You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Monkey Island Art ?

View Poll Results: When you compare with whole series how do you feel about new MI art?
That's Great 17 30.91%
Ok iguess 6 10.91%
MI Special edition feels better 7 12.73%
MI 4 art was better 3d 2 3.64%
MI 3 charming than ever 19 34.55%
MI &MI2 Nothing beats the classics 4 7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Schättenjager

Default New Monkey Island Art ?

How do you feel about new Monkey Island art ?
I think really important that results of pool will reveal on which level we sharing devs. opinions on game's art style .

That's Great or ok.

MI Special edition feels better

MI 4 art was better as 3d

MI 3 charming than ever

MI &MI2 Nothing beats the classics

Last edited by Gabe; 06-02-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:28 AM   #2

the poll options aren't very well designed. i agree with several of them at the same time.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll View Post
the poll options aren't very well designed. i agree with several of them at the same time.
Make it simple that options for you either choose one of series best art compare to new one or just give ok for new installment.

Agree several on same time not the option coz there are 5 different styles so you have to point out only the most you like.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Bart

Why do they always have to use 3d. So annoying, while obviously most people prefer either the MI1 + 2 graphics which I guess will never happen, or the MI3 cartoon graphics which I adored. So much more atmosphere when these graphics are used imo, 3d looks so lifeless and fake.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
More slaw!!!

I, for one, am definitely not liking the look of Guybrush. He doesn't look very... Guybrush-y. That said, it doesn't really matter considering I am 100% without a doubt purchasing this.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #6
The Quiet One

I definitely prefer the graphics to COMI and SOMI Special Edition than the graphics to TOMI. But out of EFMI and TOMI - i haven't really decided.

Personally, i'm looking forward to this Special Edition more than these episodes. But even if the graphics aren't anything special, i'm just happy that we're getting more Monkey Island goodness. As well as Telltale working with LucasArts and Dominic Armato.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-02-2009, 03:29 AM   #7
J.H
Frak.

I prefer the new MI1 art to the tales of MI but CMI has the best art for me hands down.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:34 AM   #8

It's nice that people always find something to complain about....

Anyway, yeah I prefer COMI and the SOMI special edition style of graphics... but I don't really care...monkey island was never about the graphics (although it certainly added to the atmosphere) but about the humor...and I'm confident telltale will do justice to the series.

Also the kind of graphics telltale use in the new series (like sam and max) somehow look better in motion while playing the game rather than in screenshots.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Personally I think the classic more realistic approach were great styles they should have build on. You can still be goofy without having to look goofy too. By the look of the character potraits sketches, there was some nice ideas you can see that looks closer to the originals but unfortunately they did not go that route.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...lliams/1-5.png

look at the middle one!

The remake one is pretty loyal, and if you dont like it you can always switch to the old.

The third game had so much personality but I never liked guybrushes design though...

The new episodic one looks pretty dead to me, probably due to their engine they are using. As if you look at the sketches they have for that game its not bad. Its just how they manage to make it into 3d that makes it look horrible..
Old 06-02-2009, 05:44 AM   #10
Life and times of...

I started with Escape from Monkey Island, so I guess that's why I've always been more positive towards in than the usual adventure gamer...

I don't know which one I like the most though, both of the new versions look a bit odd and if I had to make my decision based on those pictures it would be EfMI, but then even Ron Gilbert wasn't sure how he feels about those close-ups so one can't really base their opinion on that.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #11

I like the TMI Guybrush over the special edition one, and I like Curse the best out of all of them, but I'm not one to get hung up over graphics. I'm just happy that MI is back!

Last edited by cwapitm; 06-02-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Personally, I've never been fond of the art style Telltale seems to use for all their games. I'm addicted to great graphics, so I'm biased, but their art strikes me as amatuerish and overly simplified. I'd like to see them push the envelope far more than the screens we've seen so far suggest they have. Gabe's first post illustrates that well: The EMI screenshot is oozing with atmosphere and style, but the TOMI screenshot is just kind of... lacking.

