You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Blackwell Convergence

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #1

Default The Blackwell Convergence

Anybody have an actual release date for this game? I'm going to be going away for awhile on April 14th and I may not have access to a PC for quite some time. This is what I get for trying to make my mother happy and overestimating the Army's need for fresh bodies. Either way I'm hoping this game comes out before I ship out.

BTW: I believe that the "motherly" ghost in Unbound suits my mother to a T.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

Hye Brim. No, I haven't heard about when it will come out, especially since Dave was working on ECC. I really want to play the 1st games in this series, though.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 03-14-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I really want to play the 1st games in this serious, though.
After having played ECC I really would like to play the Blackwell games. Today I checked out the demo for the Blackwell Legacy and I think it's a game in my taste.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

Hi Brimstone! Now that ECC is done I am back to work on Convergence. I don't want to give an official release date yet, but I'm optimistic that you'll see the game before the summer.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #5

Oh the Blackwell series is awsome. Ever see the show Ghost Whisperer? It's basically just like that. I love that show and the games really work that angle well. As for me getting to play part 3, I guess I'll have to wait untill after I get out of basic.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Schattenjäger

I played Blackwell Legacy and Unbound very recently ,completely loved them both and it´s awesome that The Blackwell Convergence isn´t far away. The soul /great writing and captivating atmosphere, the Blackwell games have to offer, are definetely things where a lot of the big adventureproductions could learn something.
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 07-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #7

Hurray, Blackwell Convergence is available from WadjetEyeGames.com now!
Just started it and it looks wonderfull!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #8

Glad it's finally out! Downloading right now. To me, Dave Gilbert is the Woody Allen of adventure games -- that is, his Blackwell saga is like his own love letter to New York City (the Annie Hall of supernatural storytelling? Maaaybe not). Except darker.

Until the economy recovers, the media job market rebounds a bit and offers more positions, and I can move from Chicago to NYC, I'll have to play these to enjoy that Manhattan feel. But I'd play them anyways for their classic, classy adventure feel
Old 07-24-2009, 02:08 AM   #9

Playing two games for the moment, Blackwell Convergence and Monkey Island special edition. Both are adventuregames of the highest standard.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:07 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
Glad it's finally out! Downloading right now. To me, Dave Gilbert is the Woody Allen of adventure games -- that is, his Blackwell saga is like his own love letter to New York City (the Annie Hall of supernatural storytelling? Maaaybe not). Except darker.
I'm short, wear glasses, and neurotic. If I red hair, I'd totally be Woody Allen.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:07 AM   #11

How long is it? Is it similar to the previews games in length?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #12

Just finished it after about four, five hours (had the day off work). Absolutely loved it. Shorter than expected (I thought Dave said it would be much longer than the previous two), and I was sad to not see the notebook-phrase-association thing that was in Unbound, but the story was woven much more tightly and managed to bring in the previous two games. Won't give anything away, but the choice of location for the meeting place on the "other plane" toward the end felt pretty original and was an excellent choice by Gilbert. Very satisfied with the graphics, too.

The game wasn't overly challenging, either. Very logical. After two games with Rosangela, Lauren and Joey, as well as their unique personalities and "real-ness," I felt myself thinking, "What would Rosangela normally do in a situation like this?" And naturally, it was normally the right response to the puzzle at hand. Gilbert's done a good job creating his own little world here with unique characters and personalities. (Even incorporating a small reference to The Shivah at one point!) Definitely worth the money. Dave's got a good year going. First Emerald City, now the third Blackwell. What's next?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
J.H
Frak.

The game is great really impressed I can't fault it.

One thing I noticed though, the demo is the old style artwork, maybe updating the demo would entice even more customers .
Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #14

I finished Blackwell convergence yesterday and I really felt the need to express here how great this game is. Dave Gilbert did an amazing job I really hope every success for his company so he'll be able to create more adventure games.

The graphics are amazing even if there are 320x200. The puzzles are nice even if they could be a little more challenging at times. The inventory system seems really underused. The music is awesome and fitting. I was really impressed by the voice acting something the vast majority of adventure games can't seem to be able to do right. The user interface is really simple and user friendly, the way all point'n'click adventures should be.

You can see while playing the game (and even more while listening to the commentary) that Dave Gilbert has a great understanding of how an adventure game should be and how the gameplay should be designed so it won't frustrate the player. In my opinion it's really important when designing a game to be able to imagine how the player will react and respond to certain situations and the decisions you make while you design it. Dave Gilbert has done an amazing job in that department.

And of course there's the writing which is top notch. Probably Dave Gilbert's strongest point. Really interesting story, great dialogue and character development.

I've also played all the previous blackwell games and although I was really impressed and satisfied with all of them I can clearly see that there's an improvement with each title and I really hope Dave continues that way.

I really hate to see this game ignored by adventure gamers because of the lo res graphics or because they assume that it's an "indie" production. It may seem like an "indie" production in some aspects in theory but I can assure you that it's a really professional job that makes A LOT of bigger budget commercial games seem like they've been made by amateurs.