You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Weirdest way you've solved an Adventure game puzzle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
How am I not myself?

Default Weirdest way you've solved an Adventure game puzzle?

What is the weirdest way you've ever solved an adventure game puzzle?

The weirdest way I've ever solved a puzzle was in the Neverhood. In the mouse guiding puzzle, I licked little pieces of paper and stuck them to the screen, over the doors that I had already gone through, so that I knew which ones I hadn't gone through, so I could get the cheese. I had to clean my monitor afterwards.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:57 PM   #2
Squeaky

Ha!

It may not be the weirdest, but the lamest way I've solved a puzzle (and I've seen some others post this on the longest you've been stuck... thread) was in the Selenitic Age on Myst with the underground railcar thingy. I found every freakin' dead end and mapped out the entire network on a piece of paper. I felt pretty stupid when I found out the solution. It was nice to find out that others have done the same thing though.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:09 AM   #3
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Like simpson's, this falls into the "lamest" rather than the "weirdest" category. When Fate of Atlantis came out, my friend and I played through it together (that was over ten years ago...GEEZ), and as I recall we'd gotten to the end without TOO many big puzzle-related delays. However, we just couldn't get the final stone circle thing puzzle, one of those deals where you have to line up the various elemental stones according to a clue. We looked in the Lost Dialogues, and checked our notes from previous such puzzles, but nothing worked. As we realized (much) later,
Spoiler:
the solution is carved into a bloody wall that we must have walked by a hundred times.
Of course, we didn't realize this so we literally sat there with the stone discs trying every single permutation until we got the right one. I believe it took us a few days until we finally got it and were able to beat the game.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright

Last edited by remixor; 03-14-2004 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:29 AM   #4

Your spoilers have ruined the game for everyone.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:38 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Weird. I put spoiler tags in, but they didn't parse for some reason. I just edited it without changing anything, and now it works.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-14-2004, 02:39 AM   #6

I don't think that's even a spoiler anyway. (I think you spelt the first spoiler thing wrong. )
Old 03-14-2004, 04:58 AM   #7
Dr Uberman

I would tell you but it's too weird and I might get a rep.

Ok.

I used a walkthrough in Indy FOA.

Old 03-14-2004, 05:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Order
The weirdest way I've ever solved a puzzle was in the Neverhood. In the mouse guiding puzzle, I licked little pieces of paper and stuck them to the screen, over the doors that I had already gone through, so that I knew which ones I hadn't gone through, so I could get the cheese. I had to clean my monitor afterwards.
Gee, I solved that puzzle the very same way, except I only made notes on a piece of paper. And later I read in a walkthrough that the mouse ALWAYS TURNS IN THE DIRECTION YOU HAVE TO GO!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:21 AM   #9
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Like simpson's, this falls into the "lamest" rather than the "weirdest" category. When Fate of Atlantis came out, my friend and I played through it together [blah blah blah]
Pfft, Fate of Atlantis. Different clues from the Lost Dialogue came up each time you played through. There were a few possible ones that made no sense - well, they seemed to make perfect sense, but when you actually tried the (obvious!) answers they didn't work. Anyway, I ended up having to solve them by trying every possible permutation, and as I was playing on the Amiga this took a long time - probably over 30 seconds for each attempt, because the 'stone disc' screen took so long to appear and disappear. I was quite glad that when I actually did find the solutions by a proces of elimination, it still didn't make any seem to have any obvious relation to what the Lost Dialogue said - so whether it was a bug or something, I don't know...

Also! Monkey Island 2! Not really cheatery, but I did pause the game as I passed through Rum Rogers' basement thing, because I knew there must be something of consequence in there. However, I was foiled because those LucasArts bastards
Spoiler:
placed the map RIGHT UNDER where the "Game paused..." caption came up!
That must have been a deliberate move by them... very cunning!
Old 03-14-2004, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
Ha!

