You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Overclocked Unresolved questions? (Spoilers)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Adventurer

Default Overclocked Unresolved questions? (Spoilers)

Hi,

Just finished Overclocked and was quite impressed. Though not perfect, it told an interesting story and was very entertaining. (Not to mention the awesome soundtrack!)

But though I felt the ending wrapped up almost all the loose ends, I felt some were left hanging.
I was hoping there'd be someone here who'd be able to help me out...
1. Cell #4 had to clean up a huge pool of blood outside cell #2's room. Whose was it? It seemed an excessive puddle to never get explained.
2. Also, who was the mystery shooter? Was it one of the kids? Or someone else? Considering Dave had the actual footage in hand, as well as access to the whereabouts of all parties involved at the time (video cameras in all the kids' rooms) I was disappointed this was never explained.

I'd also ask about the cop car at the end, but I assume that that can be left to the players' imaginations. I was a little disappointed about his wife being there at the end... it felt a little too "forced happy" (or at least "forced bitter-sweet")

Hopefully there's someone here who knows a bit more...
Thanks,
William
Old 02-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I felt like the wife being there was a trap for David. She made him think she was getting back together and that allowed for the cops to come in and arrest him (which depressed me). That was my take on the end.

I found it difficult to play the game as it was going on because Davis was digging himself further and further in the hole and just losing it. It was uncomfortable and sad. It helped to know the explanation for why he was being so violent, but then my interpretation of the ending made me sad again, as I wonder if anyone believed what he had uncovered.

I'll have to think about the other questions.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

Interesting. I would have to replay the game, but I would say Oveclocked was the best AG I've played since the early days.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I felt like the wife being there was a trap for David. She made him think she was getting back together and that allowed for the cops to come in and arrest him (which depressed me). That was my take on the end.
I'm not sure what this says about me as a person, but I prefer your take on the ending. It fits with the story better in my mind. I mean, the "bad guy" turns out to be the american army and David's going to take them down with two tapes and a hard drive?
Maybe this ending is more depressing, but it was at least different from an "and they all lived happily ever after" ending. It also made no sense to me that his wife would go back to him.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior *female* member

I think the blood and the shooting was part of the messing with the kids' minds. Wasn't there a tape of the shooting? I'm not at all sure, my memory may be playing tricks with me.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I felt like the wife being there was a trap for David. She made him think she was getting back together and that allowed for the cops to come in and arrest him (which depressed me).
That makes sense. I had a different, more possivite idea. At the end of the game, David sorts things up somewhat, regarding his past and his wife. She forgives him, the cops do find him, but the whole scandal is revealed in a lengthy trial. After a brief period in jail (or, not even that), the two rejoin and live happily ever after. With a little help from therapy, of course.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

I don't mind a sad ending as long as it doesn't feel false. I felt everything worked in the most realistic way it could given the story.

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 09-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #8

The theory about his wife being a trap for the cops was honestly stupid.

I really liked this game but was like so many other dissepointed in the ending. Both beacuse it turned out to be dull and clische and also because it became a forced "happy ending" with his wife.

If there would be any reason why she would come back again so soon it would be if she realized her husband (David) had been influensed by the Goliath program and combat silmulators to lose the control like he did. But its just unlogical the whole thing.

I really liked the game and the maincaracter, i was really emotionally involved in how he feelt and so on.. to bad it ended the way it did.

Still no one has answerd the main questions in this thread beacuse i am also wondering about this.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:05 AM   #9
She Wants Revenge

I never understood the pool of blood either but was there other shooting than the girls in the lighttower? Don't even remember.

For the ending I always thought it was not David and his wife getting back together, it was the wife just forgiving him and consollating him. They had a long history and some strong feelings there, they got things resolved now but it's unlikely everything would go back to the old romance days. On the police note I think I thought the conspiracy would be exposed in the end, they had to arrest him anyway, although I am not too strong about this opinion, it's been a while.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
I never understood the pool of blood either but was there other shooting than the girls in the lighttower? Don't even remember.
Someone was shooting through the doors with a silenced pistol.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Stalker of Britain

My take on the ending was that of other people. That they were coming to amends, not exactly getting back together, but she was forgiving him. I liked the bitter sad ending.

I always thought his friend was going out with his wife, though.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
Roman5

I just finished the game. It was brilliant! Excellent voice actor for McNamara. The voice for Ingram was terrible though and I'm pretty sure it's the same actor that plays the scotland yard detective in belief and betrayal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMW View Post
Hi,

2. Also, who was the mystery shooter? Was it one of the kids? Or someone else? Considering Dave had the actual footage in hand, as well as access to the whereabouts of all parties involved at the time (video cameras in all the kids' rooms) I was disappointed this was never explained.
My first thought was that it was David McNamara. From what I could see of the hair and face, it was a strong possibility. My other thought is this. See the screenshots, particularly the third one. Possibly the same kid he rescued but who was now released.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #13
Roman5

In fact, thinking further about it, it may WELL have been McNamara. Think about it. McNamara was himself part of the experiment, hence why he still had outbursts of violence. Prior to being assigned to the case, he might have been the person shooting a gun at each of the five cell doors. The memory erasure part of the experiment perhaps actually worked to some extent, and could account for him not even realising it was him that was in the footage of the video tape.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I just finished the game last week, and my take on the ending is the same as Melanie's. It's depressing to think that the evidence that David collected (tapes, hard drive) may conveniently disappear once the authorities arrive. I wonder if Jonathan and the other kids in hiding will be able to meet up again as planned.

Very interesting theories on the identity of the mystery shooter, Roman5. On what date did the shooting happen? November 8th or 9th? Fort Tilden (where the experiments were being conducted) is supposed to be in Queens, just far enough from both Manhattan and Staten Island. Could David have been in NYC the whole time, his memories altered in some way, and he believed he just arrived from Washington at the start of the game?

Did anyone else suspect early on that David's wife and Terry Ingram were together? (I remember something similar happening at the end of the first Syberia game.)

For some reason, I really liked the voice actor for David in Overclocked too. Not surprisingly, he also provided the voice for Peter Wright in The Moment of Silence.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
Stalker of Britain

Trunkyo-I mentioned above I thought his wife and Terry were going together. Just the way he was over protective of her, and came with her to face David at the end. I felt like all of David's friendships were falling apart at the end, which really pulls me into the game and makes me feel for the character.

I think the only friends he has left are those kids. But I wonder, like Melanie, if the police will just help cover it up.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #16

I think they left the ending open so you could take your pick of endings. If they'd had an unhappy ending with David getting arrested, it would disappoint some players. If they had a happy ending where he gets back with his wife, that would disappoint different players. Since they left it open, players may debate the ending, but ultimately those with a strong preference can choose their own.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:10 AM   #17
Roman5

I suspect they got back together. I think she always loved him more than she could ingram. She had obviously discovered what had happened to him and the whole pentagon goliath brainwashing experiment, and realised he wasn't responsible for his actions.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #18

I just replayed and finished Overclocked and looking back I don't get why I didn't get it the first time round as David actually spells it out for you himself

"I'm still here. My eyes see. My ears hear. My head thinks. The other is dead"

In other words he's in a coma and is imagining getting back together with his wife and the police ariving to close the place down(while in reality they probably never got away from Fort Tilden)

Also to further this statement, his last lines are: "I'm alone. At last." while at the ending it is obvious he is not alone at all. I think these lines symbolize his concience being dieing and his mind slipping into a dream state.

This is indeed a sad ending but I think the most likely solution

Anyway, no matter how you look at it: brilliant game!

Last edited by gray pierce; 09-03-2010 at 04:03 PM.