You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What became of the adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Knights Templar

Default What became of the adventure game

Quite an interesting little article

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a...ture-game.html
Old 10-12-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
Adventurer

Quote:
and the final chapter of the Gabriel Knight trilogy is really one Sierra would rather forget.
Woah... what??
Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I totally refuse to comment.

Misinformation aplenty. Trash-bin material.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Monkeyboy

but... you just did?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #5

Also obviously a LucasArts fan.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
but... you just did?
I know. Sorry. Sometimes it's hard to contain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Also obviously a LucasArts fan.
I know.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #7

Here we go again....

Also, collector, yes he seems like a lucas arts fan (as most adventure gamers), what's wrong with that?
Old 10-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #8

Nothing, I like the Lucas Arts games, too. I'm not going to get into a flame war. It just explains something about his tone about the Sierra games.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazsin View Post
Quite an interesting little article

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a...ture-game.html
Nice article. For a high-school student with absolutely no knowledge about adventure games, who did one afternoon of research, that is. But for 'the UK's largest independent entertainment website' it's a disgrace.

Last edited by tsa; 10-12-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added link.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Nothing, I like the Lucas Arts games, too. I'm not going to get into a flame war. It just explains something about his tone about the Sierra games.

Didn't notice anything bad about his tone about sierra games to be honest...Seems to me he liked them too.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
Adventure Game Researcher

I would say a junior High school level essay that would appropriately recieve a C+ for effort and an F for accuracy and value of content. Sigh.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 10-13-2008, 02:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
I would say a junior High school level essay that would appropriately recieve a C+ for effort and an F for accuracy and value of content. Sigh.
Wonderfully said, Christian.

F for accuracy is somehow a good rank, compared to the severe misinformation of the article!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #13
tsa
Playing character

Really, I just read it 'diagonally'. I saw Lucasarts Lucasarts Lucasarts, one mention of Sierra and I thought: "OK, misinformed, not worth reading for real," and dismissed it.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #14

so the golden years are behind us. fans of every genre you can put a name on is saying the same thing each and everyday. for every gem in a genre these writers don't seem to want to point out the dogs that are turning people off. not every fps is/was doom or halflife.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I totally refuse to comment.

Misinformation aplenty. Trash-bin material.
While I would agree the overall quality of it is not too high, I would shun from calling it utter rubbish. (Or, in your words, trash-bin material.)
Anyway, when mentioning your beloved GK 3, I believe the author was merely stating that the conversion to 3D has hurt the game, not that the game itself was bad in all aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Really, I just read it 'diagonally'. I saw Lucasarts Lucasarts Lucasarts, one mention of Sierra and I thought: "OK, misinformed, not worth reading for real," and dismissed it.
The words LucasArts/Lucasfilm are metioned exactly 10x in the article, while Sierra is mentioned 9x + there is a part about On-Line Systems "founded by Ken and Roberta Williams".
Thus, I believe both companies are getting an even share of space in this article.

PS: I have absolutely nothing to do with the aforementioned article, or its author, I just don´t like the way you startet bashing him from all sides.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #16
Knights Templar

3D wrecked the adventure game in my opinion.

Not every other genre going to 3D - but adventure games trying to follow.

I had high hopes for So Blonde but they appear to have made a mess of the install so i'm sending the damn thing back and just buying fifa 09 instead!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
Anyway, when mentioning your beloved GK 3, I believe the author was merely stating that the conversion to 3D has hurt the game, not that the game itself was bad in all aspects.
I disagree. I think that he was pretty clear about it.

Oh, and I don't think that me, or Collector, or Tsa were referring to actual number of times of each mention.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
I'm hard pressed to find any serious inaccuracies, other than those that might be opinion related.

One might make a case that Phantasmagoria was the first CD-only game ported to PC and not MYST. But MYST was a CD-only game only avaiable on Mac's 18 months earlier. It's a factual quibble.

One can certainly argue the statement that Sierra regretted releasing GK3, but that's an argument of opinion rather than an argument of fact. The author may, in fact, be right. If one looks at the gnashing of teeth in another thread regarding Vivendi pulling the plug on the GK support forums, one might easily hear someone at Vivendi saying, "If we hadn't released that game, (GK3,) we could have been out of this business, and never had to look back!"

Almost fifteen years after the original Sierra sale people are still clamoring for more of what came before, only better. (Thus the fan games.)

If this was truly a Jr High School essay assignment, I would rate it an A and not an A+ because of some typos. An A- on facts, only because of the Phantasmagoria question. And certainly an A based on background being given by two of the big guys that were around at the time, Al Lowe and Ron Gilbert.

That said, if this was a High School essay, or above, I might give it a C+. Al Lowe and Ron Gilbert do not define the adventure industry. There should have been more investigation. Where are the quotes from Ken and Roberta?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazsin View Post
3D wrecked the adventure game in my opinion.

Not every other genre going to 3D - but adventure games trying to follow.

I had high hopes for So Blonde but they appear to have made a mess of the install so i'm sending the damn thing back and just buying fifa 09 instead!

Nahhh....you're better off with PES2009....fifa sucks!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #20
Knights Templar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Nahhh....you're better off with PES2009....fifa sucks!
I havent tried it - I found PES 2008 virtually unplayable, but i might download the demo