You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #21

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

The ending didn't put me off due to the fact that I didn't give a hoot about anything that had happened previously It felt like a failed attempt that being shocking and dark that topped off a failed game that wanted to be shocking and dark.

And I know I'm probably asking for it, but I own GK2, and hated it. Never finished it, though in my defense I played it for the first time last year.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #22
Schattenjäger

It´s easy to see how mixed the reactions this series has caused still are. Either you love it or hate it , there´s probably not much room inbetween.
My Opinion:

Phantasmagoria surely can´t match up with GK2, especially in terms of writing. It´s no comparism BUT i enjoyed (nearly!) every minute of it, no matter how cheesy it might be. There maybe some nostalgic factor involved here as i was maybe 14 when the game came out and back then it seemed to me like a game like Phantasmagoria blew the doors open to a new dimension of adventuregaming. I still love the atmosphere and eventhough the graphics don´t look good from a technical standpoint they manage to create a great mood.
If you see it as movie only it´s obvious it´s worlds away from movies that inspired it such as The Shining, Burnt Offerings, The Haunting etc. but being an active part of the gameworld, it worked for me and even if the actors aren´t exactly brilliant i´ll always prefer real human beings to computer generated characters.

But i´ll also have to say that eventhough i still enjoy Part 1 , i always prefered part2. You nearly can´t compare them, the one thing is rather oldschool horror , part 2 is more of a permanent splatterfestival and a lot more psychological. The acting is a lot better (in general) , the atmosphere is very intensive (and works in a completely different way than in the first game) the technology was a big improvement over the first game and personally i love the mature nature of the whole thing ( part 1 seems nearly familyfriendly compared to it , despite a few really nasty scenes).
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 02-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidfrog View Post
The ending didn't put me off due to the fact that I didn't give a hoot about anything that had happened previously It felt like a failed attempt that being shocking and dark that topped off a failed game that wanted to be shocking and dark.

And I know I'm probably asking for it, but I own GK2, and hated it. Never finished it, though in my defense I played it for the first time last year.
I've never heard someone utter those words before about GK2.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #24

Yeah me niether. Granted the guy who played Gabriel had the right attitude and feel, he just didn't have the right sound. Too bad they couldn't get Tim Curry to voice it over.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #25
Senior *female* member

Quote:
And I know I'm probably asking for it, but I own GK2, and hated it.
Asking for it...? No, no, that's quite alright... just stand still for a moment, will you... we're all friends here and you're entitled to your own opinion. You can tell us all about why you hate GK2 while the water is boiling... rope not too tight, I hope?

Andrea! Light the fire!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #26

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

The fire is already lighted, Fienepien. And the torture instruments ready. The torches hot and ablaze and we have the exorcists right at hand. Should we commence the Ritual of Purification?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #27
Stalker of Britain

Aaaaaaah! I'm glad you guys didn't react so strongly when I said I couldn't really get into Syberia. *runs and hides from mob chasing bidfrog with torches and pitchforks*
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #28
Senior *female* member

I like your way of thinking, Andrea... let's have some fun with him first, we can have him for dinner later. What do you say, should we force him to finish GK2 without a walkthrough and with the maximum score?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
What do you say, should we force him to finish GK2 without a walkthrough and with the maximum score?
Too easy!

I say: we can tie him up and force him playing Codename: Iceman without a walkthrough and with the maximum score. If he succeeds*, he's free; otherwise, we burn him!

*For those fortunate who don't know, C:I is virtually unbeatable.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #30
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Aaaaaaah! I'm glad you guys didn't react so strongly when I said I couldn't really get into Syberia. *runs and hides from mob chasing bidfrog with torches and pitchforks*
I´m running by your side , i still think Syberia was awful and an impostor with nothing valuable under its surface.

Despite that, if you need someone to carry the torches for the GK2-"delinquent" ( ) just send me an e-mail.
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 02-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #31

OK I went digging through my games collection (I go to thrift stores a lot so I have an ocean of PC games), and yes it GK2 that I hate.

Well like I said I'm generally not all that big on third person adventure games. GK2 was just too much wandering around without much motivation or direction. You know, you need to get visit this person, but here's only a vague clue of where they might be. It was the same thing that put me off the Lost Journey.

On the plus I have like triple the number of AG games in my collection than I thought I did. I get games to quickly I never play most of them so I"m not entirely sure what's in my collection.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #32

I'll just sit by and watch. I've got my issues with GK2 but they are minor. I still love the game and the series.

BTW: When you finally roast him save me some of the crackling. Nothing goes better with a nice werewolf story than a big bowl of crackling.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #33

Besides killing me will only make me stronger. I"ll come back, but this time it will be for revenge. Ethereal revenge!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #34
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
It was the same thing that put me off the Lost Journey.
Did you mean "The Longest Journey" or "The Lost Crown", or did you really mean that, and I've just never heard of it?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #35

Oops sorry. I meant The Longest Journey. I really only played that so I could play the sequel, but hated the game due to illogical puzzles and a lack of direction and ended up playing neither.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Well like I said I'm generally not all that big on third person adventure games. GK2 was just too much wandering around without much motivation or direction. You know, you need to get visit this person, but here's only a vague clue of where they might be.
Are you really, really sure that you aren't referring to Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, the last chapter of the series made in real-time 3D? I'm asking because, in The Beast Within, the exploration of the environments is pretty straightforward, and since you've a map is quite easy to figure out the locations where Gabriel or Grace still have something to do, in order to complete the chapter.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #37
fov
Rattenmonster

GK2 does have some hideous moments of not letting you progress until you've clicked on every little thing the game wants you to.

Still, I love it. I loaded it up after it was mentioned on this thread the other day and played part of chapter 1 and it brought me right back to the great memories of the first time I played it. Such atmosphere... the music is great. I'll probably keep playing it this weekend...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #38

An awesome choice, Emily. I replayed it circa a month ago, and it really is an absolute masterpiece.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #39
Monkeyboy

God, I'm sick and tired of hearing about GK2

I used to like the game but you guys are starting to put me of it.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #40

You can always stop hearing at us