You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Indy & the Infernal Machine...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Default Indy & the Infernal Machine...

When this title came out, it didn't blip on my radar. I didn't even bother to give it a first glance, but now that I'm going about the business of making my adventure collection more or less complete, I was wondering if...

A) Is it an adventure game?

and

B) Is it any good, or is it as bad as the title suggests?

Maybe its just me, but the infernal bit *REALLY* puts me off on this title. I mean, it sounds like something a crotchy old man would say. Durn kids!

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 03-08-2004, 05:49 PM   #2

It's an action/adventure. I thought the game was pretty good but most people don't really like it. IMO it's worth playing, but it doesn't run on Windows XP.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
Bearly Here

It's not like this astoundingly great game. But it features huge environments that you can roam at will, a lot of free time climbing around places. Very easy combat moments that you can beat using your choice of a mix of stealth and/or direct confrontation. In one level, I had the most fun just running the bad guys down with my jeep.

It's like a thinking person's strategy, shooter, climb, jump and run. There are many easter eggs and related rooms. You can play as Guybrush. Lots of cheat code effects and such.

I have played through it twice. It's like an annual event at our house, Outcast and then Indie and the Machine. It's really easy to find at a cheap price - so what the heck. Give it a go and see what you think.

What!?, aww... it doesn't run on XP?? There goes the annual Indie play-a-thon with my son.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
Disciplined Breakdown

It's like a Tomb Raider game with an Indy Skin. The other Indy games are far superior. Look to Fate of Atlantis or the Last Crusade if your looking for a pure adventure, or The Emperor's Tomb if your looking for one of the greatest action games ever made (yeah I know, not everyone thinks so, but personally I feel once you adapt to the control system, it really is fantastic).
Old 03-09-2004, 07:11 AM   #5
Headbanger

Only part of it is an adventuregame. It was descent but nothing more (but well worth buying if you want a complete collection, like me 8-) ). The Emperors Tomb was much better but not exactly breathtaking either. Fate of Atlantis is on the other hand one of the best games ever made.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:53 AM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

Agreed with everyone here. Average game that's inferior to Emperor's Tomb as an action game, and doesn't hold a candle to FoA for overall quality. Played flawlessly on XP for me, though.

But what's that? Made by who?? LucasArts?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:58 AM   #7
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I really didn't think all that much of Emperors Tomb, but then that's probably because i'm not a console gamer, and lets not kid ourselves, Emperors Tomb was absolutely a console game.
It's not as if I didn't try, I was tolerating the game up until the Von Beck drill chase level, then after about 100 attempts I through the game away in disgust.
Infernal Machine wasn't too bad, it had nice level design and atmophere. It's better than any Tomb Raider game anyway.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:03 AM   #8
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Then its settled, I'll eventually pick up a cheap copy at eBay, if I can't spot one at ElBo.

SWB
Old 03-10-2004, 05:19 AM   #9

Just remember that if you use Windows XP, the majority of people can't get it to work properly.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #10

Infernal Machine has a few faults that prevent it to be trully fun to play, but also has many strong points. If you get a cheap copy, it's certainly worth a try.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:52 PM   #11

I've played through this game recently and I must say I was very pleased with it. It's far from being an adventure game, as it is obvious an action/adventure/platformer title, but it is very good at what it is, with the exception of the use of weapons. Until you are able to get good weapons the combat sequences feel awful and very awkward, but once you get past that, the game really picks up.

It's really long, by the way. It took me more than 20 hours to finish it, so I was busy with it for about two weeks, playing a bit more than one hour daily. I recommend it if you can get it running on a Windows 98 system, as it has graphical glitches under Windows XP. It's a shame Lucasarts never bothered to make it compatible with it, by the way.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:53 AM   #12

personally I didn't like it. I liked "the emperor's tomb" a lot more, becuase it was not as stiff as "the infernal machine", and it had better graphics, more action and more indy-like adventuring. If you like "Tomb Raider" then "Infernal machine" might be worth checking out. Personally I hate "Tomb Raider" with all my heart, and consequently I don't find much good in "infernal Machine" either. I find it very boring jumping around fighting the bad controls and pulling levers all day long.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:11 PM   #13

Let's put it this way...

It's way way WAY better than Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. To tell you the truth, I find it a better game than the Tomb Raider games period. It's Tomb Raider given the proper license. There's only 1 Indiana Jones, and I always thought of Tomb Raider as a rip-off of the Indiana Jones universe.

And many people say Emperor's Tomb is a lot better. Well, that is justifiable, but I'd rather not compare them, cause they're very different games. Both are action games, but then again Final Fantasy and Neverwinter Nights are both RPGs too. Very different games indeed.

Emperor's Tomb bored me by the time I got to the castle. It was simply a beat'em up. Not exceptionally exciting. Infernal Machine was good. I liked that universe a lot better. There was way too much beat'em up in Emperor's Tomb. They should have focused more on the variety of gameplay.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:14 PM   #14
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I played Infernal Machine, got to the snowy area with the bell that you have to ring, got lost running round the level, and gave up. I hate games with confusing geography.

But while I was playing it I loved it. Better than Emperor's Tomb, but way below FOA. Still, if you can get it to work, play it.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #15
Rookie Cop

I agree with most of what has been said.

Tis better than a Tomb Raider game, but contains a lot of glitches IMO.
I gave up due to the glitchyness on my old computer.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:50 PM   #16

Emporer's Tomb was okay, but it had too many frustrating parts on the PC that took away from the games fun. I liked Infernal Machine more because it had a more interesting storyline, as well as some pretty awesome locations. Shambalah Sanctuary and the Egyptian levels are pretty damn cool.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:45 PM   #17
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I liked the fact that Doug Lee was Indy in Infernal Machine.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyWare
I played Infernal Machine, got to the snowy area with the bell that you have to ring, got lost running round the level, and gave up. I hate games with confusing geography.

But while I was playing it I loved it. Better than Emperor's Tomb, but way below FOA. Still, if you can get it to work, play it.
It's really a pity, as there is still a long way to go from this level and the game really gets much, much better after this. If you have the time, go back and finish it, it's definitely worth it.

And I don't think Emperor's Tomb action sequences were bad, granted it felt more like a pure action game but there was enough platform jumping and a few puzzles to make it a very good game.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:51 AM   #19
After 2 years...

An interesting game that will surely give you fun...

and that Sophia appears again is one of the good elements...

[On another note "The emperor's tomp" is way better and it's a very good game ]
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 05-29-2004, 12:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardi
I've played through this game recently and I must say I was very pleased with it. It's far from being an adventure game, as it is obvious an action/adventure/platformer title, but it is very good at what it is, with the exception of the use of weapons. Until you are able to get good weapons the combat sequences feel awful and very awkward, but once you get past that, the game really picks up.

It's really long, by the way. It took me more than 20 hours to finish it, so I was busy with it for about two weeks, playing a bit more than one hour daily. I recommend it if you can get it running on a Windows 98 system, as it has graphical glitches under Windows XP. It's a shame Lucasarts never bothered to make it compatible with it, by the way.
If you played this game all the way through....Then can you help me? Well, on Level 15....Infernal Machine....At the beginning of that level....Well, when he climbs down that ladder into the pit....Well, how does he get through that door across from the ladder in the pit? I tried everything, but, he get won't go. He's suppose to climb down a ladder into the room....But, i don't see a ladder.

Thank you.