Don't get me wrong; I'm enormously happy to see more Monkey Island. I'm just confused by Telltale's design decisions.

Last edited by Giligan; 06-02-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
Seeker Of Red Herring(s)

Quote:
I'm addicted to great graphics, so I'm biased
Oh, so you're biased towards great graphics when speaking of the kind of graphics you prefer. How unusual. Anyone else have this strange bias?

The only one I don't like is MI4. The rest are "all good"... as the kids say.

I just hope the game (series) doesn't suck because it's been completely reduced to a hand-hold-cartoon, because I'm biased towards games that don't suck.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikane Zaprick View Post
Oh, so you're biased towards great graphics when speaking of the kind of graphics you prefer. How unusual. Anyone else have this strange bias?

What I meant was that I'm generally ill-favored towards games that don't have good graphics, regardless of what else they have going for them.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #15

The polls a bit ambiguous to make a vote count properly for me you should have just had choices of like it or dont like it as the results going to be pretty meaningless.. For me though this new release (art wise) looks like every other japanese console game so for that reason I hate it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #16
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ightenhill View Post
The polls a bit ambiguous to make a vote count properly for me you should have just had choices of like it or dont like it as the results going to be pretty meaningless.. For me though this new release (art wise) looks like every other japanese console game so for that reason I hate it.
I think results are preetty clear by now, %70 of fans prefers old or new 2d art style while %14 thinks new 3d good and other %14 passable.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
Seeker Of Red Herring(s)

Quote:
I think results are preetty clear by now, %70 of fans prefers old or new 2d art style while %14 thinks new 3d good and other %14 passable.
The only thing that is preeeety clear is what you intended the results of this poll to say...

You wouldn't have set the poll up in the first place unless you could find an angle to criticize, and this early on with only screenshots at your disposal... that's all you can begin to criticize... let's be honest.

You wouldn't have worded everything so transparently in the poll unless you had an indeniable bias. Though your bias is charming, it's a classic mistake.

And you wouldn't now be re-wording (toning down) the positive ratings for the new graphics either. Still it's a great poll... er... I mean a good one.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #18
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikane Zaprick View Post
The only thing that is preeeety clear is what you intended the results of this poll to say...

You wouldn't have set the poll up in the first place unless you could find an angle to criticize, and this early on with only screenshots at your disposal... that's all you can begin to criticize... let's be honest.

You wouldn't have worded everything so transparently in the poll unless you had an indeniable bias. Though your bias is charming, it's a classic mistake.

And you wouldn't now be re-wording (toning down) the positive ratings for the new graphics either. Still it's a great poll... er... I mean a good one.

Superlatives not important here what important is how adv.gamers like to play a new MI.One of the greatest adv.game of all times returns after a decade and preview reveals a month before release date.My opinion that's pretty much overlooking fanbase,we
didnt even see a sketch beforethat now just signed sealed and delivered.I'm not critising game yet(not before playing full release)these are just the facts.

Last edited by Gabe; 06-03-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Superlatives not important here what important is how adv.gamers like to play a new MI.One of the greatest adv.game of all times returns after a decade and preview reveals a month before release date.My opinion that's pretty much overlooking fanbase,we
didnt even see a sketch beforethat now just signed sealed and delivered.I'm not critising game yet(not before playing full release)these are just the facts.
(Mis)quoting the great Marv Levy, if adventure game designers start listening to adventure game fans, soon enough they'll be one.

Usually, announcements for games I'm excited about come like two years before the actual game - i think knowing I only have to wait a month is awesome.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Make it simple that options for you either choose one of series best art compare to new one or just give ok for new installment.

Agree several on same time not the option coz there are 5 different styles so you have to point out only the most you like.
nah it's your limitations of english or something. the poll options just aren't designed right. they don't all follow the same logic.