You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Have anyone finished Gabriel Knight 1 without a guide?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #1

Default Have anyone finished Gabriel Knight 1 without a guide?

I was wondering if anyone here have finished Gabriel Knight 1 Sins of the Fathers without using a guide or walkthrouh once?

If so, how are you supposed to really find out what to write on the cemetery wall? I have read about 5 different guides and no body explains how this information is found
Old 05-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
scapegoat sculptor

I was forced to!!!

didn't have internet back then when it came out

however I really can't remember the cemetery scene - had it something to do with yellow crayon - or was that Zak McKracken??? ooooh no it was red brick u draw with, wasn't it? (the other one was ZM indeed! hehehehe)

still one of my all-time favourits - this game has a certain mood which is beyond words! mmmhh New Orleans....

actually it went 'fairly' smooth up until the point where you had to find a secret
Spoiler:
button inside the confession booth - if I remember right?
It took me ages to figure that out - almost went insane!!!

Last edited by Tramponline; 05-19-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramponline View Post
I was forced to!!!

didn't have internet back then when it came out

however I really can't remember the cemetery scene - had it something to do with yellow crayon - or was that Zak McKracken??? ooooh no it was red brick u draw with, wasn't it? (the other one was ZM indeed! hehehehe)

still one of my all-time favourits - this game has a certain mood which is beyond words! mmmhh New Orleans....

actually it went 'fairly' smooth up until the point where you had to find a secret
Spoiler:
button inside the confession booth - if I remember right?
It took me ages to figure that out - almost went insane!!!
PLease try to remember.. There was guides in paper form back then though?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
scapegoat sculptor

wow that was ages ago...no actually I hate walkthroughs...diminishes my playing experience...and my ego

Spoiler:
for sure check the tomb of the 'voodoo queen', copy it and talk to the care taker...doesn't he tell you about all the other freakish marks on other graves aswell???

but I reckon u've already done that, haven't you?

damned!!! almost forgot those spoiler marks...

actually about those guides in paper form. Usually they were sent in by readers to the various magazines and it took quite a while from a release of a game to a detailed printed walktrough.

Last edited by Tramponline; 05-19-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramponline View Post
wow that was ages ago...no actually I hate walkthroughs...diminishes my playing experience...and my ego

Spoiler:
for sure check the tomb of the 'voodoo queen', copy it and talk to the care taker...doesn't he tell you about all the other freakish marks on other graves aswell???

but I reckon u've already done that, haven't you?

damned!!! almost forgot those spoiler marks...

actually about those guides in paper form. Usually they were sent in by readers to the various magazines and it took quite a while from a release of a game to a detailed printed walktrough.
Yes he talks about there being other marks, but there is none, i am so curious beacuase of all the guides i have read, NO one is explayning how you are supposed to come up with what your should write, the logic behind it.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
scapegoat sculptor

even if you can't see them straight away - wasn't there a way to put them in a notebook or something and observe them afterwards?

damn actually now you made me curious - I think I'll replay it tomorrow!!

Last edited by Tramponline; 05-19-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Spoiler:
Once you have the translation of both the messages from Magentia Moonbeam, you realize that there's going to be a conclave that night, at the Bayou St. John (as Dr. John and the newspaper clippings suggest). But how could Gabriel find them in the bayou? With Mosely track device. Now... Where to put the bug to actually find them? Hartbrigde's lecture should told you what tools the voodoo people usually employ during their "meetings" and now it's only a matter to find the right object that can easily hide the bug. Once you found it, you will know what to write
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Yeah, easy as pancake

Somehow I managed to figured it out on my own too. But maybe I was just lucky.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
scapegoat sculptor

Damned Andrea!!! I knew you would jump in and solve the riddle straight away!!!

now all our lovely wild guessing and 'half-knowledge' is all to waste!!!

...don't you have a playthrough to coordinate????!??!

Last edited by Tramponline; 05-19-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #10

Andrea and Ascovel, did you also manage to finish the whole game without ever using a guide? Its so hard when you sometimes miss stuff in the background..
Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast View Post
Andrea and Ascovel, did you also manage to finish the whole game without ever using a guide? Its so hard when you sometimes miss stuff in the background..
Nah, but almost... The part that proved to difficult for me was finding a Travel Agency that would get Gabriel to Germany. Why couldn't he just go and buy some travel magazine or something or ask Gracie to do it for him?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast View Post
I had to use it only once, for the clock in Grandma's attic
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Nah, but almost... The part that proved to difficult for me was finding a Travel Agency that would get Gabriel to Germany. Why couldn't he just go and buy some travel magazine or something or ask Gracie to do it for him?
Yes, its a wonderfull game, but its frustrating when you have to stumle over something by accident to figure it out. I found out about the ashtray with the snakescale inside by luck, i cant even see the ashtray with my bare eyes even when i KNOW it is there..
Old 05-20-2009, 02:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Why couldn't he just go and buy some travel magazine or something or ask Gracie to do it for him?
He couldn't tell her because then he would have to explain why he was paying with Mosely's card

Old 05-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #15
Sik

I didn't use a walkthrough, but I remember my copy of the game came with an additional manual page with the exact sentence you should write on the wall in several different languages. It also said something about a bug that would hinder progress if you didn't get the sentence right.

I don't remember the details. Maybe someone else with a better memory got the same version of the game? Was a talkie version, with the option to play in windows 3.11 with portraits, interface and inventory items in higher resolution.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 AM   #16
The Quiet One

I really hate myself for this, but i used a walkthrough throughout most of the game. I ruined the experience for myself. But once i read the comic, that came with my boxed copy, and then read the novel, i decided to replay it again. This time no walkthrough and i had a deeper understanding of the story. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I definitely find that i enjoy adventure games even more when i work them out for myself.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #17
scapegoat sculptor

...yeah exactly Gazzoid!

...especially the vast difference between:

the lame and slightly bored feeling once you looked at a walktrough (maybe even caught a glimpse of the next f*** clue!!!) that your next step is going to work no matter what...

...and the eerie exhilarating feeling when eventually something is going to work out after hours and HOURS of almost going ingeniously insane!!!

kind of virtual masochism...
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #18

It's been so long now, but I remember I got stuck where
Spoiler:
you had to get clay by the river and then make a mold of the serpent bracelet. It just never occured to me to scoop up a handful of clay. I needed a hint to get going again
Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #19
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
It's been so long now, but I remember I got stuck where
Spoiler:
you had to get clay by the river and then make a mold of the serpent bracelet. It just never occured to me to scoop up a handful of clay. I needed a hint to get going again
That reminded me just how much I miss adventure games without highlighted hotspots. Sure, it took pixel hunts to levels we'll never experience again, but it was so much more rewarding to find something after scanning the environments for clues than to just get a "this is important!" popup when your cursor happens to pass over something of interest.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #20

I asked this exact same question. It just seems so impossible because you have to word it exactly. I don't see how I possibly could have gotten that without a walkthrough. I love walkthroughs. No point in me walking around the same locations a million times without making any progress. I like to trick myself into thinking my time is worth more than that. Still, I try to use them as little as possible, it definitely is funner to find the answer yourself.