It may not be the weirdest, but the lamest way I've solved a puzzle (and I've seen some others post this on the longest you've been stuck... thread) was in the Selenitic Age on Myst with the underground railcar thingy. I found every freakin' dead end and mapped out the entire network on a piece of paper. I felt pretty stupid when I found out the solution. It was nice to find out that others have done the same thing though.
Welcome to the club...
Old 03-14-2004, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Pfft, Fate of Atlantis. Different clues from the Lost Dialogue came up each time you played through. There were a few possible ones that made no sense - well, they seemed to make perfect sense, but when you actually tried the (obvious!) answers they didn't work. Anyway, I ended up having to solve them by trying every possible permutation, and as I was playing on the Amiga this took a long time - probably over 30 seconds for each attempt, because the 'stone disc' screen took so long to appear and disappear. I was quite glad that when I actually did find the solutions by a proces of elimination, it still didn't make any seem to have any obvious relation to what the Lost Dialogue said - so whether it was a bug or something, I don't know...
Well, we didn't really have any problems with the previous stone disc puzzles, the ones that took clues from the Lost Dialogues. Sometimes it took a few tries to get the meaning, but it never took very long. The only time we really had trouble was that time at the end where we couldn't even find the CLUE, much less interpret it correctly.

Old 03-15-2004, 08:51 AM   #12
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Well...
- in first Kyrandia I draw map of the labyrinth(and in the end didn't explore the cave with the key so glad I was to get out)

- in Simon 3d I draw a point on the monitor to knom where will that ioio thing hit.(in the amusment park)

- in MI3 I just tried every permutation of pictures to get the map.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #13
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

My English was horrible back then and for some reason the alignment as I gathered from the Lost Dialogues of Plato never worked, so I went through all the stone doors by trial and error (except remixor's, that one I figured out).

It is not a very good key mechanism, after all, when ANYONE can open the damn door through systematic trial and error.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Order
What is the weirdest way you've ever solved an adventure game puzzle?

For longest journey in relation to the triangle stones underwater, I made those triangular blocks with paper and positioned them in every combination and and tried all of them... Oddly enough it ended up being like the 2nd to last combination!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:58 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to SOG-Karimi Send a message via MSN to SOG-Karimi Send a message via Yahoo to SOG-Karimi
Default Hmm

The weirdest way ? Well in Grim Fandango you have to use the forklift to open the elevator right ?

Well i was playing the game 3 years or more after it was released , maybe 5 so it was going so fast i couldn't get the forklift in time. I opened up a ton of sites and programs so that the game was slower and then i used the forklift !
Old 03-16-2004, 10:08 AM   #16
LA-S-LE

In Feeble Files the puzzle where you have to mix different potions or smth like that in a laboratory. I spent a lot of time trying to make out the combination, combining different potions, even found a logic way, though quite hard, and, after solving the puzzle, read after a while in the solution (solving the code puzzle - another puzzle I spend a lot of time on) that all the nessesary information on the potion is listed in your personal log (don't remember its name exactly).
Old 03-16-2004, 10:13 AM   #17
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
Oddly enough it ended up being like the 2nd to last combination!
I feel ya on that one, I think we've all gone through the 'try every item on everything else' technique.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:54 PM   #18
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Weirdest...hmmm....I guess that would be in Zork Nemesis, at the very beginning, the door-knocker/lever puzzle. My hand slipped on the mouse, and I solved it by accident.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:54 AM   #19
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Well, this isn't too weird, but OK...

While a Spanish adventure from Mortadelo y Filemon, I got stuck, so I started to randomly click on everything with every item...

At my try I just used an item with a person and it worked!

This one is more embarrasing than weird...

-When playing a puzzle/riddle game they asked me the name of virtue, some may even remember me asking for help in the forum...

Well, it turns out it has a longer intro than I thought, and the INTRO had the answers!!!

I'm still stuck in the final challenge where I must click on the monsters parietal and patella, and for some strange reason, clicking on the head and knee does not work....

Star Fox Adventures is an Action/RPG, but the solution I found to a puzzle IS note-worthy...

There is a test in a temple where I must mash the buttons to keep the indicator in the middle of the bar... But the game distract you with mosnters and weird and crazy stuff...

So I put a blanket over the screen to cover all but the bar....