You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tips - adventure games with gloomy atmospheres

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #21
Stalker of Britain

Wow, that is mature. I like dark games, just like the original poster, and I am intrueged. And the more and more I learn about this game and want it, the more frustrated I get it's no expensive!!!! lol
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #22

I´d mention The Dark Half, but from what I´ve heard, it´s credited as one of the worst AGs ever produced on the surface of this planet.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #23
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Well I must admit that I never completed it either. Too disturbing, and usually I'm all for unsettling games (and, in general, stories), but this one is just too disturbing from times to times. One day, anyway, I'll have to finish it!
I had the same problem with this game. The concentration camp chapter was what really got me (and I still had two chapters before me). Still, the gameplay was very interesting and I want to come back to this title someday as well. Especially since I'm a fan of the Darkseed series from the same company.

I also gave up during playing Blackstone Chronicles, but for good actually. I felt the creators tried to hard to manipulate me emotionally and I hated that.

Last edited by Ascovel; 12-22-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
I had the same problem with this game. The concentration camp chapter was what really got me (and I still had two chapters before me).
It was the same for me. Especially for us Europeans, our American and trans-oceanic friends will forgive me , it is a page so disturbing of our recent history that, at least for me, it requires really a supreme sensibility not to become quickly distasteful.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #25

I've also played "I have no mouth and I must scream" and wasn't able to finish it... But for completely different reasons. Personally I enjoyed the game and the theme didn't bother me at all. The reason I didn't finish it was because of a bug the game had...I don't recall exactly, I think it was some object that I was supposed to get but couldn't...or something like that.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #26
Super Moderator

You can get I Have No Mouth at Harlan Ellison's own website. I don't know if he ships overseas though.

http://harlanellison.com/home.htm
Old 12-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #27

Wow, that's some dedicated website mod over there at harlanellison.com. After reading this I must assume Harlan is a real star. Is he really? Tell me please

As for gloomy: Scratches. Oh sorry you have that already

Elvira then if you can stand the RPG elements.

Carry on...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #28
Codger

Of those you haven't played:

Post Mortem
Barrow Hill
Amber
Black Dahlia

Perhaps:

Reah
Lighthouse
Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #29
Stalker of Britain

Wow. I tried to look up some reviews to some of the games you mentioned; Dark Half, Dark Seed, Dreamweb, Reah...couldn't hardly find any info, and no reviews. I'm gonna look a bit deeper.

"I Have No Mouth" sounds a bit hard-core. But I loved Blackstone Chronicles, so if it's anything like that, I'll probably like it. I tend to like pretty dark subject material.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-23-2008, 03:29 AM   #30
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Wow. I tried to look up some reviews to some of the games you mentioned; Dark Half, Dark Seed, Dreamweb, Reah...couldn't hardly find any info, and no reviews. I'm gonna look a bit deeper.
Here are some reviews on Dark Seed 1+2 and Dreamweb

Dark Seed:
http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/reviews/29/

Dark Seed2
http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/reviews/30/

Dreamweb
http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/reviews/221/
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 12-23-2008, 03:51 AM   #31
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

These reviews are quite negative and don't reflect the games' quality too well in my opinion. I recommend searching Mobygames for more varied opinions on them to get a more comprehensive look.

Last edited by Ascovel; 12-23-2008 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #32

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

And here's another take on DreamWeb.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #33
Hopeful skeptic

I'd definitely add Zork Nemesis and Faust/Seven Games of the Soul to this list.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #34
Stalker of Britain

Really? I tried to play Seven Games of the Soul, and I got so bored with the plot that I quit. May I ask why you think it's good, please?
Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #35

I really enjoyed Post Mortem. The dank, dark atmosphere is definitely why I remember it so fondly.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #36
Staff Member

If you don't care about the graphics (there are none) try the text adventure Shrapnel which is pretty unsettling and nihilistic.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #37
LA-S-LE

Shadow of the Comet is beautifully crafted and is full of gloomy atmosphere to the top, without being bloody or scary as hell. That's what Lovecraft is all about.
Blackstone Chronicles/Dark Fall are great examples of spooky ghost stories, while the first one is more of psychological thriller.
Dark Eye is another lovable experiment with man's mind, very disturbing and out-of-box.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #38
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Really? I tried to play Seven Games of the Soul, and I got so bored with the plot that I quit. May I ask why you think it's good, please?
You certainly may.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #39
Stalker of Britain

Why, thank you for the link! You just may change my mind on it!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #40
Adventurer

I would suggest the Penumbra series. It is definetly gloomy, it kind of takes you to another world a couple of times(your own mind, to be exact), and there have definetly been murders...

A screenshot. | Another one.

Just Finished: Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

Currently Playing: The Secrets of Atlantis