You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure (spoilers) THE LAST EXPRESS - everything about this gem game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #41

There is a conversation I didn't see mentioned(yet) in the official guide.

Anyone tried returning the passengers list in Renee's magazine? The headchef will have a conversation with him about him having retrieved the list.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious. =)
Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #42

Another thing not mentioned is that the conversation between Schmidt and Anna, on Day 2 before the concert in the dining compartment, alters a bit if you don't talk to Schmidt.

If you do he says something about defending Wolff's seat and if you don't he says something else but can't remember.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #43
Senior *female* member

Glad to see you managed to get your hands on the official guide...

It never occurred to me to give the list back to the conductor, great idea. Don't understand what you mean by "if you don't talk to Schmidt"? And I don't remember anything said about defending Anna's seat, I really should play TLE again soon.

You're very thorough, Origami! Thanks and keep up the good work.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #44

"Glad to see you managed to get your hands on the official guide... "
Yes I have a very kind person on this board to thank for that. ^_^

Sometimes conversations alter depending on your interference or not.
So in this case, if you don't have the conversation with Schmidt where he says: "As a matter of fact, I am waiting for a lady" and Cath says that awesome line "well good luck waiting.", his conversation with Anna(when she arrives to dine with him) starts a bit differently.

If you talked with Schmidt he says something like "I have been a little soldier fighting off all the people that wanted to sit in your seat"

If you don't talk, I think he reminds Anna of his regret of not being able to travel along with her till Constaninople.

And yes....I am very thorough....although I might have to blame a obsessive compulse for that >_>.
But it is rewarding being thorough as I enjoy a game over a longer period of time.There is no feeling more worse than finishing an awesome game and saying goodbye to your characters, knowing you will never hear anything more from them anymore.

Lol....ik vind het grappig dat we nog nooit nederlandse woorden hebben uitgewisseld. Soms zie ik je echt aan als iemand uit de US.
Yes....me saying this might come off as awkward, but I find it quite the funny experience.....*ugh* it's late I am off to bed.

And umm.......I just found out that you're a woman....and not a man...so...yeah...*runs*

Last edited by Origami; 08-24-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #45

Yes, there are plenty of those "little things" - conversations that differ depending on what you do... It is not possible to mention everything, but it is great to try and discover it... The game system is very intelligent or how to describe it, thought the game is short, the real-time aspect allows you to play it number of times nad not be bored.

I am glad you enjoy the game so much!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #46
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
If you talked with Schmidt he says something like "I have been a little soldier fighting off all the people that wanted to sit in your seat"
Yeah, I remember now.

Quote:
Lol....ik vind het grappig dat we nog nooit nederlandse woorden hebben uitgewisseld. Soms zie ik je echt aan als iemand uit de US.
But we did speak Dutch in private. And Fien is definitely a woman's name. Don't worry though, no need to run, I'm very old... ancient really. Probably your grandmother's age.

I'm going to wait till you've finished TLE and then replay the game. In the meantime I'm making a list of all the things you've discovered that I haven't seen, so please keep posting interesting details!

PS: I've tried many times to enter the eunuch's compartment. In vain. I read a long time ago that this was possible at a certain point in the game. But that may have been a hoax, I don't know.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:12 AM   #47

A grandmother playing adventure games? Yeah right.........

"PS: I've tried many times to enter the eunuch's compartment. In vain. I read a long time ago that this was possible at a certain point in the game. But that may have been a hoax, I don't know. "

Lol nice try into stimulating me to find out how. I am not your errand boy!!!
No...I might experiment some on opening that door....

BTW: I heard that there is turkish in the game? I am able to translate that if that's true, so there is something to look forward to.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #48
Senior *female* member

Quote:
A grandmother playing adventure games? Yeah right.........
Sigh... live and learn, dearie. I'm 61 years old and I've been playing adventures for 24 years. And your age is...?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #49

And out of those 24 years Last Express is your favourite?
And how do your children react to you being an avid gamer?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #50
Senior *female* member

Quote:
And out of those 24 years Last Express is your favourite?
No. I have several favorites. I have a Top Ten, sort of. But they're really all equal. This whole idea of having a number One, a number Two, etcetera is unrealistic. One day I love The Neverhood best, the next day Bad Mojo, today The Last Express.

