You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure (spoilers) THE LAST EXPRESS - everything about this gem game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 AM   #121

Great News !

LAST EXPRESS really deserves to be made into a movie.
I am not a Verhoeven fan but he has a true sense for style, you´ve got to hand it to him.

Also I haven´t seen Zwartboek, his latest movie which takes place during World War 2 which got good reviews.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/

And now for the sad news

Tomi Pierce, co-writer of "The Last Express" passed away earlier this year.
Jordan Mechner wrote a moving memorial, it´s located here...

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ote=1&p=545661
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #122

Those clues are just way too obvious. Could it be anything else other than TLE? I don't think so.

I am most definitely looking forward to this. Of all video game to film adaptations, I consider The Last Express to be among the top ten of worthy candidates. It's such a unique and cinematic game with a terrific story, it's no surprise that a film or novel adaptation would turn up sooner or later. It, being the criminally underrated gem that it is, really missed out on the audience it initially deserved when it was released all those years ago. With the film being released, it should put it back on the radar.

Thank God the film version is being handled by a well-respected and talented director with a pedigree of decent films under his belt (Robocop , Total Recall and Basic Instinct are classics) who hasn't really made a bad film... Showgirls was, er, well... Let me just say that at least he's definitely no Andrzej Bartkowiak. And, thank Christ Uwe Boll has kept his grubby mitts and abysmal film-making efforts away from this picture.

I must say Jordan Mechner is doing alright for himself - two film adaptations of some of his best works of interactive fiction on the way, Prince of Persia and TLE.

Last edited by Manly One; 04-15-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #123

Why does Robert Cath's voice actor only have this one gig on his resumee? I think he pulled off one of the best performances and has one of the best sounding voices in the business.
So mysterious why he never did anything else besides TLE
Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manly One View Post
Those clues are just way too obvious. Could it be anything else other than TLE? I don't think so.

I am most definitely looking forward to this. Of all video game to film adaptations, I consider The Last Express to be among the top ten of worthy candidates. It's such a unique and cinematic game with a terrific story, it's no surprise that a film or novel adaptation would turn up sooner or later. It, being the criminally underrated gem that it is, really missed out on the audience it initially deserved when it was released all those years ago. With the film being released, it should put it back on the radar.

Thank God the film version is being handled by a well-respected and talented director with a pedigree of decent films under his belt (Robocop , Total Recall and Basic Instinct are classics) who hasn't really made a bad film... Showgirls was, er, well... Let me just say that at least he's definitely no Andrzej Bartkowiak. And, thank Christ Uwe Boll has kept his grubby mitts and abysmal film-making efforts away from this picture.

I must say Jordan Mechner is doing alright for himself - two film adaptations of some of his best works of interactive fiction on the way, Prince of Persia and TLE.
Who are Andrzej Bartwhatsisname and the other guy anyway? What games did they screw up?

Also really thrilled about Verhoeven doing TLE. Can't go wrong I think with Mechner invovled and all.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #125

Was bored today and I ended up playing and beating this game for the first time and Im glad I did. Ive been recommended many games on this site that I have enjoyed ie the longest journey, Broken Sword, TMOS, Monkey Island but Im suprised that I never tried this game sooner.
Being its an adventure game and in real time I was expecting it to be a really slow paced title but in actuality its pretty intense with a few moments where you have to think on your toes fast (not unlike Heavy Rain).
Ive been on an adventure game bing the last few weeks including TMOS, overclocked, Sanitarium, Sherlock Holmes, and Memento Mori and this was definitely the best one. Very cinematic and I felt the puzzles were pretty well integrated and not much pixel hunting style gameplay (which is a plus). I enjoy adventure games that have a certain element of danger (broken sword had this too) where your actions actually have consequences. I mean you dont want too much danger or it turns into an action game but I feel like The last Express handled the pacing very well.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #126
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxBandits123 View Post
Was bored today and I ended up playing and beating this game for the first time
Hmmm... Either it is a VERY short and EASY game (which I doubt) or you're a genius (with a lot of time on his hands?). Or...
In order to find out the truth I'll have to try it myself. This ACTION element (which I hate in adventures) has always kept me from starting TLE.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #127
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Hmmm... Either it is a VERY short and EASY game (which I doubt) or you're a genius (with a lot of time on his hands?). Or...
In order to find out the truth I'll have to try it myself. This ACTION element (which I hate in adventures) has always kept me from starting TLE.
The 4 or 5 short fights in the game are not hard and can be skipped. As soon as a fight starts, right-click the egg, click to get back to the fight, do this 3 times in a row and you win the fight.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:23 AM   #128
Senior Passer-by

Thanks for this great tip, Fien . I'll certainly use it.
BTW: How long did it take YOU to finish TLE the first time around?
Would you describe it as short & easy?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:19 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
The 4 or 5 short fights in the game are not hard and can be skipped. As soon as a fight starts, right-click the egg, click to get back to the fight, do this 3 times in a row and you win the fight.
WHAT! I have spent an entire day somewhere between cursing and crying 'cause I could not overcome the stupid fight scene atop of the train and now you tell me I could've skipped that? Thanks a lot Fien!

