You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure (spoilers) THE LAST EXPRESS - everything about this gem game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #101

Crap, it looks like I own the re-release.

As for your second comment, I own two copies. One in the sealed box and one that's only the discs in the original jewel case. I won't play the one in the box because it's sealed and I won't play the one in the case because I don't have a manual to it and I feel like I would miss out on something if I just jumped into it. Plus, I already have them packaged to go out once somebody buys them.

Anyway, looks like I'll have to track down the original release now. Thanks for that. NOT!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #102
Senior *female* member

Agent, it's none of my business what you do with your games, but I assure you there is absolutely nothing wrong with the rerelease. In case you really want to play The Last Express, here's a piece of good news: the "big" manual of the original is on the third CD of the rerelease. In PDF format.

EDIT: Plus the rerelase has a printed quick reference quide, which you can download at safemanuals.com.

Last edited by Fien; 04-01-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Agent, it's none of my business what you do with your games, but I assure you there is absolutely nothing wrong with the rerelease. In case you really want to play The Last Express, here's a piece of good news: the "big" manual of the original is on the third CD of the rerelease. In PDF format.

EDIT: Plus the rerelase has a printed quick reference quide, which you can download at safemanuals.com.
Sorry, but a re-release just won't do. I need the original. Tis the only way.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #104

Just finished the game for what must be the 10th time by now. And rewound right back to Strasbourg to see the easter egg that was posted here last month. Spooky! Finally, the conductor gets his revenge for all the pointless bell-ringing with the intent of distracting him in order to slip into someone else's compartment...

Some other things I noticed for the first time on this playthrough, which people may know already:

Spoiler:
-Before the concert, you can stand outside the compartment of Sophie and whatsherface, and hear them arguing. That really makes the scene where they hold hands at the concert kind of sweet. The diary later mentions this event (I'd read the diary before, but not at that stage)

-You can show the egg to François. I think this one was mentioned in one of the first posts, but I thought the diabolical look on Cath's face and François's reaction were kind of funny.

-When I'm in Kronos's bedroom, I usually just go straight for the briefcase, but this time, I took a good look around. Next to his bed is a book with several letters of Kronos's agents regarding yourself and Tyler.

-Most people probably noticed this one by mistake at least once: at the very end, if you obey Kronos and close the egg, he gives some new, rather cryptic lines. It's a bad ending, but kind of interesting. It reminds us that there are some things that we may never know about Cath, unless a sequel is made, I suppose.

Perhaps I'm not telling anything new here, but I thought it'd be nice to register and mention it. And of course, to pay respect to this amazing game.

Last edited by wwsd; 04-04-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:02 AM   #105
Senior *female* member

Welcome to the forum, wwsd. Always nice to meet fellow travelers on the Last Express.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #106

Hehe, I still have the original release with the big box. Anyone here like me who keep all the boxes in my closet? I have like a hundred of them and most of them are adventure games. Anyway, this is one of my favorite games of all time...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 04-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #107
It's Hard To Be Humble

I keep all of my boxes too, folded down and stashed away in a drawer. Unfortunately, I don't have the Last Express box, as the copy I played was my friend's Broderbund original a long time ago. Nice package, though.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #108

Well, I did it. I bought a boxed original. So great, now I have a boxed original, a boxed rerelease and one just in a jewel case.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #109
Senior *female* member

Are you going to play the game now?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #110

Lol...yes, because the original release isn't sealed. I'll read the manual and get right down to it.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #111
Senior *female* member

Let us know how you like it!
Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #112

I just realized that I own three copies of a game I've never played...

Thanks Fien!
Old 04-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #113
It's Hard To Be Humble

Collecting is hell on the budget. I've only bought a couple of games that I deliberately don't play, and none of them are sealed. Not my bag.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #114
Senior *female* member

No need to thank me, I didn't pay for them.
And I did everything in my power to make you play the one in the jewel case.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Collecting is hell on the budget. I've only bought a couple of games that I deliberately don't play, and none of them are sealed. Not my bag.
I used to get a lot of mine at flea markets for next to nothing, but now that I moved, the flea market here sucks.

I did get a sealed Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis for $5.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #116

Stumbled upon some news today and I thought they were important enough to create my own account (I had to share it with someone).

http://movies.ign.com/articles/108/1083420p1.html

So basically there is talk of a TLE movie adaption, and although this is still a rumor at the moment it doesn't sound THAT far-fetched. Only slightly...

"Is an all-but-forgotten game from 13 years ago a good choice to turn into a movie?" the writer asks at the end. Not as forgotten as he might think. Anyway, thought you might wanna know.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #117
Senior *female* member

Thanks, Insomniac! Over the years there have been rumors of a TLE movie, but this time it looks like it could be true. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not too crazy about Paul Verhoeven, although I liked his older Dutch movies (The Fourth Man, for instance). If he is indeed talking about The Last Express, I'm glad that Jordan Mechnor is involved in the scripting. Here's a video clip:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/04/13...n-set-in-1914/
Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 AM   #118

Came here to post the same news. Eh..Insomniac beat me to it =(
Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 AM   #119

huh...?! interesting news... i wish the result was hilarious... nothing less :-) Verhoeven is a capable director and if it has Jordan Mechner's script, i am not too much worried.
thx for posting it here.

Last edited by veruncheek; 04-14-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #120
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

Wow, one could only wish this were true. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

As far as impossible speculations go, I'd love to see an Orson Welles directed TLE movie with himself as Kronos and Joseph Cotten as Cath.