You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
Thanks everyone!

Should I play Broken Sword 2.5 after 2?
I would say finish the series first, as this story will of course be non-canon. (they started working on it before broken sword 3 was announced)

Also, by the time you have finished 1-4, they may have released the english voice pack (which i am waiting for with baited breath, having provided voicework for two of the characters. )
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Hey, BS2 is definitely worth playing. BS1 is a great game, and BS2 is a very good game. If BS1 didn't exist BS2 is good enough to be remembered on its own merits. It only looks "bad" as its stuck in the immense shadow of the superb first game.

The Broken Sword series is a great series of games and a must for anyone serious about adventure. But if you're going to play it I recommend starting with BS1 on the PC. I'm really looking forward to the DS directors cut but I think to truly enjoy the full quality of the work that went in to the original you should play the full screen full sound original. Its an absolute classic which will work on almost any Windows/Linux/Mac system now thanks to the stellar work of the ScummVM, all you need is the CDs.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #23

I agree Dom. I think taken on its own, broken sword 2 is a fine game. It only suffers due to the shadow cast by its predecessor.

The first game, whilst quite linear, gave the illusion of exploration and a deepening mystery with its use of the map portal and other factors such as the use of the phone system.

Broken sword 2 on the other hand was fairly linear, and in some ways this could feel a step back, whilst also shortening the length. The story was also abit more generic and B movie than the originals. Perhaps this was, as previously mentioned, because the sequel was rushed out the door to ride the success of the shadow of the templars (or the circle of blood in the usa)
It could also be due to contractual agreements with don bluth, who provided the artwork? but thats just speculation

As you mentioned, Scummvm works great with these old classics, and you actually dont even need the disks anymore: just copy the relevant files to your harddrive, download the newly formatted cutscenes (provided by revolution themselves on the scummvm website) and your golden.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #24

I just ordered Broken Sword 1 & 2, thanks everyone!

Couple questions about the 2 games, can I die? Can I get stuck? Any difficult puzzles I should know about in advance? What are these GOAT puzzles I hear about?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
I just ordered Broken Sword 1 & 2, thanks everyone!

Couple questions about the 2 games, can I die? Can I get stuck? Any difficult puzzles I should know about in advance? What are these GOAT puzzles I hear about?

Thanks!
You can die only in broken sword 1 on a couple of occasions. There are no dead ends. There's ONE goat puzzle and it's in BS1 and you will know when you see it .