I'm not the only older gamer here. Not by a long shot.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #51

Today i finished The last Express for the first time. I am completely blown away by this game. Played almost non stop yesterday ... all day... all night. Fantastic game.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #52
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Today i finished The last Express for the first time. I am completely blown away by this game. Played almost non stop yesterday ... all day... all night. Fantastic game.
Welcome to the evergrowing TLE fan club!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #53
Stalker of Britain

I've been skimming through a few posts in this thread, and I must say, I really want to play this game. It looks great. I saw a preview that came with another game, although I don't remember now which one it was.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #54

Lol....I had 2 occasions where I had to laugh again.

1# when Robert shows Francois the egg. The smile Robert puts on is just too pedophilish-like haha!

2# When Robert danced with August. That was an awesome scene and Robert really showed a natuarl reaction to the situation. This amused embarrassment. I really want to know who the motion capture did for Robert Cath. And his voice. But I want to see pictures.

I want one thing dissapointing. The lack of dialog between Alexai and Robert. Alexai is a cool character and I wish he and Robert would talk more.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #55

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I finished the game...*snif*. Owh man...I feel real sad knowing that we'll never see Robert Cath again. He(and the rest of the cast) where such magnificent characters.

Spoiler:
And what a splendid ending with some of the coolest twists. I didn't expect THAT person to be Tyler Whitney's murderer(suicide >_>). And what a sad ending for Tatiana. She deserved much better. Also....did Abbott die at the end? If so...that wasn't really necessary. Characters for comic relief shouldn't be killed off.

But yeah...like others, I am really curious about that tower in Cath's dream, his ring, his "powers", 13th tribe and the manuscript.

My oh my...what a powerful ending...

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 08-29-2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #56

After pondering about it...I have this theory about the Firebird.
Spoiler:
I think it has like 2 modes. A "good" and "bad" mode, like depicted on the pictures which are active at certain times. Like..If you trigger the Firebird at noon it sings and at night it becomes a weapon.
That would explain why Kronos remarked about the sunset.
That could explain Tylers death, as he already knew about the Firebirds secret but didn't know if you did it at the time the death woman is shown, you're in danger. This would further backup he accidentally killing himself.
Maybe that also explains how the servant in the story in the book really got killed. Not by the emperor, but by the Firebird. But people who walked into the scene interpreted it as the emperor killing the servant...............no that might be too farfetched.

Last edited by Origami; 08-29-2009 at 04:50 AM. Reason: This might need spoiler tags too
Old 09-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #57

Where can I find Anna's violin solo that is heard when she's practicing on the 2nd day in the moring.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #58

Quote:
Where can I find Anna's violin solo that is heard when she's practicing on the 2nd day in the moring.
Nowhere, but I put some mp3s of my fave conversations and this kind of music here /it is extracted from original game CDs, where can be found many nice things, but do not ask me how to extract it, rather google it/

http://booksonfilm.ic.cz/books_on_film/TLE/
Old 09-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #59
Senior *female* member

Thanks, veruncheek! There was one conversation I hadn't heard before, the one with Schmidt about him "taking music lessons"... hehe.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #60
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

I just finished replaying this magnificent title for the 6th or 7th time. Need I say my impressions were not by the least diminished? Once again I was shattered, once again I felt completely immersed on the doomed train. Grand, really grand.

New stuff I found during this replay:
Spoiler:

- Not only could you spy while Anna is dressing, but you could satisfy your voyeur urge while she was sleeping, too.

- You could evade the whole police chase altogether if you disposed of Tyler's body at night

- Several documents I had missed, such as Tatyana's draft for a farewell letter to Alexey.

- Very slight intonational irony Cath utilises when speaking to certain characters, like Kronos and Abbot. For a line or two, he mocks their articulation. I had either missed or forgotten that.

Even after so many passages, the last Orient Express apparently has even more things concealed, and I've scheduled my next replaying of this unique game for the summer of 2012. Till then.

---
"He's well known as a champion for freedom and justice in countries other than his own."