You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #41

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Are you really, really sure that you aren't referring to Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, the last chapter of the series made in real-time 3D? I'm asking because, in The Beast Within, the exploration of the environments is pretty straightforward, and since you've a map is quite easy to figure out the locations where Gabriel or Grace still have something to do, in order to complete the chapter.
Ok, yes I am referring to that. Yes, the real time 3D version.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #42

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

So put away thy knives and forks my friends. I hate the wrong game. I must own both. Another credit to my vast and wonderful PC library.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy2042 View Post
It´s easy to see how mixed the reactions this series has caused still are. Either you love it or hate it , there´s probably not much room inbetween.
I didn't hate Phantasmagoria, but I certainly didn't love it either. I could certainly see and appreciate the work that had gone into it. I guess my main problem with it is that... well, there isn't much of a game to it, really. The game is split into seven chapters (if memory serves me), with each taking roughly one of the CDs. This keeps CD swapping to a minimum, which is good. However, most chapters have only maybe two or three puzzles that need to be solved. Since you get credit sometimes for just picking up an object, and many of them are available in the first chapter, you can have the ridiculous situation where the progress meter tells you that you've solved a third of the chapter just by watching its opening cutscene. Usually there wasn't any clear goal to the chapter either (unless I missed something), so I had to start by walking through the house and its surroundings to see what had changed since the previous chapter, which I thought was rather tedious.

But all that would have been fine, I guess, despite the unoriginal story and the sometimes cheesy acting, if the final chapter hadn't been such a colossal turn-off for me. Not only was it one trial-and-error death trap after another, but as far as I could tell there was no way to skip the cinematics. Since I got completely stuck on one of them (to the point where even the walkthrough I eventually consulted made me go "Huh!?") I had to watch those particular cinematics over and over and over...

I haven't played the sequel yet, though.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #44
Monkeyboy

Quote:
You can always stop hearing at us
Well, I WAS trying to read a thread about Phantasmagoria
Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #45

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidfrog View Post
So put away thy knives and forks my friends. I hate the wrong game. I must own both. Another credit to my vast and wonderful PC library.
Oh, believe me. It's only a little better. We're not putting away the forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
Well, I WAS trying to read a thread about Phantasmagoria
Since they are both FMV adventures released by Sierra in the same time period (1995 - 1996), it's pretty fair to compare them. By the way, what is your opinion about Phantasmagoria?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #46
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Too easy!
Really? That's not good for my ego. I don't remember my exact score, 650 or something, but the maximum score was higher. Couldn't do the end game without a WT either cause I kept getting shot by Leber for no reason that I could see.
Great ending too, those last words of Gabriel.