You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure GK3 Rennes-le-Chateau vs. reality - feature article with photos

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Default GK3 Rennes-le-Chateau vs. reality - feature article with photos

I wanted to advertise a post on my blog (so someone hopefully will come and read it) about my trip to Rennes-le-Chateau and how the real city compares to the virtual version from Gabriel Knight 3. It's titled "Gabriel Knight, you liar!" . I've put in plenty of high resolution photos - you can see where exactly places like Sauniere's church, Villa Bethania, Tour Magdala are really located and how you move from one to another. If you're interested, follow this link.

I encourage adventure game fans to visit the game section of my newly started blog regularly. It is dedicated mostly (but not exclusively) to independent, lesser known (also underground) adventure games and various fan initiatives. In the coming weeks I will post reviews for Tale of a Hero, Edna & Harvey and A Second Face, and also some pretty exclusive interviews (I won't reveal with whom yet ).

Last edited by Ascovel; 02-25-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
recovering AG addict

nice pics,
I remember though an earlier post here on AG (some years ago now...), where another GK fan also made pictures in Rennes-le-Chateau.

Jaap

Max: Right! We'll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That's spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaap View Post
nice pics,
I remember though an earlier post here on AG (some years ago now...), where another GK fan also made pictures in Rennes-le-Chateau.
I remember pics at Just Adventure as well. Lots of dedicated fans doing a pilgrimage to France. Don't think I've seen pics of Gabe's werewolf homeland... would be nice if someone took the time to visit the castles, the Hunting Lodge, Gabe's lawyer, and the woman selling Weisswurst.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Don't think I've seen pics of Gabe's werewolf homeland... would be nice if someone took the time to visit the castles, the Hunting Lodge, Gabe's lawyer, and the woman selling Weisswurst.
There is a Real Life Locations Tour. It's a great tour and following this link you can easily watch the intro, with the following installments on the right.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #5

I think the author of that blog is making a big deal out of it. It's a game for crying out loud, not a documentary.

And if you do want to know a bit more about the mystery get yourself a copy of the "Holy blood and the holy grail". A brilliant book FILLED with evidence and stuff on templars, Rennes-le-Chateau, the order of Sion, and of course (DaVinci code got the basics from this book) - Jesus.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

Thanks, Andrea, you made my day!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysryn View Post
And if you do want to know a bit more about the mystery get yourself a copy of the "Holy blood and the holy grail". A brilliant book FILLED with evidence and stuff on templars, Rennes-le-Chateau, the order of Sion, and of course (DaVinci code got the basics from this book) - Jesus.
Indeed a brilliant book, which served as Jane Jensen's primary inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Thanks, Andrea, you made my day!
I'm glad to!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysryn View Post
I think the author of that blog is making a big deal out of it. It's a game for crying out loud, not a documentary.
The author of that blog isn't completely serious in his comments. It just seemed like a fun way to write about his visit to the town and how it differs from the game version.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #9

I was in Europe a couple years ago and took these:

Schloss Neuschwanstein

Tour Magdela

Inside Mary Magdelne Church

I forget what you saw looking through this. It was a little on the tall side (I'm 6' and I remember still having to jump to see through it)

Chateau Serras

Rennes-les-Bains (Which, I have to tell you, was a very creepy town. Almost deserted. We walked a few trails trying to come across the Devils Armchair but we never did find it and we were short in time to get back to Montpellier for the TGV back to Paris)

We also went to Carcassone, but I don't have any photos online of the Citadel.

And Ironically enough, when in Paris, they were promoting Da Vinci Code
Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #10

We also visited Ludwig's other two Castles, Hohenschwangau, and Herrinchemisee. As well as strolled the Marienplatz in Munich. (I have photos but thought I was pushing it with the previous post as it were).

I've also got a collection of locations from GK1 as well from New Orleans.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #11

Your photos are beautiful, Taylor. I'm speaking for myself, and I'll be glad to see other pictures! Thanks for sharing!

(And also thank to Ascovel and that blog author )

Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #12

I'll see if I can't piece together an album of all the GK related photos I can find so I can provide just a link rather than dozens of high-res photos in the forum.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #13

Amazing pics . . . what nostalgia for these games!

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #14

Beautiful pictures... It's great how a simple "mystery" story get's you a whole other feeling about a place
Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #15

Gabriel Knight Locations

I know I have a photo of Napoleons somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Same for the Voodoo Musuem. Which exists (or at least, did exist) but looks nothing like the place in the game.

BTW, The ones from Europe are 2006 and some of the NOLA ones are 2007 and some are 2003.

Last edited by Taylor; 02-24-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Nice pictures, Taylor. For me the New Orleans ones are especially interesting since I didn't see that town beyond what was shown in the Angel Heart movie.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #17

New Orleans is a beautiful place. Culturally anyhow.

After 3 trips I have hundreds of other photos of other things in NOLA. The Quarter was largely (and fortunately for tourism) untouched by Katrina, however we could see (in 07) how it effected commerce in the area, as well as tourism. I'd say it was maybe 90% back, but a few too many vacant buildings and while the people were still quite friendly you could get a sense things have been tough... considering the recession now, I really feel for them.

It's truely a very unique city, almost it's own country within the U.S. It and Las Vegas are very much must-see's for anyone in the US as they often exceed everyones expectations. Plus both places are great for foodies and entertainment.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #18
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Wow,

I have had a plan for years to visit Rennes-le-Chateau with a friend of mine, but it has not yet happened because we were very poor students, but in the future I hope things are different. Though of course we are both now in relationships with women who stole our hearts so who knows will our trip ever happen.

I also would really love to visit New Orleans!

Last summer I was supposed to go to a car road trip through Europe with this said friend and two others guys but I kind of left them by themselves and escaped to Japan at the beginning of the trip to see my girl and the land of the rising sun.

My friend and the two other guys visited the Schloss Neuschwanstein. I really envy them, it's a huge and breathtaking looking castle and I would've liked to visit that as well, too bad I couldn't be in two places at the same time.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
Senior *female* member

Taylor, is the MarienbrĂĽke near Neuschwanstein in your pic the same old rickety bridge of the last scene of GK2, where Gabe and Gracie are leaning against the wooden railing? Huuuuuuuuu!!! Splendid view, if you're not afraid of heights...
Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #20

Man, the photos in this thread and on Ascovel's blog are amazingly awesome! Nice work, guys.