Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Puzzle Type AG Recommendations? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/24809-puzzle-type-ag-recommendations.html)

SnorkleCat 06-01-2009 09:39 AM

Puzzle Type AG Recommendations?

I really love games like Safecracker and the Myst series.... can you all make some recommendations on good, puzzle-heavy adventure games out there?

Thanks much :)

nogwart 06-01-2009 10:13 AM

I love AGs with lots of puzzles too! I just finished Safecracker: The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure, and thought it was great!

Some of my other favorites are:

1. 7th Guest
2. Sentinel: Descendants In Time
3. BOTH Safecrackers (in case you haven't played them both)
4. Jewels Of The Oracle
5. Myst
6. Riven
7. Myst: Exile

I'll be getting around to the remaining Myst games eventually... :)

SnorkleCat 06-01-2009 10:23 AM

I didn't even know there were two Safecrackers! Awesome... and thank you for the other suggestions as well. I appreciate it. :)

tsa 06-01-2009 10:28 AM

Hi SnorkleCat, I haven't seen you in a long time! Everything OK?

As an answer to your question:

- Schyszm or how do you spell that,
- Keepsake
- Voyage (Journey to the Moon)
- Return to Mysterious Island
- Alida (the adventure with the guitar-shaped island).

SuperEdy 06-01-2009 10:38 AM

The first Safecracker is really not worth it, the puzzles are very poor.
There are dozens of Myst clones, here you can find a list of them http://justadventure.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1121474960
My favourite is Obsidian

Jelena 06-01-2009 10:41 AM

I have to second Sentinel. Not much of a story, but a lot of puzzles where you need to take notes and draw maps.
Black Dahlia is also a game with lots of challenging puzzles AND it has a fantastic story.

SnorkleCat 06-01-2009 10:43 AM

Hi TSA, well ye know life and all that...a break up...a move across the world.. and all that. These things happen. Nice to be back though and really looking for some good games for diversion. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Fantasysci5 06-01-2009 11:58 AM

Rhem is a heavy puzzle game, Myst-clone, which didn't have much of a story for me, but had lots and lots of puzzles.

colpet 06-01-2009 12:43 PM

Yay! Another puzzle centric fan. Definitely Rhem 1, 2, and 3. A few not mentioned:
Riddle of the Shpinx
Entombed Enhanced
Chaos a Fantasy Adventure
Connections
Milo
Cassandra Galleries
Chemicus
Physicus
Bioscopia
Drowned God
Fool's Errand (a freebie)
Outcry
Shivers 1 ad 2
Rama
Reah
Secret of the Luxor
Timelapse
Morpheus

crabapple 06-01-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperEdy (Post 510603)
The first Safecracker is really not worth it, the puzzles are very poor.

Not all of the puzzles were poor. And even if the puzzles were of uneven quality, it's not like there are that many puzzle games to choose from and the first Safecracker was certainly longer than the second. The biggest problem with it is getting it to run on a modern computer. It has speed issues with the inventory zipping by at light speed.

Snorklecat, just so you know --
Schizm is the same game as Mysterious Journey.
Schizm 2 is the same game as Mysterious Journey 2.
Sentinel is the same game as Realms of Illusion.

The Omega Stone was sort of a sequel to Riddle of the Sphinx, though instead of staying in Egypt you travel to ancient locations around the world in Omega Stone.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-01-2009 10:17 PM

http://delicategeniusblog.com/wp-con.../11/portal.png

P0RTAL !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 509912)
Have you played it? If so, did you notice how it seems to start as a puzzle game, but no sooner do you start your first puzzle that you notice narrative elements subtly being introduced to you? In fact, after solving some of the puzzles, even more narrative is revealed - in environmental clues, objects, and characterization. Now doesn't that sound familiar to you? What adventure game have you possibly played before that works exactly like that? I can name one: Myst.

RockNFknRoll 06-01-2009 10:42 PM

I find all the Kheops games really fun. Not exactly puzzles in the sense of board puzzles, but it's pretty much all problem solving without letting the stories (which are still cool) or any pretension get in the way.

colpet 06-02-2009 03:28 AM

I got all excited about Portal, then read the review. It's keyboard or game pad controls. From the review:
Quote:

Controls in Portal couldn't be much simpler, utilizing the standard mouse-WASD keyboard combination of most action games. There is no inventory, just the ability to pick up and carry a single item in front of you until you release it. The dual portal gun is fired using the left and right mouse buttons, and the portals are coloured differently so that you can easily remember which you need to place next. There is only one movement speed, a slow run that is more than enough since any significant movement is reliant upon portal placement, not fleetness of foot. Jumping is as easy as a tap of the space bar, and while you'll do a lot of leaping throughout the game, relatively few require precision timing or skillful physical maneuvering.
In fact, the "action" quotient in Portal is fairly minimal overall. Despite its superficial shooter-like comparisons, the whole point of portal use is to defy physical obstacles – to manipulate or bypass them entirely rather than overcome them through speed or force. The exercise, then, is one of tactical planning through a series of environmental puzzles, requiring far more thought than reflex. You can die, but not often and not easily. Even the turrets do minimal damage, generally allowing you loads of time to duck out of harm's way, instantly restoring you to full health.
Perhaps more Uru than Myst.

ightenhill 06-03-2009 10:12 AM

try... dracula origins..

Intrepid Homoludens 06-03-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colpet (Post 510775)
I got all excited about Portal, then read the review. It's keyboard or game pad controls...

Perhaps more Uru than Myst.

:) More Uru in terms of interface, but more Myst by way of narrative style. Instead of tons of text to read, the story is slowly revealed through visual clues, environmental details and anomalies, and symbolism. And of course, spoken, through GLaDOS.

Squinky 06-03-2009 10:25 AM

The Neverhood was pretty puzzly, IIRC.

Mikane Zaprick 06-03-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

The Neverhood was pretty puzzly, IIRC.
Definitely a poetic 21st century kind of statement.

Oh, and ETA, while I'm here: I'll throw these 2 in the mix again:

Missing: Since January
Evidence: The Last Ritual

Quite puzzly. And quite mental in other ways too.

ggreen737 06-03-2009 05:20 PM

What are some of the best "Puzzle Oriented" Adventure games?

I just finished 3 Cards to Midnight, and I loved the puzzles after each level a little more than the whole hidden object aspect of it. I'm not well versed in puzzle type games, I'm more inclined to adventures, but I'm thinking of giving them a try.

So what are some of the best puzzle adv. games?

EDIT: I don't like Myst, I don't have that kind of patience I guess. But I guess I'm thinking along those same lines.

Mikane Zaprick 06-03-2009 05:36 PM

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=24809

ggreen737 06-03-2009 06:15 PM

Oh, whoops, thanks very much.