You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Minority main characters?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #1

Default Minority main characters?

Other than Grim Fandango I can't seem to think of any adventure games where the main character isn't caucasian. I'm probably mistaken but can anyone name any adventure games where the main character is of a minority group?
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 02-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

Hmmmm... interesting. Off the top of my head, I can give you 1 ducky, 2 dogs, 1 caucasion cockroach, 1 klaymen, at least 8 aliens, and lots of black NPCs, but only 1 native American hero: the police officer in the old and not very good The Elk Moon Murder.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Coktel Vision Fan!

Ellen, the woman from "I have no mouth but i must scream" had ebony skin. She was a playable character, although not the only one.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #4

Grace Nakimura. Maybe she isn't the main character, but you play as her in the last two GK games about half the time.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #5

Well "minority group" rather depends what country you live in! Bur as far as non-caucasian is involved, I agree there aren't many but two playable (though admittedly not THE main character) characters which come to mind are Gracie in Gabriel KNight 1,2 and 3 (playable in 2 & 3 for almost 50% of the time) and Kian (I think the name is) in Dreamfall who's also clearly not Caucasian (though how you define races in Arcadia is a good question!)
Old 02-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #6

Doralice from Lost in Time is an African-American woman, at least a couple of the various playable characters in Bureau 13 are non-Caucasians, and though they might not really count as "real" adventure games, Mixed-Up Mother Goose and Mixed-Up Fairy Tales let you play as children of multiple ethnicities (and of either gender).
Old 02-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #7

The Myst series had a minority main character. It starred me (and everyone else that played it)!

Seriously - would the main character from Return to Mysterious Island be considered a non-caucasian?

Axis from the up-and-coming Heaven? Or the child from Ico (if you consider that an adventure game). Mrs Walker from Syberia? Or the main character from Paradise?

Of course, none of these are real minorities like those from under-developed countries, those with unusual political views, or the usual candidates shunted by society.

One of the real crying shames of the adventure genre is, despite having the best potential for games with a more political edge, they generally don't have any.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this thread...
Old 02-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Does a scotsman complete with kilt count as minority group?

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #9

No, but do tell me what game you're referring to cos I wanna play it.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Stalker of Britain

Oh yes, do tell us, Jaz!!!!!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Hmmmm... but only 1 native American hero: the police officer in the old and not very good The Elk Moon Murder.
There's also "Blackstar, Agent of Justice" and Cryo's "Sacred Amulet" (Aztec: The Curse in the Heart of the City of Gold).

Sacred Amulet is the best one (not much of a compliment, considering how mediocre the others are).

Personally, I would like to see more native american adventure games, but without the "sacred spirits of nature" thing. And something that would avoid victimization. Just cool stuff please. And perhaps more historical stuff too. I really enjoyed that Aztec game, it was a nice breeze of fresh air in the overabundance of egyptian and rennaisance history games.

Also, no one has yet to mention The Shivah, which stars a jewish rabbi. And that's a pretty awesome minority game too.

Last edited by Drunken Irishman; 02-09-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
No, but do tell me what game you're referring to cos I wanna play it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Oh yes, do tell us, Jaz!!!!!

Archibald Applebrook's Abenteuer. I'm afraid it's only available in German though, sorry.

...now I feel a bit guilty for having mentioned it, seeing as you got your hopes up because of that. I'm sorry.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
Stalker of Britain

Awww, man!!!! lol *pout*
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes