You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 1st person game recommendation for a 3rd person fan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to tobacos
Default 1st person game recommendation for a 3rd person fan

I m new here on AG forums and i really like here
seems i have been missing a lot.

i played almost every 3rd person game out there, i also played and enjoyed the Myst series except for
the last one(End Of Ages) that one i didnt really like!,since then it always was my choice for 3rd person games.
i also liked Return to Mysterious Island very much then.
recently i tried Scratches But it was so much like fooling around untill something new would show and happen,
Dark Fall had nice gameplaying style but seemed dull or felt like it made on some little budget.

i guess i could use some help here?!

i need recommendation for a [1st person] game.
better released after 2004

Thank you ALL

Last edited by tobacos; 01-10-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

Do you like puzzles more, like in the Myst games, or characters? I enjoyed the Dark Fall games, so I'm not sure what to suggest to you. For 3rd person, have you played "The Longest Journey"? Well, since you love 3rd person, probably.

And welcome to the forums. lol
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #3

Perhaps you would like Dreamfall: The Longest Journey or Still Life. I really enjoyed those games.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #4

I find that pasting a picture of a character onto your monitor makes a first person game more fun for 3rd person fans like us. I generally use a picture of me in a suit. But sometimes I'll use Duke Nukem or something. Just don't get too big of a cutout or it will block important stuff. Hope it helps!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #5

The Egyptian Prophecy (and other games made by Kheops Studios)
http://www.kheops-studio.fr/site/games.php?lang=2

Bad Mojo Redux (not really first person, more like roach person)

If you like puzzles,
Aura
Safecracker (2006 version)
Schizm 2
Sentinel

There haven't been that many first person games released since 2004 besides those made by Kheops -- not that look better than Dark Fall.

You didn't like Scratches, so I don't know if you'd like Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #6

yeah i played the longest journey and still life,and almost all 3rd person games.

i think i wil try crabapple suggestion for The Egyptian Prophecy,
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

I'm also a third-person fan, so I know where you're coming from.

The Kheops games are great. I haven't played Egyptian Prophecy, but I loved Voyage.

Also this is a little old now, but if you have any interest in Law & Order you might check out those games. I remember being surprised when I realized, about twenty minutes into the first one, that I was playing a first person game. I was so engrossed I hadn't even noticed. I'm a big fan of the TV show, though, so that may have had something to do with it...
Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Bad Mojo Redux (not really first person, more like roach person)
Bad Mojo is a great game, but calling it first-person is stretching it. You move a roach avatar around with the keyboard.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:26 AM   #9

I would recommend Jack the Ripper - although I am not sure whether it had been made after 2004. But the game is an interesting detective adventure with suspense.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 AM   #10
Monkeyboy

I myself is 3rd person man, and the only 1st person games I ever liked were the Tex Murphy games. If you can stomach something made before 2004 I highly recommend Under a Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive(the latter one being my absolute favorite).
No adventurefan should be without these games!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'm too a strict fan of 3rd person adventures, but I agree with Emily. You can't go wrong with Kheops Games (if you can at least support a little dizziness), and I'd strongly recommend Dracula III: The Path of the Dragon.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #12

if you want to go with a REAL first person adventure (i.e. moving around in real 3d) i can also recommend to you 'Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened'. it has three stars here, but i'd give it 4.5/5. Theres a demo available as well if you haven't tried it before.

the sequel 'Arsene Lupin' is good too but i didn't like it as much because it wasn't as dark/atmospheric.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #13

I'm playing Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened for the 1st time. Liking it a lot, the free movement 1st person perspective adds a lot to the immersion to the game (Although having Watson following without seeing him move is creepy... )

Older recommendations: the Tex Murphy series with Under a Killing Moon, Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor. Amazing games with great stories.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post
I'm playing Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened for the 1st time. Liking it a lot, the free movement 1st person perspective adds a lot to the immersion to the game (Although having Watson following without seeing him move is creepy... )
glad someone agrees with me
Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #15

You got me excited to play Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, i ll try it,though i have always my fears towards detective games (agatha,drew,sherlock).

btw....what do u think Delaware St.John series ,i read some reviews specially
on the 2nd part says its a good game?

Last edited by tobacos; 01-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #16

I find all the three of them slightly interesting, but also quite boring, too simply and unimpressive concerning plot, story development and characters. They are brief, nonetheless, and they could be a harmless filler for an afternoon or two.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #17

thankz for the hint andreadraco83.

i like to start with the 2nd part The Town With No Name it seems nice, or do i have to play The Curse of Midnight Manor first?!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
Schattenjäger

Hi Tobacos. I´m not really a big 1.st person fan but some 1.st person games games warmed even my "cold and cruel 3.rd person heart".

The best 1.st person series to me is by far the Tex Murphy series ( part 3-5 used first person). Despite having great (!!!) and amazingly written storys, memorable characters , hours of live acting, stunning atmosphere and perfect soundtracks these 3 games (Under A Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, Tex Murphy: Overseer) used a 3D Engine ( with full freedom of movement) that i consider the probably most effective FP Engine in an adventure i´ve seen so far (gameplay wise).

Here´s a link to the AG review of the Pandora Directive. Maybe this can be your initiation for becoming another "Tex-A-Holic"

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,57

Despite that, the Last Express is an outstanding, innovative 1.st person game with amazing writing and art.

And i can only join the good comments about Dracula 3. I´m not too much of a Kheops fan, but Dracula 3 was one of the most captivating adventure games throughout the recent past for me with its strong atmosphere and rich story that mixed history and fiction in a very impressing way.
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobacos View Post
thankz for the hint andreadraco83.

i like to start with the 2nd part The Town With No Name it seems nice, or do i have to play The Curse of Midnight Manor first?!
They're loosely connected, even if there's a plot point that runs through all the three games. Since the first game will take you no more than an hour and a half to complete, I suggest you to play them in order. Oh, by the way, great voice acting through the course of the three games and - if you want my opinion - the series keeps getting better and a 4th chapter could be a striking bargain, if they keep improving (and if hopefully the quit some tiresome mannerisms they had since The Curse of Midnight Manor)

Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobacos View Post
Dark Fall had nice gameplaying style but seemed dull or felt like it made on some little budget.
That's because it was. Made on a small budget I mean, dull's a little subjective.

I'll wave the small British developer flag here and suggest;

Barrow Hill
Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches

Both good games, but my preference goes to Barrow Hill personally.