You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most important part of an adventure game

View Poll Results: Most important feature that attracts you to a new adventure game?
Genre (Comedy, Thriller, Horror, Drama etc) 1 1.96%
The story or Plot (Quality of the plot/writing and how the story drives the game) 30 58.82%
The characters (Quality of the dialogue, persona and player/character interaction) 8 15.69%
Graphical style and/or animation style 1 1.96%
Voice acting (It has to have voice, and it has to be good) 0 0%
Control scheme (Point and Click, direct control etc) 2 3.92%
Puzzles (Well thought out puzzles) 7 13.73%
Exploration (Larger, non-linear world or environment) 2 3.92%
Other (please comment!) 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Pixelthis Big Cheese

Default Most important part of an adventure game

Hi everyone,

Time for my second poll.

What is the most important aspect of an adventure game to you?

This is a little weird - but please assume you have not played the game before, and you are seeing it for the first time - what are you most interested in?

I realise that a lot of the time it will be a combination of some (or all) of the elements below, but what would be number 1 on your list?

Regards,
Peter
Old 05-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Uhm... Maybe an actual poll will help... Amongst which elements are we supposed to choose?

Anyway, the precise answer to the question "What is the most important aspect of an adventure game to you?" is, for me, the WRITING
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Pixelthis Big Cheese

You're too fast!
The forum adds the question and then gets you to add the poll afterwards.
Feel free to add your answer now
Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #4

I voted The story or Plot (Quality of the writing and Dialog). More precisely, though, the answer is a combination between this one and Genre, mainly because I don't usually like comedic adventures (unless, of course, they have a top-notch writing, hence my answer)
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #5

Yup, another vote for The story or Plot (Quality of the writing and Dialog).

If you haven't got that in an adventure, regardless of sub-genre, you haven't really got anything, IMHO. Regardless of how pretty-looking, great-sounding, etc. a game might be, if there isn't an actual half-decent plot to not only draw me in but then keep me there, then I'm bound to lose interest. (Should add it doesn't have to be a huge amount of actual writing, per se, visible in the game.)

All of the above doesn't apply to non-adventure-type games at all though - I can spend hours blasting away at abstract shapes in something like Geometry Wars, just admiring the pretty, pretty colours...

So yes, in adventures, good writing is key for me, preferably in a strong, original voice. Everything else is icing on the hypothetical game-cake.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
J.H
Frak.

Found it hard to pick just one. I chose storyline but graphics is a very close second followed by voice acting.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #7

If I were to account for one factor standing out over another it would most likely be character. Telltale Game's numerous acquired franchises, LucasArts and Sierra classics, Discworld, not really a Myst fan, etc... there's a pattern here.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
Banned User

I have to say its the Characters. A story can be interesting, but without decent characters to tell the story, its nothing more than a text adventure with a narrator.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #9

To be honest, I was mentally grouping characters in with story/dialogue.

No such thing as dialogue without characters to speak it, and dialogue is the most defining aspect of the vast majority of characters. It's how we know what the character's character (heh) really is.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #10

The puzzles. But they should fit in to the story, and not be "add-ons" just to extend the game play.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #11

I chose control scheme, because my attention is drawn to 3rd person games but my second choice is genre - cartoon and children-resembling boxes I avoid...
Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #12
The Quiet One

Another one for The story or Plot (Quality of the writing and Dialog). The characters come in second followed by the Voice acting.

Right now i'm currently playing through The Beast Within and although the graphics are dated by todays standards, they really don't affect my enjoyment of the game what-so-ever (and they didn't the first time i played it either). And this is all thanks to the fantastic, immersive story/plot and the quality of the writing.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 05-11-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozwah View Post
To be honest, I was mentally grouping characters in with story/dialogue.
I must admit that I was doing the same thing. I saw the "Characters" category, of course, but - at least to me - the two of them (plot/writing and characters) are closely interwoven, because it's hard that a quality writing doesn't produce memorable characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Right now i'm currently playing through The Beast Within and although the graphics are dated by todays standards, they really don't affect my enjoyment of the game what-so-ever (and they didn't the first time i played it either). And this is all thanks to the fantastic, immersive story/plot and the quality of the writing.
... And, to deepen my previous thoughts, some incredibly vivid characters, once again thanks to the writing.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:12 AM   #14

Adventure games are all about story. That's basically the main difference between this particular genre and other genres and what makes it so unique to the fans.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #15

It's the story for me. If it's not interesting than I'm just going through the motions to get it over with.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 AM   #16

I've voted for the story and plot to be most important part of an adventure game; I do think, however, that characters, very well written, are also a must in a good adventure game.

If you don't have a decent plot of decent characters in an adventure game, you simply don't have anything to build your art and visual presentation around. (and by story and plot I also include the world setting) let alone the dialogue in the game.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #17

It's bit of a chicken and egg scenario isn't it? Do good characters make a good story or does a good story bring life to good characters?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #18
Easily amused

The most important thing for me are the puzzles - challenging, and lots of them.
The next would be control, as I only play mouse controlled games.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #19
I am the boss of you

Come on, this poll is rigged. Where are the puzzles? I love puzzles most of all. And you should also add exploration, many people love games like Riven because they like to explore strange new places.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #20

If Peter agrees, I can edit the poll and add puzzle and/or exploration.