You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Are any new frogware Sherlock Holmes games in the works?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #1

Default Are any new frogware Sherlock Holmes games in the works?

I was under the impression that the last two did quite well. I don't want stupid remakes, I want a new one! The last two were the best, freshest adventure games I've played in probably years. I never thought I'd say it, but I really like the 1st person view for them too. It works much better. If they are making a new one, I hope they keep it 1st person.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

Yep, Sherlock vs. Jack the Ripper. Not too much information about it yet, though. I believe Frogwares plans to make future games with the same 1P/3P option as the remastered Awakened.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Yep, Sherlock vs. Jack the Ripper.
Seems intriguing, and it could be a great, dark set! It reminds me of the Serrated Scalpel
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

I'm certainly wondering how they're going to resolve it. Can't have Sherlock failing to solve a case, but it just doesn't seem right to solve the Ripper mystery, either.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Certified Peter Pan

Killers do get away...and it might be someone the government or Royal Family must protect by hiding his/her identity.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 AM   #6

A lot borrowed from From Hell. It's not your fault. It's the argument: coming up with something original is pretty hard on this subject.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:23 AM   #7

Quote:
I believe Frogwares plans to make future games with the same 1P/3P option as the remastered Awakened.

Let's hope. I've always wanted to play their games but the first-person perspective gives me motion sickness. I have played the new Awakened demo and will certainly buy it, and I am looking forward to seeing more 3P games from them.

(The motion sickness problem is weird because I can rocket-jump my way around Quake games without a problem, but Frogware games in particular make me feel disoriented while playing - and their games are a lot more static)
Old 10-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #8

Ah good. It's weird how they aren't making any note of it that I can see on their website, or this one.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
Hopeful skeptic

Or this one? You mean AG? Well, it's in our database for all to see. Can't post or report what we haven't been told, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer
Killers do get away...and it might be someone the government or Royal Family must protect by hiding his/her identity.
Yeah, but getting away isn't the issue. It's his identity being unknown that gives the Ripper case its lingering mystique. A cover-up would get around that in-game, but not for the gamer.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Yeah, but getting away isn't the issue. It's his identity being unknown that gives the Ripper case its lingering mystique. A cover-up would get around that in-game, but not for the gamer.
Yes, the unkonwn identity gives the case its lingering mystique -- so Frogwares capitalizes on it by promising the player to "discover" the killer at the end. Unless they intend to make Jack a recurring character in future Sherlock games, I honestly can't see what's the problem. How is what they're doing different from making "the truth" about the Tunguska Incident or the Holy Grail a basis for a game's plot?

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 11-04-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

I'm not sure I understand your question. I didn't say it'd be a problem for Frogwares. They can do whatever they want with the story, and the mystery is ideal for the hype machine. As a player, however, I'd personally prefer not to see a real-world mystery "solved" by someone who's never wrong.

Of course, the last Jack the Ripper game tried to avoid that very issue with a pathetic non-ending, so that's hardly a good alternative. So, as (all) I said, I'm wondering how they'll resolve it this time.

The treatment of those other stories you mention are more fantasy tales than fact.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:56 AM   #12
Dungeon Master

Ah, you were speaking of your personal preference? Got it. Me, I'll be content if: (a) the mystery and its solution work on their own and (b) facts of the actual Ripper case are not too blatantly changed or ignored to fit it (where "too blatantly" is, of course, subjective). But, even though JtR is not one of them for me, there are real-life enigmas I wouldn't necessarily want to see solved by a fictional genius detective, so I understand your concern.

(And who's to say it won't be a fantasy tale this time? I mean, if Holmes had already fought Cthulhu... )
Old 11-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
(And who's to say it won't be a fantasy tale this time? I mean, if Holmes had already fought Cthulhu... )
Agh! I was trying to forget that!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #14
Hopeful skeptic

Personal preference, yes, but I doubt I'm alone. It was more just a question than anything, though, about whether they'll choose to reveal JtR's identity or not, since Sherlock can't not solve the case.

And actually, before The Awakened came out, I had the same question/concern about how they'd resolve the "reality" of Cthulhu. And unless my memory is failing me (which admittedly it can ), didn't that game...

Spoiler:
... totally avoid the issue by dealing only with cultists? So it seems Frogwares didn't want to settle that question either.