You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #10: Gabriel Knight 3

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #41

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaata View Post
Not to blow my own horn here, but I got more points than that in chapter 1
It's possible. Better, extremely likely, especially if you - like I myself do all the times - anticipate some puzzle solutions by picking up certain objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
So far I managed to discover only two Eggs - Jean and also Emilio in the lobby. That was weird...It is not what I expected certainly. Good thing I didnt see it first time I played, it might have ruined the mood a bit.
That's exactly why I recommend to use them only if this isn't the player's first playthrough. They are nice and funny, but also quite diverse from the somber, dark atmosphere of the game. The game also features more subtle easter eggs (like in: additional details about the characters, their backstory and characters from the previous games, like Grandma Knight or Ludwig), but I'll detail them later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
Here´s my approach:

*I take notice of all the extra-actions you mention and make sure that I do them before the time block ends
*Then I play for myself till the block ends
*I check the score
*If I missed something I´ll have to try the block again
It sounds like a perfect approach!

Since it's not time yet of discussing in-depth the segment, I share with you how I played this game the first time, back in 1999 (I finished it in three days of non-stop playing). I made a chart of every character of the game and for each time block I scoured all the locations in search of them. When I found 'em all, I saved my game and then I talked to them, following an order I had in mind, from my least favorite character (whose name I'll reveal later) to my favorite ones. Then, I was free to dedicate myself to the exploration of the environments and only in the end I concentrated on the puzzles. I had an hell of a fun!

Plus, by the end of the game, I had filled twenty pages of notes, not to mention that I ordered at once three books on the same subject!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #42

[QUOTE=AndreaDraco83;507964]It's possible. Better, extremely likely, especially if you - like I myself do all the times - anticipate some puzzle solutions by picking up certain objects.

You are correct, or like in my case, remembering tilted squares before you really have to

Anyway, I'm having a great nostalgic time with one of the best games ever; ty for starting the playthrough!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #43

And one day I'm gonna learn how to quote properly:-)
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #44

Third block is finished !

Maximum Score
Thanks Andrea

@all the first time players

This game starts pretty slow, don´t let yourself get put off by the pace and the confusing puzzles (aka THE puzzle).
It really starts to get better as soon as you (minor spoiler till start of 3rd time block)
Spoiler:
get the bike
and later on it even becomes a work of genius, IMO
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
Maximum Score
Thanks Andrea
Yay!!!

Tomorrow I will post some interesting things to do in Rennes-le-Chateau during these first three blocks and, if I have the time to organize them, my thoughts about these blocks!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #46

I just realized that it´s been TEN FRIGGIN YEARS till I played GK3 for the first time.

I already had read a book about RLC in 1996 (I had already played GK1&2 at that time).
This one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomb-God-Unlocking-2000-year-old-Mystery/dp/0751519618/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242169482&sr=8-1

When I spotted the first GK3 preview which revealed the fact that the game is about this mystery I was hyped.
Thankfully the game did deliver
It was great that some theories of the above mentioned book seamlessly got woven into the story. Like...
Spoiler:
hidden geometry within Poussin´s paintings

I´m immensly looking forward to reading your remarks Andrea
Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #47

Wow you guys are fast! It's been a while since I played it the first time so it feels almost like it's my first, I don't remember much. So thank you Andrea I'll try to reach those totals, although I was thinking in doing like Tiocfaidh, I look before at the extras and make sure I do them before going to the next segment. So far so good, enjoying a lot like the first time but I have a problem with the Easter Eggs thing. I did what you said on the first post but then the console won't close so I can't press any button or keep playing because it's only entered on the console, so how do I close it after I enter the EGG part?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #48
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Ooh, count me in please! This will actually be my third time replaying this great game! One absolutely fantastic puzzle later in the game more than makes up for another lousy one... yes, I mean THAT one.

I actually have two versions of this game, the original big-box Sierra release (with the mini-comic), and the later budget re-release from Xplosiv. The Xplosiv version actually warns me that XP is detected on my system, and it may not function correctly. However, this version seemed to install without any problems, and so far it works perfectly, no resolution problems either! (Hurray! )

I'll try to finish the third time block in a few days. Maybe this time, I can get a few pointers on how to get all the points for a certain time block later on. (It's the only point in the game which has prevented me from achieving a full score! )

(Are you glad the mystery of the painting of the woman with the red umbrella is solved, Andrea? )

Last edited by Trunkyo; 05-12-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #49
Senior *female* member

Quote:
(Are you glad the mystery of the painting of the woman with the red umbrella is solved, Andrea? )
It's solved, Andrea? I missed that. So, who's the painter.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #50
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

The painter was Federico Zandomeneghi, an Italian Impressionist, and the painting is called Signora nel prato (Woman in the field). I can't believe it took months for someone to stumble upon it in an Impressionist artbook!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by danigar View Post
so how do I close it after I enter the EGG part?

