You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Apparently a special edition of Secret of Monkey Island is headed to xbla

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII
Default Apparently a special edition of Secret of Monkey Island is headed to xbla

Well I hope it comes to more than xbla but sounds interesting if its a graphical remake..

Yes, it's been an awfully long time, but it appears that The Secret Of Monkey Island is coming back, and to the Xbox 360.

The German USK rating board has revealed that The Secret Of Monkey Island - Special Edition is on its way. This was the very original Monkey Island game, from all the way back in 1990. As for what makes it a Special Edition is currently unknown -- could they be re-doing the graphics? Could the game possibly have a voice cast?

The rating suggests that Activision might have some involvement in the project, but most likely this is simply Activision Europe rating the title for LucasArts, as they are the European publishing arm that LucasArts use. We can only assume this is an Xbox Live Arcade title, but there is a slim chance that this is a retail retelling of the original too.

source:

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/05/th..._island_co.php

yay for more guybrush!

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 05-20-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #2

I think this thing is also coming to wii/wiiware. In the new IGN nintendo podcast they play the sound of monkeys as a hint for an upcoming game:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/984/984803p1.html
Old 05-20-2009, 05:02 AM   #3

I am already playing this on my Wii.

Still, it is good to see LucasArts getting back to some of the stuff that helped build their empire. Just so happens that it is also my favorite stuff ever made!!

Hope it comes to PSN/PC as well as Wii and 360 though. Ignoring any would be silly since (unless there is a huge graphical overhaul) it is an old game that does not need updating.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Life and times of...

Finally I can get my (virtual) hands on it

This is exactly the kind of thing they should do more. Old hard-to-get classics (and especially adventure games, of course ).

I suppose it's cheapish too...
Old 05-21-2009, 02:52 AM   #5
Puts the 'e' in Mark

For what it's worth, here's the news we posted on this yesterday:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1893
Old 05-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
A Mighty Fine Pirate

Send a message via ICQ to maxpayne2409 Send a message via MSN to maxpayne2409 Send a message via Yahoo to maxpayne2409

oh my god, this game was what got me into adventure gaming, it drew me in with it's story of buckles being swashed and ghostly pirates being rootbeard (see what i did there)

I have a wii but rarely use it, so i really hope this game comes to psn and/or pc. I wonder if they will add trophies for a ps3 version haha just kidding, that would be a stupid idea.

Though if it does go platform wide and sells really well it might hopefully open the door for a new monkey island game, which would be awesome
Old 05-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #7

Consider me interested. Like some of you guys, it's the special edition part that has captured the most attention. I'm still a little cautious, though. Mainly 'cause most of the people who we associate with awesomeness at the 'ol homestead have moved on, so anything new could go either way. Might be good, though. Consider me hopeful and optimistic!

Last edited by D.C.; 05-22-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 AM   #8
The Quiet One

I'm just happy and excited that an old classic adventure is being re-released and coming to a platform like the 360. Not something i ever expected.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 AM   #9
A Mighty Fine Pirate

Send a message via ICQ to maxpayne2409 Send a message via MSN to maxpayne2409 Send a message via Yahoo to maxpayne2409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
I'm just happy and excited that an old classic adventure is being re-released and coming to a platform like the 360. Not something i ever expected.
See it needs to go ps3 aswell so i can play it, i have a wii aswell but i'd rather it go ps3
Old 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
Confused

One more vote for the PSN for me, but I'd be ok with WiiWare or PC as well. This would especially good for because I cannot for the life of me remember the end of Monkey Island 1, having only completed it once, very, very long ago.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
A Mighty Fine Pirate

well yeah i'd go for a pc version aswell, while i have a wii i dont really care for wiiware
Old 05-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #12

Default Hopefully they enhance it

I'm expecting it having HD graphics which are faithful to the original, but with more colours and no aliasing and a full talkie!

Lucasarts should really let there be Monkey Island 5, but they simply should outsource it to Telltale, give them the resources and let them hire Ron Gilbert!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #13

If Lucasarts is doing this, is it possible for a Full throttle release or maybe Sam and Max hit the road for the wii and XBLA?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #14

Fate of Atlantis and now SOMI. Has LucasArts finally seen the light? Are Star Wars games no longer selling as much as they'd like?

Regardless, it's great new, and I think this could really turn the table for LucasArts again, if it sells well. It's a good chance we'll see more of their back catalogue in the future. I'd say Monkey Island 5 would be one of the smallest risks outside of Star Wars and Indy. I just hope that IF there's a Monkey Island 5, it'll still be an adventure game - at least at heart.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

One thing I am wondering about, are there any developers left who were involved with the Monkey Island series? As Lucas Arts did lay off a lot of developers after 2000...

I have played them all but never completed them but the third one was amazing, without Ron Gilbert or Tim Schafer..
Old 05-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
A Mighty Fine Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Fate of Atlantis and now SOMI. Has LucasArts finally seen the light? Are Star Wars games no longer selling as much as they'd like?
to be fair most star wars games are boring anyway, the only one that isnt really is lego star wars.

What's this about indy fate of atlantis rereleased? i guess it never came to ps3?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilou View Post
I'm expecting it having HD graphics which are faithful to the original, but with more colours and no aliasing and a full talkie!
I really doubt that. It'd be too expensive to make sense. I expect it to be more along the lines of the updated Windows releases they did a few years ago of Sam & Max, Full Throttle and The Dig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpayne2409 View Post
What's this about indy fate of atlantis rereleased? i guess it never came to ps3?
See the AG news item that Marek linked to above.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
A Mighty Fine Pirate

i don't see a link regarding indy, just monkey island links
Old 05-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #19
Game Creator Hobbyist

Read it anyway, and all will be clear.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #20

To make it easier... a Fate of Atlantis port will be included on the new Indy game for the Wii, and feature pointing and clicking with your wiimote.