You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The most horrible ending...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default The most horrible ending...

Ursulla started a Most Glorious Ending thread, but of course all of us want to know what you think is the most horrible ending you ever saw in an adventure game! So spill your guts and don't hold back .
Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Stalker of Britain

Oh gosh. Now, you all know that I absolutely love the "Dark Fall"s, and stuff, but the ending of "Dark Fall:Lights Out" was horrible for the simple fact that the "computer" voice was so hard to understand! I had no idea what it was saying, and had to go online afterwards to figure out the script. Usually, I'm a little slow on the uptake, and I usually go online to make sure I understood the plot all the way through, and see what other fans had to say about the game. I had to do that with the end of "Scratches", cause I had no idea what that was...I never mind looking online to understand games better, but this I didn't even know where to start.

And the first "Myst", which I love so much. Once you were done...you just sat there. It didn't say "The End", roll credits, etc. You just sat there wondering what else you were supposed to do.

But I love both of these games to death!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #3

Ones that are open ended with no promise of a sequel.

I was disappointed with Dreamfall's ending, but when I heard news there would be more games, I'm not so bothered about the ending anymore.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Uhm, tsa, this is so more difficult than saying the most glorious ending...

Anyway, I've to say Monkey Island 2, closely followed by Versailles 1685
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Uhm, tsa, this is so more difficult than saying the most glorious ending...
I know

The ending of Myst V was pretty bad. There were so many questions left after the game had ended.

Edit: O, and let me not forget the ending of The Pawn on the Commodore 64! Suddenly there was nothing you could do anymore. No 'well done, you are free' or whatever. I'm not even sure I really ended that game.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #6

Still life followed by dreamfall
Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

The Longest Journey. I thought the final revelations were the ultimate insults after the earlier mediocrity. Well, I don't know, maybe it's just the hype and great expectations on my part that made this a horrible experience for me.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Sik

I'd have to say Monkey Island 2. I'm sure I've played games with worse endings... but none that were so brilliant otherwise.

Oh, by the way, I find it amusing that Dreamfall could win polls for both best and worst ending. :p
Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Personally I disliked the Monkey Island 2 ending only until Curse of Monkey Island was released and I've seen how they handled it there.

Simon the Sorcerer 2 had this kind of ending too. OK, maybe slightly better. Yet they solved the situation with a kind of deus ex machina device in the sequel (the 3D one) which was rather unsatisfying.

Last edited by Ascovel; 01-08-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #10

I remember being let down by the ending to Still Life, but knowing that a sequel is in the works lessens some of the pain.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
I remember being let down by the ending to Still Life, but knowing that a sequel is in the works lessens some of the pain.
Unfortunately, from what I've heard the story won't be continued and concluded as it was supposed to in SL2...It will be a completely different story with just a minor reference about how they solved the case in the original game. I hope they do something good with that. Personally I don't have my hopes up.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #12

The Black Mirror

Nice game with horrible ending
Old 01-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #13

How about Mystery Chronicles - Scorpio Ritual. Such a bleak one... I mean they could have done it better for sure I just do not know how...
Old 01-08-2009, 03:35 AM   #14

The Lost Crown. You just sit there and wonder what the h*ll happened. What was the game about? Why did Niegel do what he did? What about all unanswered questions?

The game up til then was the best I have played so far, though.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik View Post
I'd have to say Monkey Island 2. I'm sure I've played games with worse endings... but none that were so brilliant otherwise.
This ending had me angry for a long time. But I have come to realize that:

a) it is part of the game's greatness, and

b) it really is the ending of the series, as originally designed. The rest of the games are ok, but they don't come close to the two first ones, imho.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #16

Of the games I've played recently, Runaway 2 has to be the worst. The box cons you into thinking it will be a full game, and then it suddenly ends half-way through the story with the equivalent of a 'To Be Continued' screen. Dreamfall is also pretty high on the list, but at least we were told beforehand that it was the first half of a two-parter. And the ending of the Faith plotline is moving, though it was the only one that even came close to being properly resolved.

Of course, there are plenty of AGs with terrible endings - in fact, it's getting to the point where I'm surprised and relieved if the ending is not terrible. I'm so tired of seeing good games end with a fifteen-second cutscene that completely fails to wrap up the storyline properly. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of AG endings that I'd consider good, let alone great.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #17
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
How about Mystery Chronicles - Scorpio Ritual. Such a bleak one... I mean they could have done it better for sure I just do not know how...
Ah yes! It was so bleak that in fact I already managed to forget about it because otherwise I would proposed it myself. However, besides the ending the game was very OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
b) it really is the ending of the series, as originally designed.
What makes you think that?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
The Quiet One

Broken Sword 4
The Black Mirror
Dreamfall
Still Life
Simon the Sorcerer II - after such a big journey, solving loads of puzzles, it was disappointing to find out that Simon lost and Sordid won. Very similar to Monkey Island 2.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
(MI 2 ending) What makes you think that?
There are many sources confirming this point, see:
http://www.scummbar.com/resources/articles/index.php?newssniffer=readarticle&article=2
Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #20
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
That's basically just some fan's theory. The ending of Monkey Island 2 suggests the story is not over yet and I remember Ron has been saying he had his own ideas for Monkey Island 3.