You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure GOG.com has various old games (a couple free, others for $)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #1

Default GOG.com has various old games (a couple free, others for $)

Nothing new on the free part, but as some of you know GOG (good old games) releases all old games FULLY PLAYABLE ON VISTA and XP. Great news for me because I had like a 2 hour experience trying to play BASS last time I did on XP.

I've never tried Lure of the Temptress, so I'm thinking of loading that up and giving it a whirl on this cold snowy day.

Enjoy!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Psychonaut

Both work perfectly well using ScummVM so windows platform doesn't really matter.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #3

And they've been free forever, on the ScummVM website.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #4

The benefit of the gog.com is that is has a windows installer that does all the work for you.

I assume they use scummvm.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Both work perfectly well using ScummVM so windows platform doesn't really matter.
You're correct. Really it is just ease of use, and the fact that my child-like love for GOG grows with every release. Hehe. Although good news for people like me who had a hell of time running BASS under WinXP. I've since upgraded to Vista, and I am suprisngly happy with it. Really is a very solid OS.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #6

Default GOG.com (oops, accidentally deleted rest of title)

Been looking for Feeble Files, only 5.99 which is cheaper than ebay usually.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #7

i'm hoping some older/different adventure classics will make it onto that site soon too. hopefully they can secure a deal with lucasarts/sierra somehow, althought i doubt it.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I merged the two threads, so all of the GOG news could be in one place. When I went to edit the title, I started editing the title of the newest thread and deleted some of it. Sorry.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #9

Has anyone ordered from the site and is it reliable?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
Has anyone ordered from the site and is it reliable?
Yup, got Feeble Files from them. Fast downloads and a good community, the purchase was reliable.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
Yup, got Feeble Files from them. Fast downloads and a good community, the purchase was reliable.
Great thanks!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
Great thanks!
One more thing - no DRM, so you can make backups/install anywhere. Plus redownload the game anytime.

One hint - the files of games are spread amount multiple files (3 for feeble) and quite large, so better to use a download manager (like Getright) than the browser to download the files for you.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I merged the two threads, so all of the GOG news could be in one place. When I went to edit the title, I started editing the title of the newest thread and deleted some of it. Sorry.
Thats alright melanie! Just wanted to give some credit to GOG, I've been following their releases for some time now, and I like how about 1/4 of the releases have been some classic adv. games, a lot of which are a pain to get running on newer machines. I've got top of line hardware because I like to keep up with newer games as well, so it's nice to be able to just download and play without spending 2 hours figuring out how to get a game running with newer audio and video hardware, not to mention OS.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #14

They are still in beta, so there are growing pains. I had some minor download difficulties initially, but they were quickly resolved... I think it's a good deal. Great classic games with incredibly simple installation, no DRM nonsense and often a bunch of additional goodies like soundtracks and such...

Recommended.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
They are still in beta, so there are growing pains. I had some minor download difficulties initially, but they were quickly resolved... I think it's a good deal. Great classic games with incredibly simple installation, no DRM nonsense and often a bunch of additional goodies like soundtracks and such...

Recommended.
And scanned manual as pdf, which is quite nice. Many of the games I got off ebay for example didn't come with a manual.

And Broken Sword 3 was added today.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #16

Just wanted to share my experience with Gog. I've been using since day 1, and had no problems with any game.
In the last weeks they added a bunch of adventure games, with fast install and working great (using ScummVM or DOSBox). They always have manuals and some nice stuff like artworks or soundtrack.
Has for the download problems, they now give the option to use the Gog downloader (dont really now if it solves anything).

My wishlist for this service right now would be the Tex Murphy series that always give problems running them on XP.

Kind of a bummer they didn't add the first Broken Sword, but the reason is probably the fact that the game is coming in a Director's Cut edition for Wii and DS in March.

Here's just a quick list of the adventure games available for reference:
Broken Sword II
Broken Sword III
Beneath a Steel Sky
Lure of the Temptress
The Feeble Files
Simon the Sorcerer 1
Simon the Sorcerer 2
Kingdom: The Far Reaches
Robinson's Requiem/Deus (Are these adventure or RPG?)
Old 01-08-2009, 04:41 AM   #17
Monkey Island Fan

I didn't get around to playing Beneath a Steel Sky back when it was released. The ease of getting it working via GOG's installer was all the incentive I needed.

Hopefully they add some more adventure games.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #18

Infocom games might be a nice touch also...
Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #19

They just added Simon the Sorcerer 3D in there... Is it really as bad as some reviews make it seem?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
Monkeyboy

the dialogues are funny as always, but the gameplay.... let's just say you are better off not knowing. Just my opinion though.