You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 3 cards to midnight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #1

Default 3 cards to midnight

OMG this game is rubbish!!! i was so surprised as i hadnt read much about it but it featured well on the hype-o-meter so i was really eager to play it. sadly its just yet another casual game where you need to find things in a scene. only the slightest change from the typical HOG games i have played, in that you need to find items that connect to words you are given ie. BAD and you will need to find things like blood (badblood supposedly) or BLACK, a spider (blackwidow?!? i know!!!). The story seems to be interesting although i skipped most of it in a huff after discovering the gameplay style lol. also its SHORT i played it through in around 3 hours which kinda sucks considering the game has been awaited for ages. also highly surprising seeing as big fish pumps out one of these at least every week. anyway after being duped by csi ny i thought i would post this for any unsuspecting adventure gamers that like me stupidly dont read reviews lol. also soz for the review but there really aint much else to say for this game...big finish?? big fish me thinks.
long days and pleasant nights xx
Old 05-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #2

True, the game is not a classical adventure; it's simply a search and find with a unique twist that makes it more challenging. The review that you can read on this site gives a pretty good explanation of the game. I like the game, but it's not going to be for everyone, so make sure you read the review!

The biggest flaw, even for people who enjoy these type of games, is that sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what an object is, they can be blurry and really hard to make out.

The game is fun and the puzzles challenging, especially if you put it on the hardest mode.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, unlike most of these type of games I've play there's no timer! So you can enjoy the game is leisure!

Last edited by Puzzler; 05-07-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #3

After reading the review I'm dying to play this game. Can anyone confirm how big the download is (in megabytes)?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #4

If you skipped the story, you really cheated yourself. Also I suspect you used a lot of hints and skipped puzzles if you beat it in 3 hours.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't the next Pandora Directive or anything, but as casual puzzle games go, it's enjoyable.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
If you skipped the story, you really cheated yourself. Also I suspect you used a lot of hints and skipped puzzles if you beat it in 3 hours.
no i really didnt use many hints although my 7 year old daughter was on hand to help lol. i guess even though this game is casual i expected a little more, as a lot of casual games are bringing quite a lot to the table at the moment, mystery case files return to ravenhurst, legend of crystal valley and nancy drew dossier just to name a few have all imho provided much more gameplay and tbh i didnt have to wait for any of them where as 3 cards seems to have been on the hype-o-meter for ages. i didnt even know that casual games could get a ranking?!? xx
Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
After reading the review I'm dying to play this game. Can anyone confirm how big the download is (in megabytes)?
200mb or so really tiny
Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #7

Awesome. Thanks loobylou.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobylou26 View Post
I didn't even know that casual games could get a ranking?!? xx
As I explained in the review, I strongly think that liquidate 3 Cards to Midnight like a plain and simple Hidden Object Game is a serious understatement. There is a lot of meat on the bone, here, and the story is far more strong and developed than almost any full-fledged adventures I played in the last two years. If you really skipped through the story, being this, by definition of its authors, a "Story Game", then I guess you really missed the point of the game.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

Anyone else finding this game very buggy? I can't even see the puzzle at the end of chapter two (black screen), many times voice clips overlap, and once it skipped a puzzle when I clicked "reset"!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
Anyone else finding this game very buggy? I can't even see the puzzle at the end of chapter two (black screen), many times voice clips overlap, and once it skipped a puzzle when I clicked "reset"!
The first two bugs that you mention never occurred to me, whilst it happened to me one time that a puzzle skipped by pressing the space bar.

For the puzzle, try and access it from the Summary Screen of the chapter.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:58 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
For the puzzle, try and access it from the Summary Screen of the chapter.
Thanks, but tried that: black screen.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #12

Uhm... This is really strange. Have you tried setting up another Player?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #13
Part-time Optimist

I can't wait to play it. I hope they actually do end up distributing on Big Fish so that tons of people get to see this game. Although it will probably be a while if there really are these bugs in it.

Playing Now: Shadow of Destiny
Recently Finished: Emerald City Confidential,Dead Reefs
Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
As I explained in the review, I strongly think that liquidate 3 Cards to Midnight like a plain and simple Hidden Object Game is a serious understatement.
That might be, but I also think trying to sell it as an adventure game is a disservice to the game as well. I agreed with your review by and large, but I also think it's important to caution people not to expect the wrong thing. This is a casual game with very limited, repetitive gameplay that is NOT an adventure game, even if it has a story most adventures would be proud of.

It's not the next Tex Murphy. It's a game made on a zero budget by a bunch of people who have other jobs in the industry in their spare time. It's well worth the $20 but you need to approach it with the right expectations.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #15

Quote:
That might be, but I also think trying to sell it as an adventure game is a disservice to the game as well. I agreed with your review by and large, but I also think it's important to caution people not to expect the wrong thing.
Well, it says so in the teaser line, where 3CM is addressed like a casual-adventure hybrid.

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 05-08-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
Hopeful skeptic

The review spells out clear as day where it falls on genre lines. In fact, all of our 3CM coverage makes it abundantly clear what kind of game it is. If people have the wrong expectations after all that, they just aren't reading it.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Well, it says so in the teaser line, where 3CM is addressed like a casual-adventure hybrid.
hybrid? not in my opinion. this is pure casual, find the objects listed, complete/skip small puzzle, watch cut scene repeat. i could consider the games i mentioned earlier (return to ravenhurst, crystal valley etc) hybrids. however if we are to consider this a hybrid then shouldnt all HOGs be considered the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
The review spells out clear as day where it falls on genre lines. In fact, all of our 3CM coverage makes it abundantly clear what kind of game it is. If people have the wrong expectations after all that, they just aren't reading it.
correct and to my shame i didnt read the review as in my earlier posts i just kept seeing the game on the hype-o-meter and silly me thought that casual games were'nt listed on it.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #18

Quote:
hybrid? not in my opinion. this is pure casual, find the objects listed, complete/skip small puzzle, watch cut scene repeat. i could consider the games i mentioned earlier (return to ravenhurst, crystal valley etc) hybrids. however if we are to consider this a hybrid then shouldnt all HOGs be considered the same?
I agree. I think it's a casual game that will appeal to adventure game fans more than other similar games because of the story and some good puzzles (Did anyone beat that Cipher one by the way? That was hard as hell) but that's different than saying it will appeal to anyone looking for an adventure game.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #19

Quote:

correct and to my shame i didnt read the review as in my earlier posts i just kept seeing the game on the hype-o-meter and silly me thought that casual games were'nt listed on it.
Quote:
I agree. I think it's a casual game that will appeal to adventure game fans more than other similar games because of the story and some good puzzles (Did anyone beat that Cipher one by the way? That was hard as hell) but that's different than saying it will appeal to anyone looking for an adventure game.
i didnt beat it although i did notice that the thingies u turned were slightly different colours on each side
Old 05-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #20
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
... that's different than saying it will appeal to anyone looking for an adventure game.
So where have you heard that being said? Certainly not here.

People need to remember that "casual games" are not a genre, but a general term that includes all kinds of genres. The fact that a game is more casual doesn't mean it can't be considered at least partly an adventure, just one with a more steamlined approach. Some may consider 3CM to belong squarely in the hidden object category, but we think it's more than that. I admit, 3CM is about as far as we'd want to stretch in terms of cross-genre stuff. But again, it's not like we haven't fully explained what to expect. Some may want to argue labels, but hey, that's why we write the articles.