You can press Ctrl Shift and ` again and it will disappear.

BTW I really did not realize what fun it was to participate in a massive online game The third time block is completed on my side too, as there are still people who are just starting I consider replaying it, this time in the manner Tiocfaidh suggested.

Last edited by KasiaD; 05-12-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:25 AM   #52

Just finished third block!
Sadly, I did not recieve "full score" but enjoyed "being" Gabe again. Looking forward to next part!
Skaata
Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 AM   #53

Before posting my impressions about this first segment, I want to share some interesting things to do and/or examine, while in Rennes-le-Chateau, during these first three blocks, coupled with some facts that are often overlooked. Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned is really one of those adventures where examining everything can lead not only to sarcastic remarks and wisecracks, but also insightful notes about the characters, their past and their previous adventures.

I will start from some obvious things:

1) As you may have noticed every character has his own schedule. For example, during the first time block, Madeleine Buthane is in the hotel's parking lot and she will be there until 12 PM. Nevertheless, Emilio Baza is scripted to follow Gabriel around. Have you noticed that he enters the phone room to eavesdrop Gabriel's conversation with Prince James? If you disable the cinematic cutscene, you will be able to see him entering the room, casting a stealthy glance at Gabe and then closing the curtains of the nearest phone boot.

2) Have you noticed that both the "Sins of the Fathers" and "The Beast Within" novels are advertised in the Book Shop, alongside a photo of Jane Jensen? Gabriel has a funny thing to say about them!

3) Gabriel can also think about the chicken strolling in the plaza, and this reminds him of what happened in New Orleans with the Voodoo Murders (exactly, Sins of the Fathers, beginning of Day Six. The couplet accompanying this day - And then the night became as day, I glimpsed nature's reddest claw!/ The face of fear looked back at me as I gazed into the maw... - will be later echoed in this game)

And now for some less obvious things:

4) As soon as Gabriel can enter the rental shop, upon examining the pieces of wood scattered on the floor, Gabriel unintentionally (and sarcastically) foresees an important plot point that will be revealed later on.

5) If you examine carefully the Stations of the Cross in the Church, Gabriel will reveal something about his infancy, his catholic education (you can also try examining the upper window of Villa Bethania), his grandmother. Also, examine the stained glasses, hear the comments and - as soon as Grace becomes a playable character - come back and hear her comment.

6) In the church, and only in the second time block, upon looking at the confessional booth, Gabriel will say something about his first case, the Voodoo Murders.

7) In the church, try stealing the charity money and you'll discover that Gabriel isn't as ruthless as he may seem.

8) Look at Madeleine at Coume Sourde in the third block and you'll discover that Gabriel is as sleazy as he seems.

9) Look at the upper part of the Tour Magdala while on top of it, for a subtle nod toward The Beast Within

10) Examine the painting behind Jean in the Hotel Lobby (both with Gabriel and, as soon as you can, with Grace)

11) Amongst the tombstones in the graveyard, there is one of them which sport the name of a famous rock-star. Did you spotted it?

And now some "speculations":

12) In the Couiza station, there is a tattered piece of paper on the floor. Gabriel can pick it up, but then throws it away. Red herring?

13) Do you know who is the blond figure in one of the painting in the museum? Gabriel says "Hey, he kinda look like me. Except for the dress part".

Also, you may be interested in the whereabouts of the supporting characters in each chapter. Here is the actor setup for each time block, thanks to the Pendulum of Life.

10 AM - 12 PM
Spoiler:
• Mosely is in the hotel dining room.
• Emilio is in the hotel lounge, but will wander between lounge and the street outside the hotel based on where Gabriel is.
• Buthane is in the hotel parking area.
• Lady Howard and Estelle are in the museum.
• The Abbé is in his house behind the church.
• Buchelli and Wilkes are in their hotel rooms.
• Jean the desk clerk is at the desk in the Hotel lobby and will be until 6 p.m.
• M. Girard, the museum lady, is in the Museum and will be until it closes at 6 p.m.

12 PM - 14 PM
Spoiler:
• Mosely is in his hotel room (but he won’t answer the door)
• Emilio, Lady Howard, and Estelle are upstairs, moving their belongings in a room exchange. After that, they’ll be in their rooms until the mid-time block change.
• Buthane and Wilkes are eating lunch in the hotel dining room
• The Abbé is in the church
• Buchelli is in the church

Mid-time block change:

• Mosely is in his hotel room
• Emilio is in his room (Jane Jensen's original design document mentions that he should have been at the Tour Magdala)
• Lady Howard and Estelle are in the dinning room
• Wilkes is in his room
• The Abbé is in the church
• Buchelli walks from the Church to the dining room (you can follow him)
• Buthane is offstage (She is already driving in the valley)

14 PM - 16 PM
Spoiler:
• Wilkes drives out of town. He’ll then appear at L’Ermitage.
• Buchelli is at Tour Magdala
• Lady Howard and Estelle are in the hotel lobby
• Buthane is at Coume-Sourde.
• Mosely is in his room until Gabriel goes to rent a moped. After Gabriel rents the moped and leaves town, Mosely will drive his moped out of town and will simply circle the valley.
• Emilio is in his room.
• The Abbé is in house, spraying plants (Jane Jensen's original design document mentions that he should have been in the Church)
• Larry Chester is in his house

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 05-14-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:48 AM   #54

Points 4, 9, 11 and 12 are the ones I have to check out....

