You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Color of Murder discussion (game and hint system)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 AM   #1

Default Color of Murder discussion (game and hint system)

Any pros &/or cons ?

To the best of my knowledge there has never been a built in dynamic hint system in any previous Quest/Adventure and if you haven't already done so, i’s maybe worth while playing tCoM just to experience the potentialities of that innovation.

Actually it is not a complete innovation. The last 3 ("old") brilliant Tex Murphy games had an excellent built in hint system.
But this one is just as good and probably better!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #2

I enjoy these games very much and thought the hint system was a welcome addition. Perhaps if the places were listed "one to a page", as it were, it would give away less as seeing three places listed at a glance is so easy to do. I like the way the UHS hint system does this, although I'm sure it's a lot more work. Also, a question as the first clue such as "I wonder where the petroglyphs are?" could help keep the immersion and let the player make the connection that it's time to visit Stina. Otherwise, nice job. It reminded me of the hint system in Return to Zork right down to the odd font on lined paper!

You might want to see my "mini review" in the "Therapy" thread.

Last edited by Dara100; 11-10-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #3

I am not sure but I think Myst IV: Revelation had a built in hint [I could be wrong about which Myst it was].
Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #4

Thanks for pointing me to the mini-review and the interesting comments in the "Therapy" thread.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=23553
Old 11-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Green View Post
Any pros &/or cons ?

To the best of my knowledge there has never been a built in dynamic hint system in any previous Quest/Adventure and if you haven't already done so, i’s maybe worth while playing tCoM just to experience the potentialities of that innovation.

Actually it is not a complete innovation. The last 3 ("old") brilliant Tex Murphy games had an excellent built in hint system.
But this one is just as good and probably better!
O, don't torture me! I just ordered the game yesterday!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #6

Enjoy !
Old 11-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
tsa
Playing character

Thnx, I'm sure I will!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Certified Peter Pan

I hear Keepsake as a hint system, although I haven't seen it. The system in Colour of Murder is really rather direct...not hints, but virtual solutions. But it is accurate, helpful, and fun. Why? Because there are a ton of red herrings in the game, and just when you "think" you need help and go to the hint system, you realize that you've been focusing on the forest not the trees. I said "doh!" many times during that game, but resisted heartily to using the hint system.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

How does the hint system work in this game?

I can think of many games that include hint systems (some I'd even call dynamic ), but since I haven't played this one I'm not sure how it compares.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #10

~~f ov ~~

Hehehe !
Buy it and see --- it's very cheap (on BigFish, for those who use it, much cheaper stil). I think that JA+ shop are selling it also ?

I'd love to see yyour pros and cons (it entailed a heck of a lot of extra work)!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:46 AM   #11
Super Moderator

I'm not going to buy a game just to see how the hint system is, sorry.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #12

Try it. You'll like it! A very good game.

Myst Masterpiece had a hint system, which made it possible for my eight year old nephew to play. It has three levels of hints for the location you are in with the last a dead giveaway.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #13
Psychonaut

There are a ton of adventure games with a built in hint system.

What's so "Dynamic" about this one or is just maketing BS as usual.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #14

~~ Dale ~~

I didn't say to buy it JUST for the hint system.
Even without t, it is IMO,.a good game and VERY well worth the cheap price ~!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Green View Post
I'd love to see yyour pros and cons (it entailed a heck of a lot of extra work)!
Can I take it from this that you were involved in this project somehow?

I like the idea of an in-game system (though as you and others have said, other games have had them before). Nothing breaks the immersion more than having to leave a game to seek help from an external source. Alas, I have a long list of games waiting to be played already but I'll bear it in mind.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #16

Yes I was the tester from the earliest stages till the final beta... also the "Creative Consultant",
Afterwards I posted a walkthrough !
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #17
Psychonaut

Why do you need a walkthrough if it has such a Dynamic hint system.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #18
Afterlife guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
There are a ton of adventure games with a built in hint system.

What's so "Dynamic" about this one or is just maketing BS as usual.
Hi Lucien21,

the system is dynamic for a very simple reason. The game itself is non-linear which means you don't have to follow a straight "corridor" line of solution (think for example Sherlock Holmes and the Rose Tattoo). The in-game hint system keeps track of your progression and is able to provide you "solvable" goals for the moment. Every goal consists of several "sub-goals" needed to complete the goals. There are some slight differenciation as of some goals aren't ordered (you can make subgoals in any order) some are ordered (you need to follow each steps sequentially). The system takes care of this all and thus you always see in the diary only the currently achievable goals and in those goals only currently achievable sub-goals regardles of your in-game position. While the hints themselves are quite give-away, you never see any ahead-spoiler which happens when you for example skim through walkthrough and accidentally read too-much. You can choose how much want you the game to give you nudge (you don't have to display subgoals).

I of course didn't want to go all technical, but you asked directly where's the non-linearity and so I felt I'd reply.

Anyway, I agree with some of the posters in there, my hint system is just a gimmick on top of a really nice game and I think that you should get it because of the game itself (with really nice story and such) and not because you'd see a hint system. As a sidenote, I wouldn't design such system for majority of adventure games because Colour of Murder is quite specific in the level of non-linearity. Usually you would be better off with some sort of UHS structure, but in CoM you sometimes can complete certain goals in really different gameplay time which makes it somewhat hard to track why exactly were you stuck.

Hope this helps,
JK
Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Why do you need a walkthrough if it has such a Dynamic hint system.
Intro to the walkthrough :-
Quote:
There should be no need to use this walkthrough since there is a very sophisticated & detailed hint system built into the game itself! ( It is fully described both in the tutorial and the Manual. )
It has been excellently and almost uniquely devised for a non-linear game so that the player can get help at **** EVERY stage of the game without revealing future gameplay.
~~~~~~ But if you so desire --- carry on ! ~~~~~~
Len Green.
To answer the question:-
**** Some players don't need or want any hints or help in games.
**** Others want a small push here and there,...often when they are stuck merely where to look next!
They don't want to lose immersion in the game to look for a walkthrough or a UHS File or whatever.
The built in Hints gives them all they need without leaving the game.
**** Some find the hints inadequate for their needs. e.g. the Hits might say "go to the red coloured water in the industrial park" and no more.
But that industrial park is large and quire ramified and one can spend a long time looking for that red water. Some players haven’t got the time or patience or interest to explore for a ½ hour or more,
The walkthrough gives much more precise instructions as to how to find the place and help with any problems on the way etc.
**** Finally there are players for whom both the built-in hints and the walkthrough are inadequate,
Just look at GameBoomers Hint Forum for example, or my emails !!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #20

I'm about halfway through the game. In addition to really enjoing the game, I think it's my favourite hint system I've ever come across. Generally I resort to hints because I am stuck and I don't know what to do next. With COM I can see what the next location is and no more, as long as I know I am in the right place, I am usually content to explore until I figure out what I am supposed to do there. When all you need is a nudge in the right direction even UHS can be too much, so I appreciate the hint system in this game.
I also enjoy the non-linearity of this game. In reminds me of Barrow Hill in the way that it's very difficult to get truly stuck - you can have several things on the go at the same time and hopefully in the course of solving your other problems you will either come across the solution to the stickiest one, or come up with a few more problems to keep you occupied while you try to figure it out. I haven't played any of the Carol Reed games before, but this thread intrigued me and I have to say I am enjoying myself quite a bit. The mystery is interesting and I am looking forward to seeing how it all resolves.