Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Recommend a quiet game, please (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/24226-recommend-quiet-game-please.html)

Mohlin 03-13-2009 05:44 AM

Recommend a quiet game, please

I have just finished Tunguska (hated it), Still Life and (soon) Black Mirror. But I have a problem with theese 3rd person games. It's too much talk. You have to talk to everyone over and over, and if there is something to read, the carachter reads it for you "Oh, here is a newspaper article that says that....".

You know, I CAN read!! It is also a problem that you have to sit there and listen to this monolouge, and that can be a problem if the cats suddely jumps on the table, or the husband wants to talk about whats for dinner tonight. Then you miss it and have to start over. If possible. In Black mirror you often only had one shot.

So any games that are quiet?
I love some of the Myst games (not Riven), Dark Fall 1- 2, The Lost Crown (just a little talk) and Barrow Hill. Rhriannon was sort of ok. At least no talking.

Anyone with the same problem?

Lucien21 03-13-2009 05:50 AM

You should try "The Longest Journey" no talking in that one :devil:

Personally I don't have a problem with talking in adventure games. Talking is after all one of the primary methods of communication in humans.

Fantasysci5 03-13-2009 05:55 AM

I usually like talking, as it gives lots of details. The Longest Journey has a bunch of talking. :P lol You do like the games that I like, though. :) I can't really think of any without too much talking, although if you like the kind of dark mood, "Blackstone Chronicles", "Sanitarium", etc. Sorry I can't help more...:)

KasiaD 03-13-2009 06:53 AM

I share no problems of similar nature as so far I haven't obtained any husband or cat.

ukpetd 03-13-2009 07:07 AM

Try Alida or the Rhem series. No talking in any of them. I liked Alida but not the Rhem series. I found navigating in Rhem too exhausting (got lost too frequently).

HandsFree 03-13-2009 07:14 AM

Most puzzle oriented games aren't very talky. I thought Aura 1 & 2 were very good, but not everyone agrees. :)
Did you try Scratches or Beyond the Spirit's Eye?

therabidfrog 03-13-2009 07:56 AM

Same problem I'm having with Syberia II. Most of the puzzles can only be solved so far by running back and forth talking to the same three people over and over again. Not to mention the annoying third person convention of spending half your game watching the character walk from screen to screen.

The zork games don't have much talking, but you'll need and older computer or dosbox. Scratches would work well if you liked Dark Fall and Barowhill. It involves some of the same people. Other wise play an FPS. No talk only shoot! ;)

courderoy guy 03-13-2009 09:05 AM

I'd recommend Scratches! Great spooky story, awesome environment, only major dialogue comes over the phone, which does happen occasionally, but not all the time.

Fien 03-13-2009 10:19 AM

Lots of older, more or less "quiet" 1st person adventures/puzzle games around...

Obsidian (a must play) - Comer - Safecracker - Spycraft - Timelapse

Spooky:
Amber - Morpheus - Zork Nemesis - Dark Eye (Poe's stories) - Drowned God - Golden Gate - Temujin

Humorous:
Zork Grand Inquisitor - Neverhood (a must play) - Space Bar (well... it's not a real quiet bar)

Jadefalcon 03-13-2009 10:20 AM

Blade Runner has talking, but really not that much of it.

tobacos 03-13-2009 02:51 PM

I also have to go with Neverhood theres NO talking at all.
and its amazing Adventure i must add.

tabacco 03-13-2009 02:55 PM

Loom :)

ggreen737 03-13-2009 08:40 PM

Penumbra games!

Just you and creepy, plus a fun physics aspect and a good bit of reading.

Ariel Type 03-13-2009 11:21 PM

From the recent experience: Goblins series by Coktel Vision. No talking, just mumbling) Neverhood is a good choice. Also a little game Full Pipe, inspired by both of them. You can get it on Steam - no talking at all.
And early Legend games (TimeQuest, Eric the Unready, Gateway) of course - lots and lots of reading and no talking (no voice acting for that matter).

tsa 03-13-2009 11:59 PM

The games by MDNA. Check out their website and see what you think of it.

DustyShinigami 03-14-2009 04:56 AM

The Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge? No talking in those. Just text.

In fact you can play the majority of games without talking by just disabling speech and enabling subtitles. :P