As to question 13, is it the same person who is depicted in castle Rittersburg, on the coloured glass? It is my guess purely...

Spoiler:
George the angel D ?

My bow to you AndreaDraco83 for all the input and insight into the game.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 AM   #55
The Quiet One

To hell with it, i've decided to replay the game again and join the community playthrough. I want to check out the easter eggs and obtain the full score.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #56

Quote:
As to question 13, is it the same person who is depicted in castle Rittersburg, on the coloured glass? It is my guess purely...
The painting is a part of William Morris' The Orchard, the Summer to be precise (and many thanks to BBP from the Gabriel Knight Campaign Forum** for the finding). Many say that the figure in the Summer is inspired by the Archangel Gabriel.

Quote:
My bow to you AndreaDraco83 for all the input and insight into the game.
It's a pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
To hell with it, i've decided to replay the game again and join the community playthrough. I want to check out the easter eggs and obtain the full score.
Glad to hear that!

** For those of you who are interested in the paintings found around Gabriel Knight 3, the precious BBP has a website where you can find (the links are atop of the main page) two galleries with all the paintings, their titles, their artists and so on.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #57
The Quiet One

Okay, i've just done the first time block and got the 36 points. I'll probably do the second time block later or tomorrow.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Okay, i've just done the first time block and got the 36 points. I'll probably do the second time block later or tomorrow.
Good!

Later today I'll post my thoughts about the first three blocks, but please - those of you who already finished the segment - do post your comments: I'm dying to read your opinions!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #59

OK, here we go:

First of all, the intro music is magnificent !!!
The gentle keyboard work paired with dynamic acoustic guitar strumming sugercoated with an unbelievably beautiful piano melody. *Sigh* Robert Holmes - you rock my world !

Day 1, 10 AM - 12 PM

The game´s start is slow, and that´s the only way how you could start a game like Gabriel Knight.
It plays like a cleverly structured theater play. The Charaters get introduced when they should be, you get tidbits information.
Just enough to get intrigued, without giving away too much details.

This block is perfect to get comfortable with the unconventional controls.
I´m not the biggest fan of the game´s interface but it´s certainly unique and it kinda grew on me.

Textures could be more detailed (hey, it´s 1999) and I really miss more NPC´s.
It would have been nice to include at least a handful of story-unrelated characters you are not allowed to talk or rather interact with,
who just walk around the village (old woman, kids, postal worker, carpenter whatever)
or remain in stationary positions (sitting at the fountain, on steps, praying/mourning at a grave).
Nevertheless, Rennes-le-Chateau is fun to explore.

Day 1, 12 PM - 14 PM

I love that there´s so much going on. It´s easy to miss some actions but the time block design gives you the chance
to replay several chapters just to look for what you might have missed.

The church is introduced here and it´s hard to believe that this place actually exists in the real world.
Something out of the ordinary must have happened to Sauniere that encouraged him to design it the way he did.
I do not believe in all the conspiracy theories, but there are some facts you can´t dismiss.
I had a blast exploring every single hotspot, exhausting every possible option/interaction

Day 1, 14 PM - 16 PM

I have mixed feelings about this part of the game.
On the one hand it is the part where the game world opens up for you, which gives you, the gamer, an immense motivational boost.
On the other hand it´s pretty painful to get there You really have to work hard to get your motorbike.
It´s not the infamous cat puzzle alone which can drive you crazy, it is the passport acquisition beforehand that taxed my patience.
It cannot get more contrived than that people.
And THANKFULLY, if memory serves me right, it doesn´t !

So, that´s it for now.

Thanks to the museum we got plenty historical background info on the region.
But Gabriel still steps in the dark. What is the mystery of RLC ?
The holy grail, a treasure of biblical proportions ?
And what about Mary Magdalene ?

Oh, btw, till now I didn´t notice that some graphical elements on this very site are taken from the Languedoc map (look cosely)

Last edited by Tiocfaidh; 05-13-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #60

I will post more comments tomorrow when I have more time, but first two comments that come to my mind:

One is Gabe is a real jerk for abusing Mosley... Or am I taking it too seriously? But still in my opinion friends do not insult each other (or one another here) like this.

The other comment is: I love the dialogues. They are lively and sound real - which I more and more appreciate after playing many contemporary games.