Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   An Adventure Game Odyssey: Lost Classics (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/24729-adventure-game-odyssey-lost-classics.html)

maxpayne2409 05-21-2009 02:07 PM

An Adventure Game Odyssey: Lost Classics

Ok so here is the deal.

I have decided i am going to (or at least try to) play every adventure game ever made

I started this late last night with a game i had never played

Quest For Gold - Eldorado (based on a disney film of the same name that i've also never seen before)

The voice acting in it was quite good, but the game itself was very very overly easy offering little to no challenge whatso ever, the story was fun and it was set in a period of history i'm interested in, which maybe helped it offer more fun to me then other people.

I might even watch the film it's based on.

This weekend i will replay the excellent Monkey Island series, or at least 1-3, as my copy of 4 appears to no longer work :'(

Everyone feel free to recommend some i should play preferably start with point and click based graphic adventures (monkey island, beneath a steel sky etc) or graphic text adventures (kings, space, police quest etc).

Other games i have also played recently (last 3 months) that i will include in my big adventure quest are

Flight of the amazon queen
Simon the sorcerer 1
gobliiins 4
the longest journey 1 and 2 (dreamfall)
discworld 1-3
maniac mansion
day of the tentacle
grim fandango

maxpayne2409 05-22-2009 02:53 AM

Started playing Broken sword 1: shadow of the templars, last night, good so far, got 2-4 ready to go afterwards, i dont remember playing broken sword fully, so this will be a treat

Tiocfaidh 05-22-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpayne2409 (Post 509181)
Started playing Broken sword 1: shadow of the templars, last night, good so far, got 2-4 ready to go afterwards, i dont remember playing broken sword fully, so this will be a treat

Have fun :)

Keep this thread alive even if there shouldn´t be too many replies !
I´m curious on your take on all those games.

PS
Broken Sword >>>> awesome

nonax 05-22-2009 11:04 AM

Only commercial releases I hope? You'll be amazed how many amateur adventures are out there. Only the AGS site has already over 600 of them!
Anyway, good luck! I'm eager to find out about your experiences!

Phod 05-22-2009 04:38 PM

Hehe, I'm in a similar boat. Having turned into full time daddy my game playing time has been reduced significantly so my backlog is huge. I've been trying to catch up as there are a bunch of titles I've missed on and plenty of titles I have played but would like to replay.

Keep us posted on your efforts :)

maxpayne2409 05-22-2009 05:53 PM

I wouldn't say i was addicted or anything but i was up til 4:30am yesterday playing Broken Sword 1.... so yeah, it's a fun game, comedy accents and comedy in all the right places.
The 2 french policemen remind me a lot of Inspector Clouseau (peter sellers) and his sidekick in the old pink panther movies.

Trumgottist 05-23-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpayne2409 (Post 509077)
Quest For Gold - Eldorado (based on a disney film of the same name that i've also never seen before)

The voice acting in it was quite good, but the game itself was very very overly easy offering little to no challenge whatso ever, the story was fun and it was set in a period of history i'm interested in, which maybe helped it offer more fun to me then other people.

I might even watch the film it's based on.

Assuming you mean The Road to Eldorado (made by Revolution of Broken Sword fame), I liked the game, and saw the movie (Dreamworks, not Disney) after having played it. I'd probably have liked the movie better if I hadn't played the game first. Now I got slightly disappointed by it.

maxpayne2409 05-23-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist (Post 509412)
Assuming you mean The Road to Eldorado (made by Revolution of Broken Sword fame), I liked the game, and saw the movie (Dreamworks, not Disney) after having played it. I'd probably have liked the movie better if I hadn't played the game first. Now I got slightly disappointed by it.

Yeah that's the one i meant haha, it was getting on 4am again when i finished it (only started it an hour or so earlier), i'll let you know my feelings on the movie aswell when i track it down

heribertovalle 05-23-2009 04:53 PM

Do I feel a world record in the making?

maxpayne2409 05-23-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heribertovalle (Post 509457)
Do I feel a world record in the making?

Possibly so, but i have nobody keeping score other then myself, so i don't think you'll ever see it in the guiness book of world records: gamers edition

Incidently i am trying to complete all games without the use of guides/walkthroughs :)

Gonzosports 05-26-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpayne2409 (Post 509474)
Possibly so, but i have nobody keeping score other then myself, so i don't think you'll ever see it in the guiness book of world records: gamers edition

Incidently i am trying to complete all games without the use of guides/walkthroughs :)

As a concerned human, I would remind you that Vitamin D is necessary. I play maybe 4-5 games in a year, which is less than I'd like, but there is life beyond pointing and clicking*!

