You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Cancelled Space Quest Screens/Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #1

Default Cancelled Space Quest Screens/Video

Here's a link to some media from the canceled Space Quest reboot by Escape Factory. It was canceled back in 2002, and for good reason from the looks of it. Like LSL: MCL, they went for a platformer, but the SQ video makes LSL: MCL look like a true adventure game in comparison.

This is the first time any screenshots or video have surfaced from the project, as prior there was only a few pieces of concept art floating around. In the end, it shows they really had no idea what made the Quest series so special in the first place.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Banned User

Thats not Space Quest. Its another project which shared the same name. It has nothing to do with Sierra Online's series.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #3

No, this game was meant to continue the Space Quest series, albeit in a completely different direction. Check out this link for a bit of background on the project. It was being developed by Escape Factory and was funded by Sierra. This just happens to be the first time any real media was released from the game as it was scrapped about a year into development.

Also, if you watch the video on the site, the character refers to himself as Roger Wilco. There's no doubt this was an extension of Sierra's Space Quest series, although the title, the use of plungers to scale walls, and Roger himself seem to be the only tenuous threads that connect them.

Last edited by bbk5; 04-06-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

"Unfortunately, funding was cut and this great little game hadn't shipped"

lol, my favorite quote from that page..."great"? He looks like Larry Loveage!! I wish they would stop "updating" the classics. Between the depressing beheadings nd disembowelings in Mask of Eternity, the various f-bombs and mini games in MCL, and now this travesty, it feels like they want to destroy any last remnants of positive feelings I had for Sierra.

Oh, and the one bit of enjoyment I got from that video was seeing that Anti-Roger get blown up, and watching his legs runs around for a second or two without his torso. THAT version of Roger Wilco deserved that. This at least helped me decide not to buy Box Office Bust, the first time that's ever happened with a LSL game. Just tired of getting suckered by these companies.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
iAdventurer

From Wikipedia (FWIW):

Quote:
Space Quest was being developed by Escape Factory for the Microsoft Xbox video game console. The game was planned as a departure from the main Space Quest series, starring a new character named "Wilger". Though it would have maintained a comedic theme in space, no plan was made to connect it to the original series. It was cancelled around 2003.
More information can be found at the Space Quest 7 and Escape Factory articles on SpaceQuest.net
It sounds like a game most posters here would not have enjoyed.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #6

It looks like it could've been a fun little platformer. Of course, if they removed the Space Quest references and released as its own game. Seriously, who did they think would be attracted to the Space Quest brand with this game? Those of us old enough to have played the SQ series when first released would have been annoyed, and the target audience for the game (Pre-teens and early teens from the look of it) would not know what SQ was. Maybe that's why it was canceled? Though, from that trailer, it looks like all references to the SQ universe could have been removed in about one full day of work, haha.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #7

SWEET JUMPING J...(ahem)

Reminds me of Psychonauts.

Yeah, maybe if they removed all SQ references.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

I know not of this Space Quest for which you speak

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Banned User

Actually Its looks bad even for a game without SQ references. Psychonauts hat a far better direction.

Based on those screens, it looks absolutely disgusting.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
LA-S-LE

well it still looks more fun than the latest Larry game, which is so bad that I doubt anything could beat it in the "ruin the classics" contest.