No seriously thanks, when I replay this game I generally look up a saved game somewhere after the fight to continue but that means I generally miss a small bit of the good stuff as well Now I don't have to do that anymore. Really, honestly, lots of thanks!

BTW: Is there a similar trick with locking the guard in at the St Stefan's Chapter in BS3? Cause I've got the same problem there
Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 AM   #130
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
WHAT! I have spent an entire day somewhere between cursing and crying 'cause I could not overcome the stupid fight scene atop of the train and now you tell me I could've skipped that? Thanks a lot Fien!

No seriously thanks, when I replay this game I generally look up a saved game somewhere after the fight to continue but that means I generally miss a small bit of the good stuff as well Now I don't have to do that anymore. Really, honestly, lots of thanks!
Heheh... I cursed a lot too on top of the train first time I played TLE. That’s the hardest fight and I didn’t know about the cheat, which is not in the manual. (It’s a convoluted cheat, you even have to repeat the steps 4 or more times, not 3 like I said.) I came across it much later in the official strategy guide, page 3 of the introduction. I recently learned that you can find the guide online at

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25895118/T...Strategy-Guide

Zobraks:
Quote:
Thanks for this great tip, Fien . I'll certainly use it.
BTW: How long did it take YOU to finish TLE the first time around?
Would you describe it as short & easy?
I honestly don’t remember how long it took me the first time, too long ago. But it has great replay value and I certainly didn’t finish it within one sitting or one day. I was fascinated from the very first, wanted to see and hear as much as possible, started several games at the same time so I could try different things and see what worked best. I didn't think it was easy, the gameplay is different from "normal" adventures, it's all about understanding what's the heck is going on.

TLE is a unique game and it pays to read the manual. Another piece of advice: your game is saved automatically. When you die or witness a bad ending, you can rewind manually to an earlier time. But it’s best to let the game do the rewinding for you automatically because it will take you back to a moment when you can still change the losing outcome.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #131

well I guess technically the game took me about 2 days and I looked at a walktrhough twice just cause you really have to learn on your own what the heck is going on. So I guess it can take someone 8-12 hours to beat the game and maybe more if you fully explore all the scenes. The review on this website said 50-60 hours of gameplay and Im not exactly sure what game they were playing unless they were talking about replay value. And by danger I didn't mean the fight scenes (only like 4 short ones) but the multiple scenes where if you dont take/hide/or give someone or something the game automatically ends.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I really loved the fight scenes.
I think they´ve been implemented exceptionally well and didn´t feel out of place.
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #133
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

Come to think of it, a successful movie will not only increase the interest to the game it self, but it also might spawn the never made sequel or a remake. Dream on!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel View Post
Come to think of it, a successful movie will not only increase the interest to the game it self, but it also might spawn the never made sequel or a remake. Dream on!
Nooo! They shouldn't do a sequal. The game's perfect as it is. No way a sequal could top that! A remake also seems like an unnecessary edition since the game is in no way outdated. The only thing I can imagine could do with some improvement is the animation. I'd love to see full motion instead of slideshow but other then that it's just perfect.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #135
Senior *female* member

There is full motion in the fights and in a lot of the cut scenes. People walking in the corridor past you, for instance. With modern technology the entire game could have better animation.

@tiocfaidh: Yeah, the combat scenes are well integrated in the game, they make perfect sense in the context of the story.

PS: I DO want a sequel! I want to know about Jerusalem, the thirteenth tribe, Cath's ring.

Last edited by Fien; 04-16-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #136
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

With today's technology, not only animation could be better, but additional depth and interactivity could be added (control over conversations, etc.). I'm sure both a sequel or a remake would be great as long as Jordan Mechner is in charge.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #137

Crap.....they just announced the new project will NOT be an adaption from The Last Express
Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #138

April Fools ^^.

Punishment for neglecting my earlier question >=(

Last edited by Origami; 04-22-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #139

Yes! ^^
Old 05-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #140
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

I just want to recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed TLE: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...-vertigo-years
It really grasps the spirit of the period.