*"there's more to life than books you know, but not much more, not much more."

Gonzosports 05-26-2009 04:31 PM

However, let me recommend Neuromancer, Riven, and Loom.

maxpayne2409 05-26-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzosports (Post 509908)
However, let me recommend Neuromancer, Riven, and Loom.

loom is/was a great game, never played the other 2, but ill look out for them.

Don't worry, i always have my 5 fruit/veg a day ;), plus i have a job that keeps me on my feet and exercised, hence why i'm still on broken sword 1 lol

Thief 05-26-2009 10:45 PM

Good luck for your adventure quest. But if you intend to finish the games without the help of a walkthrough, do not even think to start playing Riven.

maxpayne2409 05-27-2009 03:52 AM

oh.... is it really difficult?, i'll give it a go anyway, maybe i'll get lucky :D

Gonzosports 05-27-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 509938)
Good luck for your adventure quest. But if you intend to finish the games without the help of a walkthrough, do not even think to start playing Riven.

I don't disagree - but I'd heard this so many times that I played through Riven (after having it on the drive for about 4 years and just poking around) pretty much alongside the big, giant, tip hint guidebook (do they still make those, the one for Riven is great, in addition to the hints/walkthrough, they also give you an insight onto the philosophies behind some of the puzzles, which sometimes was obvious, but sometimes I just missed) ANYWAY! - I played through Riven with the guide and realized that although there are some monster/mind-eating puzzles, there were definitely some I could have figured out on my own, and wish I did.

I consider Riven (and I've stated on here ad nauseam) the greatest computer game of all-time, and I also think that it's a game that you shouldn't sit down to complete. It's like James Joyce's Ulysses, read as much as you can understand, and attack it over a lifetime, or a year, it's worth it.

So I might recommend playing Riven last on your AdventureGameQuest (or while you play others.)

maxpayne2409 05-29-2009 05:00 PM

ah right, that's what i'll do then :)

I finally got round to finishing Broken Sword 1 (Shadow of The Templars) and have started 2 (The Smoking Mirror).

I really enjoyed the first one, it had a storyline that i enjoyed, the puzzles varied from simply obvious to requires a bit of outside the box thinking, but nothing ever in the league of "use the rubber chicken to persuade the plant to grow into a corned beef sandwich" like some games do.
The acting was better then many adventure (or any genre) game i remember from the period it was made and many years up until even now in some games cases. There were some wooden moments but it's to be expected, sometimes the writen relationship between George & Nico seemed warm, other times it felt like "i just escaped from a deathly escapade while being shot at and jumping off a huge cliff into a truck and all you can say is "oh hi george""

The villians of the peice were fittingly written with a comedy villian edge which gave the whole thing a pink panther-esque feel which i enjoyed.

Overall an enjoyable game with (still) pleasant graphics and an engaging storyline, and funny "everyday" dialogue and voicework. Nice soundtrack that fits the style and occassions with excitement and relaxation. Recommend

Unfortunately so far the sequel really isn't engaging me anywhere near as much as the first did, i don't like the loss of the map, instead he tells you where you can go and you choose one, i also don't like the inclusion of the utilities (save/load etc) into the top of the screen instead of on a seperate screen. Also the puzzles in it seem a little more "wacky" and less real then they were in the first. Though time will tell if it picks up a bit

maxpayne2409 05-29-2009 06:45 PM

oh and broken sword 2 has this annoying glitch where it blinks black every so often

Mohlin 05-30-2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpayne2409 (Post 509909)
Don't worry, i always have my 5 fruit/veg a day ;), plus i have a job that keeps me on my feet ...

Yeah, but no girl/boyfriend, eyh? :D

Don't forget the early ones Uninvited, Fools Errend and the other classics.

maxpayne2409 06-02-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohlin (Post 510358)
Yeah, but no girl/boyfriend, eyh? :D

Don't forget the early ones Uninvited, Fools Errend and the other classics.

Girlfriend, i'm straight lol, unless you didn't know i was a Guy, in which case i'll let you off lol.

Broken sword 2 is really giving me the urge to just cancel his whole thing, but i'm no quitter, so i refuse to, plus i just found out simon the sorcerer 5 is coming out later this year, which reminded me i had forgotten to buy sts4... so i bought it lol