do good things with their respective games. To me that's not even an issue. I'm even glad they don't look much alike. Makes for more diversity, even in semi-similar subject matter.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Yeah, forumites tend to forget to visit the main site often enough.
Yes, that's true...I always go directly to the forums. However, there used to be a news feed at the top of the forum pages....where did that go? It was really convenient.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
Hopeful skeptic

It's still there for the main site index, but it didn't make it over to the individual forum pages. Not sure why, exactly. The forum layout is still a work-in-progress, though. Just not very quick progress.

But hey, there's always that big AG logo beckoning!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
Stalker of Britain

The artwork of the ghost is very visually appealing. I wasn't looking forward to this game since it's not my type, but just the graphics are enough to turn my head.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

I admire Autumn Moon's attention to detail and especially their lighting. They really know how to make you feel like you're in a cinematic cartoon movie. Spectacular.

This is such a special time to be an adventure gamer again.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
never stops believin'

I think the picture posted above looks really, really, super corny. Flame away!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Yea, it does look "corny" in all its wacky, zany, imperfect cartoon glory. And that's why I love it.